REVIEW: Renkforce/Yoga CD-340: FA-006 rebrand now a CRAZY $13! (Rise of the Rebrands pt. 1)
Jan 31, 2012 at 9:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Headphoneus Supremus
DISCLAIMER: This is part one of my "Rise of the Rebrands" series of reviews. The Brainwavz HM5/ Fischer Audio FA-003/ Yoga CD-880 is up next. Part one is about a Conrad.com rebrand of the Yoga CD-340. Yoga is the OEM manufacturer of, among others, Fischer Audio and Brainwavz headphones. This headphone shows similarities to the Fischer Audio FA-006, where the Yoga CD-880 shows similarities to the Fischer Audio FA-003 and Brainwavz HM5. Thanks to user Jack Nicholson for the (first?) head's up on these. 

Yes, the lighting in my office is pretty horrible. Might take some better pics later on. 

The Renkforce CD-340 / Yoga CD-340

Specs according to the packaging:
- load (max): 100 mW
- frequency range: 20 - 20.000 Hz
- impedance: 32 ohm
- sound pressure: 102 dB
- weight: 290 g.
- cable length: 3.1 m.

Build:
Although plasticky, these things seem to be built really well. Great materials, comfortable headband, flexible, sturdy yet light without feeling too cheap. Removeable cable, singly entry. The pads are some sort of pleathered-memory foam. They don't quite seal for me and aren't very comfortable to my, admittedly ginormous, ears. The pads aren't totally circumaural and rest on my earlobes, causing pressure that gets uncomfortable after a while. This can be less of a problem if you have small ears and will probably fix itself after the pads are worn in. I'm going to try and source some velours regardless. 

Sound:
First, these are closed but sound open. They also leak quite some sound and hardly isolate. They sound balanced, subjectively neutral with a VERY good soundstage for such a budget headphone. Slightly recessed in the mids and moderately lean. Not a front-row presentation. Not for bassheads but certainly not bass-light. Pretty impressive extensions for the price I paid. Decent seperation and they sound overall pleasant and, dare I say, polite, monitor-like and very unfatigueing. If I press down slightly on the pads I get higher bass quantity so I guess the pads are too stiff right now to really show me what they're capable of. Like Head-Fi guru LFF mentioned as well in his FA-006 review, they really remind me of the Brainwavz HM5/Fischer Audio FA-003's smaller brother. They also remind me a bit of my ATH-AD700. 

Use:
Gaming for their soundstage and positioning, monitoring for their neutrality, acoustic, classical and popmusic for their overall signature. Bassheads need not apply (basslight). Metalheads/rockers need not apply (recessed mids). EDIT: I am listening to some Explosions in the Sky right now on the CD-340 and, eventhough it contains a lot of guitarwork, it sounds wonderful with a wide soundstage and a really clean and soothing presentation. People that like spacious, neutral and unfatigueing headphones and don't want to spend an arm and a leg will go bananas. 

Pro:
- price
- build
- detachable cable
- soundstage

- neutrality
- unfatigueing treble
- positioning
- comfortable headband

Con:
- can be basslight when the pads don't clamp enough
- uncomfortable pads before break-in
- slightly recessed mids

Renkforce CD-340 = Yoga CD-340 = Fischer Audio FA-006?
Regarding the similarities between the Renkforce, Yoga and Fischer Audio FA-006, I can't say if these are the exact same since I don't have a FA-006 laying around. According to a Twitter conversation between a Head-Fi user and FA they do use the same drivers. I personally can say that I am VERY surprised and VERY happy with these great sounding (and looking) cans. They cost me $35 incl. shipping from the Conrad webstore, which is a steal in my opinion. For me, they beat the Superlux HD668b, which is another great budget contender in that price category. The HD668b looks cheap and sounds screechy and sibilant in comparison.

When you compare these photos (and specs) of the Renkforce CD-340 (first), Yoga CD-340 (second) and FA-006 (third) I think it's more than possible they're the exact same headphone. 

Jan 31, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 23
Very interesting, thanks very much for the detailed review
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks quite probable that those looking to purchase the FA-006 should look here instead and save some money.

The only difference I can see on paper is those specs - Renkforce is quoted as 20Hz-20KHz, whereas the FA-006 is quoted as 10Hz-22KHz.

