Review : Sennheiser HD 25-1 II
Jun 23, 2010 at 1:26 AM Post #46 of 145

OK.  Did a bake-off tonight.  All Sennheiser phones: HD555, HD530-II, PX-100, HD25-1-II.

I would give a bit more credit to these phones.  You slam them on, and you go, "whoa, why don't my other phones cover the bass like that?!?"  So yeah, nice linearity.  On bass and drum tracks, you pick up those instruments and the playing really well.  In general, they seem pretty linear and well balanced.

In terms of sound isolation, they are hard to beat.  I really bought these for the office and for airplane travel.  And none of my other phones isolate sound as well as these do.

As for my own preference, I'm tending to like the phones that give a bit more air at the top end, and let the mid-range sing a bit more.  The HD25-1-II doesn't cover that as well as my HD530-II, at least for my ears.  And my ears definitely ain't the best around.)  My ultimate phone probably has more of the bass extension and bass definition like the HD25-1-II, but with some of the sheen of the HD530-II. (T1 maybe?)

Pulling the black pads seems like a good suggestion.  Will give that a shot as well.

Jun 23, 2010 at 1:58 PM Post #47 of 145
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeverEnough 

In terms of sound isolation, they are hard to beat.  I really bought these for the office and for airplane travel.  And none of my other phones isolate sound as well as these do.

The sound isolation with the Sennheiser HD25-1 II is really surprising considering the on-ear design.  Far better than many over ear designs.

Sep 15, 2010 at 3:42 PM Post #48 of 145
Hi,

I will probably go for this HD 25-1 II headphone.

A couple of years ago, i purchased a cheap sennheiser headphone which was not really great in sound but he was able to hold the music in the headphone, no matter how high the volume of the music, without leaking sound outside.

Now, i know the HD 25-1 II is mediocre good if you talk about sound, but my question is wether he leaks sound: can outsiders hear music if you set the volume pretty high?, I hate it, when a headphone does that. Music with headphones for own use is something personal, not something to bother other people with (my opinion). Now, it's not that i play my music always really loud, but sometimes when there's a good bass, you wanna listen to it with a high volume.

I know this headphone is a good one in isolation, but when you say isolation, most of the time it means that he only isolates the person who is wearing him from the outside world. What i mean is the other way around: no sound for persons who are standing side by side with the headphone wearing person.

Is there anybody who has experience with this issue?

Most of the time the headphone will be used with an ipod.

This would be the last issue of not buying him, so i hope someone can help me.

Thanks 

Sep 18, 2010 at 2:06 AM Post #50 of 145

Quote:
Hi,

I will probably go for this HD 25-1 II headphone.

A couple of years ago, i purchased a cheap sennheiser headphone which was not really great in sound but he was able to hold the music in the headphone, no matter how high the volume of the music, without leaking sound outside.
Now, i know the HD 25-1 II is mediocre good if you talk about sound, but my question is wether he leaks sound: can outsiders hear music if you set the volume pretty high?, I hate it, when a headphone does that. Music with headphones for own use is something personal, not something to bother other people with (my opinion). Now, it's not that i play my music always really loud, but sometimes when there's a good bass, you wanna listen to it with a high volume.
I know this headphone is a good one in isolation, but when you say isolation, most of the time it means that he only isolates the person who is wearing him from the outside world. What i mean is the other way around: no sound for persons who are standing side by side with the headphone wearing person.

Is there anybody who has experience with this issue?
Most of the time the headphone will be used with an ipod.
This would be the last issue of not buying him, so i hope someone can help me.
Thanks 

hello there,

I´ve got HD25 C-II (the same like 1-II but coiled cable to right cup), and with volume @ max, if they are on my head, the sound leakeage out is minimal (almost any). Times before, when I used to travel with my KOSS KSC55, people near me in the train were always telling me "take your volume down or something like that", but now? For few month - no even single word. So It´s working pretty well I guess
atsmile.gif

Feb 17, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #52 of 145
cknelson15, I can comment on your question. I owned both pairs and did an a/b test on them with a varied selection of lossless music from different genres. If you like the M50s and want to find a portable (more portable) pair to replace them, this could be a good contender. The HD25s have a solid and punchy tight bass with good mid and treble. What they lack, every on-ear headphone I have tried is the same, is a large soundstage and an open listening environment. I could not get over that. Although these are very good, I personally needed to keep searching for a portable pair of headphones with an open sound. They do not have the lower extension of the M50s either. Very few portables do. The ES10s do, but they are pricey and still are on-ear. I own them as well. I hope this helps. 

Feb 20, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #55 of 145
Can anyone compare the HD25 with the HD595's  (120 ohm) ?

I recently got some HD600's to replace my 595's and am using my 595's for portable use but need something closed.

I'd be nice to see an upgrade from the 595's. Are the HD25's better ? Will probably use my PA2v2 with them.

Also, anybody notice the Hd25's at the NBA all-star game dunk contest last night ?

Jul 16, 2011 at 11:50 AM Post #56 of 145
i would like a list of cables i could use to upgrade the sennhesier 25 hd 1-ii for the cable just seems to fragile now :frowning2: i love my headphones every bit beside the cable... id like one that the adaptor plug could still screw on too but its not required... main object is a sturdier, better quality cable. :) and instruction on how to install if neccesary

p.s I found these i really liked.. there thicker and look cool as hell... red is my favorite collor lol
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130519347064
only problem is the listing are in the UK... and i am in the US and i cant find this on the US site... help? :frowning2:

Oct 3, 2011 at 10:24 PM Post #58 of 145
I received these today via Amazon sale at $129.95

Been listening for the last 3 hours or so, mostly hard rock, classic rock, and a tad bit of r&b - top40 hits.

So far, the sound signature for me is almost identical to Shure SE215 IEs.

Great for listening to rock, pop (80s), metal, 70s.
For the rap, R&B they don't have the bass like other headphones in the price range.

The soundstage is not really big, but the instrument separation is really good for such a small size.

Comparing to Denon D1100s, they are really in different characters
Denons are a lot more fun to listen to, but not good in rock, metal, pop etc, and they get tiring after some time, but shine in rap, r&b, techno etc
HD 25-1 IIs are not fun, but very direct, much better vocal signature, and does not tire much, and shine in rock, metal, pop etc.

For $130 I think these are great value
But for $199 (their regular going price) I am not so sure.
HD598s were sold for about $180 not long ago, I wonder how they compare to HD25-1s

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #59 of 145
And they are freaking amazing as speakers, despite its insane isolation + basically no leakage. No distortion at all (though I don't know how loud 120db would be if they were on my neck and I was blasting em. I put them at max of 5~6 on high power / low gain on my E11 with a LoD).

Oct 13, 2011 at 11:46 AM Post #60 of 145
So personally, I am almost sold on the HD25s, I just have to verify one thing before I purchase them, how do they compare to sound quality of IEMs like the Westone 2, Kozee Infinity X1 executive and the Triple fi 10s?
I dont have much experience with the IEM field and I listen to mostly vocal based music. The isolation and size dont play a large role, it just comes down to sound quality. I can imagine that headphones would sound better due to their larger amount of air they move, but I could always be wrong.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back