[Review] Rock Jaw Acero, a closed headphone with a rather airy sound
Nov 2, 2014 at 2:57 PM Post #17 of 25
Loose the black. Nothing is prettier than real wood. I specifically DON'T buy black plastic headphones anymore. Also, people in the know realize that wooden headphones will have a certain sound signature and they seek them out, but they have to know it is wood. If it is painted black, they won't. I have had much better luck with lower priced phones in wood sounding better than their metal/plastic counterparts. Maybe psychological but I don't think so. Griffin over ear Woodtones sound real good to me for the price. If you go to stain, make it light enough so the wood grain "pops". Many companies stain so dark the phones look black anyway, so what is the use. Use a satin finish rather than gloss. Looks more upscale. If you go that route and want a 1 person focus group, email me (dabjhs72@msn.com) a few stain pictures you are considering and I will give you my opinion. I used to manage 1 billion dollars in sales and marketing for large consumers products companies. Have been an audio buff since 12 (am now 60). 

Nov 2, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #18 of 25
I won't be getting them off the site and won't spend the money to send them from the U.S. to the U.K. Would/could you P.M. me and let me know how to dampen them properly? Not worried about the warranty as I built my first amp from a kit when I was 12.

Jun 23, 2015 at 12:08 PM Post #20 of 25
wrong thread

Jun 23, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #22 of 25
I can't tell from original review pictures but the pair I just ordered has 5 small holes at the top of the cup presumably porting?  Is this the original design or newer revision after tuning?

Jun 25, 2015 at 7:06 AM Post #23 of 25
 Picked up a pair of these on Amazon for 58 GBP and I must say I don't understand all the bad reviews on them. This is by far the best and most expensive sounding headphone I've ever heard for under 100. "Rather airy??" The soundstage rivals the TH-600, Alpha Dogs, and EL-8 among the best soundstage for closed cans under $700 and even beats a lot of open cans. 

The bass is tight also. I think the 5 holes affects the soundstage. 

Jun 25, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #24 of 25
   Picked up a pair of these on Amazon for 58 GBP and I must say I don't understand all the bad reviews on them. This is by far the best and most expensive sounding headphone I've ever heard for under 100. "Rather airy??" The soundstage rivals the TH-600, Alpha Dogs, and EL-8 among the best soundstage for closed cans under $700 and even beats a lot of open cans. 

Not quite ready to get that superlative yet but agree that I'm very perplexed by reviews noting lack of sub-bass in particular.  I need to reterminate or build new cable for balanced before I can use my main stack but quite impressed simply running Ipod>Fiio Line out>Fiio Mont Blanc. 

Aug 17, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #25 of 25

Just got these from Amazon for £20 and they do sound airy with plenty enough bass and mildly energetic upper mids.  How would you compare the soundstage to the psb m4u1 or nad viso 50?  I would say that my open back akg k612 sounds more refined in soundstage and more balanced tone but I like the fun airy sound of these aceros.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back