REVIEW: Ray Samuels Emmeline Dark Star Fully Balanced Headphone Amp
May 13, 2012 at 4:37 AM Post #227 of 295
Quote:
Hows the amp been in the last week? Switch still ok?

Sorry to say its not. When the switch is "hanging" it`s a pain to get it back on track. I end up just unplugging the power-cord wich is a pain for me. I have email Ray yesterday and waiting an answer, so I guess I end up will sending the unit back to Ray.
Its a shame because the sound quality is really awesome. 

Jun 13, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #230 of 295
So, how is the HD800 sounds on it? Any cable and DAC recommendation on this amp?

Jun 14, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #231 of 295
kind of like asking "I've got a high end carbon fiber bike I'd like to carry on vacation - should I buy a Monster Truck with the extra Chrome option??

the Dark Star uses bridged output high voltage power chip amps (==op amps, and poorly speced for audio compared to LM3886)

its sole objective justification is driving insanely low sensitivity, lower impedance headphones - HiFiMan HE-6, you also could justify using it for the high V swing with AKG pro "monitor" headphones intended to connect direct across a normal audio power amp outputs

the HD-800 and the Dark Star don't belong together - the HD-800 is a High Z, moderate sensitivity headphone at 300 Ohms, can be driven to >120 dB SPL with ~12 Vpk, 40 mA - no need for 60 V, 4A

the objective, manufacturer's datasheet performance graphs for the power op amps used in the Dark Star show evidence for rising distortion at low signal levels - almost certainly crossover distortion -  "lower levels" is the only place you would ever use on the Dark Star with the HD-800 - and crossover distoriton is generally considered the most audibly objectionalble

Jun 14, 2012 at 8:49 PM Post #232 of 295
Funny analogy. The hd800 being a carbon fiber bike. And the darkstar a redneck monster truck.
I think a lot of darkstar hate and specification wagging would be cured with a good ole fashioned listen.

:D I own hd800 and DS. And you know what? They didnt explode when i plugged 'em in or anything. In fact, they made pretty sweet music together.

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:09 PM Post #233 of 295
Quote:
kind of like asking "I've got a high end carbon fiber bike I'd like to carry on vacation - should I buy a Monster Truck with the extra Chrome option??

the Dark Star uses bridged output high voltage power chip amps (==op amps, and poorly speced for audio compared to LM3886)

its sole objective justification is driving insanely low sensitivity, lower impedance headphones - HiFiMan HE-6, you also could justify using it for the high V swing with AKG pro "monitor" headphones intended to connect direct across a normal audio power amp outputs

the HD-800 and the Dark Star don't belong together - the HD-800 is a High Z, moderate sensitivity headphone at 300 Ohms, can be driven to >120 dB SPL with ~12 Vpk, 40 mA - no need for 60 V, 4A

the objective, manufacturer's datasheet performance graphs for the power op amps used in the Dark Star show evidence for rising distortion at low signal levels - almost certainly crossover distortion -  "lower levels" is the only place you would ever use on the Dark Star with the HD-800 - and crossover distoriton is generally considered the most audibly objectionalble

The DarkStar & HD800 work very well together my friend. In fact the Dark Star brings the much needed warmth to those phones that tend to be on the bright side.
If you happened to be at the next up coming RMAF, please do stop by our table to give the DarkStar a listen with any hard to drive headphones or high impedance phones.
Ray Samuels

Jun 14, 2012 at 9:25 PM Post #234 of 295
Ray, I agree with you.  I had the HD800 for over 2-1/2 years and I drove them with many amps including the Raptor, SPL Phonitor, EC Zana Deux SE, Luxman SQ-N100, Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire and the DarkStar.  IMO, the HD800/DarkStar was the best combination out of all of them. 

Jun 14, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #236 of 295
Quote:
Ray, I agree with you.  I had the HD800 for over 2-1/2 years and I drove them with many amps including the Raptor, SPL Phonitor, EC Zana Deux SE, Luxman SQ-N100, Cavalli Audio Liquid Fire and the DarkStar.  IMO, the HD800/DarkStar was the best combination out of all of them. 

Quote:
That's quite an endorsement SteveM324!

Waiting for your Siemens E88CC tube impressions in your LF...should be a good improvement over the Gold Lions.
smile.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #238 of 295
a floor wax and a dessert topping??

I don't understand the reflexive fanboy defensiveness - "against" objective, verifiable commentary based on simple headphone, amplifier system numbers that avid hobbyists should be able to use, appreciate: sensitivity, power, Vswing, Current, Noise, System Gain Structure means there are real distinctions to be made in amp, headphone pairings

and of course we get the inevitable "sownz gud" anecdotes as the ultimate put down/finisher

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #239 of 295
It's not a new thing, many that haven't heard it like to diss the Dark Star. Makes me wonder if there's some kind of agenda at play.
But everybody that has heard it seems to like it a lot; I know I would like to have a listen sometime
popcorn.gif

Jun 15, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #240 of 295
I’d like to hear the dark star. I’m sure it’s a top performer. It’s not what I look for in an amplifier though, I prefer neutral gear with least possible distortion. If I want extra warmth I’ll pick the appropriate transducer. 
smile_phones.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back