REVIEW: Ray Samuels Emmeline Dark Star Fully Balanced Headphone Amp
Feb 13, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #46 of 295
OK - So it's a thing of beuty - but so would  pile of 4K in $ 100 notes be as well....So this is the" Rolls Royse " version - everybody likes to look at it and gawk, but come on - what's the " every man " version - I know something even remotely compareable is going to be $$$$ but how about something more in the 500 - $n 700 range - not el cheapo by any means, but I could squeze the budget and so could many of you - if yopu are true audiophiloes who make sacrifices - s Ray yes it looks nice - but Idon't think your going to sell too many , I'm sure it's worth every penny, but what about a more realisticaly priced version with somewhat simmilar features - for theevery day man ???? You'll make more money off of that at the end of the month than this exquisite - but pricey piece of art - You know ther ISa recession going on -So what you got that truly shares the real same BLOODLINE though ????

Thanks,

Alex

Feb 13, 2012 at 7:10 PM Post #47 of 295
here is where I see the cost of this unit being high. if Ray has 32 Hrs of labor and he factors in 1600.00 for labor as he building this himself by hand over 4 days I  can see why this can run some coin the cases are not cheap even though the parts inside cant be too expensive then factor in benefits,business overhead and such and oh well there it is aw hopping price. Other wise alternative would be less expensive case and OEM

Feb 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #48 of 295
Dodgercat you need to visit the vintage amp world.  There isa thread here as well.  
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #49 of 295
I think the Dark Star is like a statement amp.  I mean you dont want to see everybody driving Ferraris right?  Its only for those who can afford it.  He's probably doing fine with all the other products he sells.  And in a way I agree with you somehow.  I mean if he can stuff all the inside in a less dramatic enclosure and bring the price closer to 1000-1500.  He could very well make lots of profits. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #50 of 295
It is an unknown at present but it is highly likely that the Schiit Statement amp will challenge the Dark Star on performance and come in at one third of the price.

Feb 14, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #52 of 295
Sure glad that you werent intending to be rude....

My comment is based upon knowing the spec of the statement amp, which has not yet been made public, combined with the performance of their entry level gear.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #53 of 295

Quote:
It is an unknown at present but it is highly likely that the Schiit Statement amp will challenge the Dark Star on performance and come in at one third of the price.

What makes you draw that conclusion?   They are not building high end products from what their offerings have shown this far.

Feb 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #54 of 295

Quote:
What makes you draw that conclusion?   They are not building high end products from what their offerings have shown this far.

I agree with you Frank. I had a Lyr at home for about 3 months (loaner) and I personally was not impressed. It was a fair amp for the price but they are out there a more amplifier out there clearly better. Are thay costing more? Sure they are but you are not ogin to pay the same price for a McIntosh amp than an Outlaw amp, right?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Feb 14, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #55 of 295
To date Schiit has begun at the entry level and has been stepping up the game at each new product release.  The next product will step up to a larger case in order to fit the added components and power supply.  The statement gear will use the same size case and introduce some features or technology that I have not seen in any consumer headphone or dac gear.  I cant say with any degree of certainty how good it will be but based on the information that Jason has given me in confidence....it is certainly worth waiting on IMO.

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #56 of 295
If you cant say with certainty how good it will be then  how can you say it going to challenge Ray's amp. Until they release the product and then it heard and  compared side by side we will not know if it is or is not as good as the dark Star. Comparing products that are not even on the market to a product that people are using and the consensus is good is way premature. 

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #57 of 295
I have said what I wanted to say.  Take it or leave it......

Feb 14, 2012 at 9:12 AM Post #59 of 295
I expected more of you Frank.

My comment was not meant to be rude.  I agree that you will not know with certainty until a side by side comparison can be done between the Schiit Statement and and the dark Star.  But it will be well worth making that comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back