REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B balanced portable headphone amp
Dec 25, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #47 of 226

Quote:
Larry it is like we are hearing two different amps. I listened both balanced and single ended to all types of music from cello to bass heavy well recorded rock and organ music. Both single ended and balanced the 71B drove my LCD-2 with ease. Turning up the volume in SE not only was loud with the LCD-2 but also nothing changed from what it was at a lower volume. The stage did not collapse, nothing compressed and no clipping occurred. On my test tracks I can go down to 16hz with the LCD-2 in balanced with good usable bass at 20hz and with the JH13's 25hz as they rattle when lower than 25hz, which isn't the fault of the 71B. I am running the 71B with the Boomslang and I have used the MB-1 dual dac. 

I hope there is nothing wrong with my unit.  
confused.gif

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:04 PM Post #48 of 226
Larry and Jam, I also hope there is nothing wrong with my unit.  I used my Ipod and SE through ALO SXC LOD to 71B and out balance through TWag to my JH13.  I do hear some graininess,  At first I thought it may be my music but when I switch off with the Pico Slim, the graininess is gone.  Beside I've been charging for three days now and I still see a red power on light.  I need to call Ray next Monday about this problem.

Dec 25, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #49 of 226

Quote:
Larry and Jam, I also hope there is nothing wrong with my unit.  I used my Ipod and SE through ALO SXC LOD to 71B and out balance through TWag to my JH13.  I do hear some graininess,  At first I thought it may be my music but when I switch off with the Pico Slim, the graininess is gone.  Beside I've been charging for three days now and I still see a red power on light.  I need to call Ray next Monday about this problem.

If you mean hiss is gone when the source is unplugged, then the hiss or graininess is coming from the source and not the amp. On the charging, yes, I would contact Ray. 

Dec 25, 2010 at 9:55 PM Post #50 of 226

Hi Jalo...
What light are you looking at while charging?
I hope you are looking at the the LED on the CHARGER, red when charging, turns to GREEN LED when fully charged.
Ray Samuels

Quote:

Dec 26, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #51 of 226
Ray, thanks for solving my problem.  I was looking at the light next to the power switch on the amp and it has been red for the last three days.  But I can see the green light on the charger.  so I am fine with the light issue.  Now I hope the unit will further improve with burn in.  It is now around 40 hours.  Thanks again.

Dec 26, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #52 of 226
I have been trying various balanced phones such as HE-6, T-1, Jh-13PRO and currently the HD600. I must say everything has been enjoyable with the SR-71B. I am still using it single ended with my Meredian as a source either direct as a CD player or using its internal DAC with music delivered through a squeezebox duet and my laptop.

I did spend a little time comparing it directly with the Protector using an iTouch with Ray's LOD. The headphones were my JH-13. At this point, I slightly preferred the Protector. I know others have preferred the SR-71B. Time will tell as the SR-71B breaks in. 

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #53 of 226

Quote:
 I did spend a little time comparing it directly with the Protector using an iTouch with Ray's LOD. The headphones were my JH-13. At this point, I slightly preferred the Protector. I know others have preferred the SR-71B. Time will tell as the SR-71B breaks in.  

I have the same reaction with my Protector-71B and JH13 comparison.  Of course, we all know that the Protector is burn in but not the 71B. So I am wondering if the 71b may need more burn in with iem and sensitive phones but not so with fullsize cans like my HD800 and LCD2.  They sounded perfect out of the box.

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:27 PM Post #54 of 226

Quote:
Quote:

If you mean hiss is gone when the source is unplugged, then the hiss or graininess is coming from the source and not the amp. On the charging, yes, I would contact Ray. 

Jam, it is not the hissing, it's graininess that I hear,  I compared it to my Protector and Pico Slim and they both sound smoother.  I attribute it to burn in for now.

Dec 26, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #55 of 226
I have another anomaly that I noticed and I want some feedback from you 71B owners.  I am listening to the 71B with Balance out (TWag cable) to my JH13.  Input is SE from Ipod classic.  On some songs with lower recording level, I find I can turn the volume to the max position on Low gain (I usually do listen on the loud side).  This is very unusual for several reasons.  First balance out should give me higher volume and second the 71B is suppose to have more power than the Protector, and third JH13 is not that hard to drive.  I've just switched between the Protector and 71B on the same songs from the Ipod Classic and on the Protector I can only go to 2:00 whereas on the 71B Max.  Does anyone of you notice the same phonomenon or trend?  You may not listen as loud as mine but do you notice that on same gain level (i.e. Low) that you turn the 71b higher than the Protector?

Dec 27, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #56 of 226
It would seem to me that the two amps have a different gain for each gain level. They don't use the same topology or op amps so that wouldn't surprise me. Power doesn't have anything to do with gain or volume and will only affect volume when you go to a point of clipping where one amp with less power can go no louder but an amp with maybe double the power will go louder at the same point without clipping.  

I am not clear. Are you saying the Protector is louder when operated totally single ended when compared to the 71B in balanced or are both amps outputting a balanced signal with a single ended input? 

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:36 AM Post #58 of 226

Quote:
Ray, thanks for solving my problem.  I was looking at the light next to the power switch on the amp and it has been red for the last three days.  

Hopefully that red light won't change to green, LOL.  I'm glad to hear your SR71B works as designed and not malfunctioning.

Dec 27, 2010 at 10:43 AM Post #59 of 226
I received my SR-71B today.  Presently using it single-ended.  My initial impression is that it is on par with the Concerto in driving the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back