REVIEW: Ray Samuels Emmeline Dark Star Fully Balanced Headphone Amp
Apr 21, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #196 of 295

Quote:
???

The Abrahamsen V6 is better and less than half the price brand new

Take it easy with your snarky-ass question marks.

It's good to hear about the Abrahamsen.  Is it shipping now to the US?  Have you had a chance to compare to the ECD-1?  What are the similarities/differences?

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #197 of 295

Quote:

I would look for a used PS Audio PWD MkI and later buy the kit to upgrade it to MkII. The MkI is pretty good but the kit takes it to a higher level.

I have to say that is a steep upgrade. I know there isn't always a relation to price/performance. How would the W4S DAC2 compare to the Audio PWD Mkl, if at all? Any direct reviews of any of the mentioned against one another? Thanks 

Apr 21, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #198 of 295

Quote:

I have to say that is a steep upgrade. I know there isn't always a relation to price/performance. How would the W4S DAC2 compare to the Audio PWD Mkl, if at all? Any direct reviews of any of the mentioned against one another? Thanks 

I won't be able to provide that, but over the next couple of weeks, I will have some brief observations on the PWD mk1 and mk2 and the NAD M51.  The good news is that there are plenty of competent DACs out there at most price points.

Apr 21, 2012 at 4:03 PM Post #199 of 295

Quote:

I won't be able to provide that, but over the next couple of weeks, I will have some brief observations on the PWD mk1 and mk2 and the NAD M51.  The good news is that there are plenty of competent DACs out there at most price points.

Looking forward to those impressions. Well, right now I'm torn between the Dark Star and 2 other tube amps. Price points are pretty high up there
and I feel a nice DAC should be added as to not have a weak link in the chain. It seems to me once you reach TOTL amps it becomes a matter of
preference more than anything. But with DACs I'm a bit lost. I could consider some of the pricier options but obviously would like a good bang for the buck and something that has "substantial" performance. It just seems particularly with the Dark Star the DAC is either an Esoteric way out of budget or the various 3-4 mentioned here. Wondering if you guys have any advice as to DACs going beyond a certain range, where the performance is really all
equally there and it to just becomes a matter of preference? Thanks again.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #200 of 295
Looking forward to those impressions. Well, right now I'm torn between the Dark Star and 2 other tube amps. Price points are pretty high up there
and I feel a nice DAC should be added as to not have a weak link in the chain. It seems to me once you reach TOTL amps it becomes a matter of
preference more than anything. But with DACs I'm a bit lost. I could consider some of the pricier options but obviously would like a good bang for the buck and something that has "substantial" performance. It just seems particularly with the Dark Star the DAC is either an Esoteric way out of budget or the various 3-4 mentioned here. Wondering if you guys have any advice as to DACs going beyond a certain range, where the performance is really all
equally there and it to just becomes a matter of preference? Thanks again.

If you are not in too much of a hurry, the upcoming Schiit DAC would be something to consider.

Apr 21, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #201 of 295

Quote:
If you are not in too much of a hurry, the upcoming Schiit DAC would be something to consider.

That's already one I'm waiting on. The statement tube amp/statement DAC. 

May 6, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #202 of 295
Has anyone who have the Dark Star having a problem that the switch buttom wont turn the unit off ? My new B52 lasted only a few hours in use before the switch wont let me turn it off. I`ll have to use the the power cord to turn it off. I have sendt Ray a mail regardings this matter but I`ll guess he ain`t answering mail in the weekend. Its a damn **** when I have been waiting almost 4 weeks to get it and now I most likely have to send it from Norway and back. 

May 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #203 of 295
My darkstar has had this problem. But it is intermittant.
As of right now, the switch works. But a couple weeks ago i couldnt get the amp to turn off.
It is a nuissance for sure. But the thought of packing up the amp to get this one issue fixed is the greater nuissance

May 6, 2012 at 10:18 AM Post #204 of 295
Quote:
My darkstar has had this problem. But it is intermittant.
As of right now, the switch works. But a couple weeks ago i couldnt get the amp to turn off.
It is a nuissance for sure. But the thought of packing up the amp to get this one issue fixed is the greater nuissance

Thanks for the reply.

What is the word nuissance and intermittant ?

To me the problem must be fixed I`ll paid a nice amount of money for this amp, sorry to say if this is a well known problem it should have been taking care of in the production.
Make no misstake the sound is absolutely amazing so I will try too work this one out with Ray wich i`ll think will be no problem. 3 years of warranty is absolutely handy to :) 

May 6, 2012 at 3:58 PM Post #207 of 295
Quote:
Has anyone who have the Dark Star having a problem that the switch buttom wont turn the unit off ? My new B52 lasted only a few hours in use before the switch wont let me turn it off. I`ll have to use the the power cord to turn it off. I have sendt Ray a mail regardings this matter but I`ll guess he ain`t answering mail in the weekend. Its a damn **** when I have been waiting almost 4 weeks to get it and now I most likely have to send it from Norway and back. 

Its a common problem. if it is failing to turn on/off. push the little switch in gently with the tip of your thumb or index finger, then push up/down (at the same time). It might take a few efforts, but it will reset itself. happens on my B52 from time to time. Its the way the switch is designed. Not ideal I know, but it isn't 'broken'.

Ray suggests you hold the switch between your fingernails almost to push up/down to stop it from happening, but it still does from time to time. If I had a solid state amp (like apache) id just leave it on all the time (like I do with my rega isis cd player), but with a tube amplifier, its definitely not recommended.

May 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #208 of 295
No problem with mine... knock on wood.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 6, 2012 at 6:18 PM Post #210 of 295
i had a B-52 for some time (2-3 years). I encountered the switch issue a handful of times - maybe 5 times. did not think it was a big deal. you just push on the switch slightly when turning it on or off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back