So either:

1) Drivers are different
2) Someone's lying

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #3 of 23

Quote:
Very interesting, thanks very much for the detailed review
smily_headphones1.gif

Looks quite probable that those looking to purchase the FA-006 should look here instead and save some money.

The only difference I can see on paper is those specs - Renkforce is quoted as 20Hz-20KHz, whereas the FA-006 is quoted as 10Hz-22KHz.

So either:

1) Drivers are different
2) Someone's lying

You ARE right. The specs are slighty different. Can't be sure untill someone pops up with both a FA-006 and a CD-340 though. In the meantime I'll try to get some measurements of both. 

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:40 AM Post #4 of 23
Turned the first impressions into a proper review. If someone knows another seller, or another Yoga-CD340 rebrand, let me know and I'll add it to the review. 

Feb 3, 2012 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 23
Recent development: Fischer Audio modified their version of the Yoga CD-340 to further differentiate it from the other rebrands.

"Our respectable competitors are always ready to make our llife more interesting and exciting. Well, here's how FA-006 will look from now on. APE-02S filter inside and excellent wooden housing.
We'll add some kind of label later - this sample just came from our workshop, and I want to answer those of you who asked if we even try to make some changes in OEM models. Yes we do. And we try like hell."

Feb 25, 2012 at 8:05 AM Post #9 of 23

Quote:
How does the sound quality and more importantly the bass on the Renkforce CD-340 compare to the Superlux HD681?  I saw that you listed the CD-340 as basslight.

I've got a bunch of Superluxes but the HD681 isn't among them. I'd take an experienced gamble that the HD681 is heavier on the bass though. The CD-340's bass can be compared with that of the ATH-AD700 and AKG K701 in quantity.

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #10 of 23
Well, I just got these headphones today and they sure don't sound like $35 headphone. I'm listening to some Miles David at the moment and it sounds great for a headphone in this pricerange. Great for listening to jazz, acoustical and classical music. I've just been using them for an hour and I'm wondering how they will sound in 30 hours.

Jul 15, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:
Well, I just got these headphones today and they sure don't sound like $35 headphone. I'm listening to some Miles David at the moment and it sounds great for a headphone in this pricerange. Great for listening to jazz, acoustical and classical music. I've just been using them for an hour and I'm wondering how they will sound in 30 hours.

I didn't notice much of a change after burn-in, but they still sound great to my ears. Excellent gaming cans as well because of their soundstage and positioning. 

EDIT:

These are now $12,50 from the Conrad webstore.
Every EU Head-Fi'er should get one of these now. No excuses. This is an excellent headphone and, for $12,50, is now THE bang for your buck contender. 

Jul 15, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #12 of 23
Meh, it's sunday so why not do some lazy shopping. Since shipping costs are more than the headphones, I also ordered MC Crypt DJ-50's (FA-004) for a total of 35€ shipped. If they are crap I'll run them over with my car.

Jul 15, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 23
10 Euros from the Conrad store, and an advert for a 5 Euro voucher if I understand it correctly.

So... 5 Euro headphones that apparently aren't absolute garbage? I am really tempted to try these. Time to see what the UK shipping rate is.

EDIT: UK price is £14.99 + £5 p&p after a discount, not quite as amazing as it sounded. Still, might be worth a gamble at that price, just over half what the HD668B costs over here. Any idea how they respond to modding?

Jul 23, 2012 at 11:30 AM Post #14 of 23
I just got these. For my ears Renkforce are by no means 'basslight'. Listening to these I think my HM5 might even have a tad too much bass. Sound is a bit... veiled, but considering I've been using them for 15 mins now I expect it to get better when burn-in starts to kick in. This might be the best 10e I've spent for a good while.

Jul 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:
I just got these. For my ears Renkforce are by no means 'basslight'. Listening to these I think my HM5 might even have a tad too much bass. Sound is a bit... veiled, but considering I've been using them for 15 mins now I expect it to get better when burn-in starts to kick in. This might be the best 10e I've spent for a good while.

My impressions are based on my own fit. Like I wrote, bass quantity increases when I press down on the pads. They don't clamp hard enough on my ears for me to get the bass they're capable of. I can fix this with a rubber band, much like the popular ATH-AD700 mod. I've adjusted the review a bit to make this clearer. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back