REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B balanced portable headphone amp
Jan 8, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #76 of 226

Hi Nabil....
The SR-71B should never distort if non of the op-amps has gone bad. I am thinking that one of the four gain stages must have stoped functioning.
That will cause distortion in one ear but not in both.
Please pay attention to which ear, channel, you are hearing the distortion. This way we can determin if you have this problem for sure.
I hope you are using line out of your source & not any headphone jach as an input to your SR-71B. Also I would expect that you are not using compressed MP3 files either.
So to make you feel good, if it happens that there is some problem with your amp, I will ship you a new one & pay for shipping yours back to me.
There are more that 150 SR-71B out there that function very fine with no problem, but always there is that first one that might act up.
Ray Samuels

Quote:
[size=10pt]I tried the SR-71B both SE and balanced (PC to iBasso Boomslang to SR-71B)  with the HE-6 and I find that with this combination there is very noticeable distortion in piano parts (e.g. Keith Jarrett Koln Concert).[/size]

[size=10pt]Actually although with the SR-71B balanced I can drive the HE-6 to higher volumes than with the ALO RX II can, the ALO does not introduce the piano distortion I hear with the SR-71B.[/size]

[size=10pt]Is there something wrong with my SR-71B given HPA's experience contradicts mine? Note: I understand that the HE-6 is one of the hardest headphones to drive and a portable amp would not have been a choice but given HPA's impressions I was hopeful the SR-71B would do a decent job. Not for me, not for any music heavy on piano. [/size]

[size=10pt]Update: I was using the SR-71B battery powered and although the battery was charged enough to cleanly drive my other headphones (ED 8) and IEMs it apparently was not charged enough to drive the HE-6. When I plugged the AC adapter the distortion is almost all gone[/size]

[size=10pt]2nd Update: I was wrong. Even fully charged/plugged into AC, my SR-71B distorts with the HE-6 at anything above a very low volume (the distortion was extreme before I recharged and then improved but is still very much there). In contrast the ALO RX II distorts only when volume is almost maxed out. Not sure if this means my SR-71B has a problem or not.[/size]

Quote:

INITIAL IMPRESSIONS SR-71B (updated with more details from an edited copy of this post that I put in another thread last night):

My SR-71b arrived on the 22nd, and I have only had time to try the HE-6 and JH13Pro balanced with the SR-71b so far.  The SR-71b sounded great right out of the box, but I'm still giving it some burn-in with music into my balanced JH13Pro.  After some listening with the HE-6 balanced I can say that the SR-71b is "significantly" more powerful than my balanced Protector (using TWag "Protector to 4-pin XLR" adapter). 

While the Protector drives my HD600 and HE-5 LE with authority, it can only maintain "conversation level" volumes with the HE-6; but the SR-71b drives the HE-6 better than I ever hoped.  I didn't believe it until I heard it for myself.  And it's not just in having enough power, but the sound quality is also superb.  I would have to say the treble quality is smoother than the Protector in balanced mode so far.  Bass, mids and highs are all excellent and balanced in respect to each other.  So, in both power and sound quality I'd say the SR-71b has an edge over the Protector, and that's with less than 24 hours on the SR-71b and over 1,000 hours on the Protector.  One thing to note is that the Protector in balanced mode sounds slightly more aggressive than the SR-71b or P-51, although less so via single ended mode.  While the Protector has been perfect for my balanced JH13Pro, the SR-71b is every bit as good or better with them and yet not too forward with the HE-6.  (I have not swapped over my Westone IEM to the balanced TWag cable yet, as it's too early in my ownership to try anything else.)  I will compare the balanced output vs SE output later.

There are several other amps that I reported on in the HE-6 threads, including the HDP, SAC KH1000, EF5, WA6 and ZDT.  I haven't compared the SR-71b yet to them, but I can say that I do believe it's a better match than HDP, SAC or EF5 in terms of sonic synergy and balance because I'm enjoying the combo more.  I previously felt that the SAC and HDP amps could be slightly bright with HE-6 as the volumes got higher, and the EF5 had a good balance but lacked the detail and soundstage of the other amps.  I'm certain that I would pick the SR-71b over any three of those amps for my HE-6.  I'm surprised that I can turn it to max volume without signs or strain or distortion like with the above desktop headphone amps.  My ZDT also allows me to max out the volume with the HE-6 without any distortion, and I would not be surprised of the SR-71b can match volume levels with the ZDT, based on what I am hearing up here in my bedroom rig.  The SR-71b is clearly more powerful driving the HE-6 than my WA6, although I didn't have many complaints about the sound quality at normal volumes with the WA6.  The WA6 is phenomenal with the JH13Pro, and it's too early to say how the SR-71b compares, although I am not hearing anything that I would want to change or fix with the SR-71b.  

As stated above, I have not had time to try any other full size phones or IEM with it yet.  I am planning to order a balanced LCD-2 Silver Dragon cable in the next week or two, so I'll be able to listen like I did at RMAF with the demo SR-71b and LCD-2 - I loved that combo there.  My HE-5, HE-5 LE, HD600, HD800 are already balanced with a 4-pin XLR like the HE-6, and I'll try them later on the SR-71b.  Plus with my Protector adapter and my APS V3 1/8" adapter I can use all these phones on any of my amps.  So that will make comparing amps easier later.  

I wanted another small balanced SS amp, and I have gotten my wish.  So far, just with these two phones I have no regrets about spending $614 on the SR-71b, and all my desires to repair my balanced Single Power Square Wave XL's broken PSU have evaporated (other than to fix it in order to sell it).  

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #77 of 226
I am using the high gain. The volume is at about 2 o'clock but even at mid level I can hear the distortion. To not hear the distortion the volume would be as low as barley hearing te piano anymore.  I was not playing trying to get any ear hurting volumes (it does not even get uo to that level of volume but tha's fine).

I do not have an SPL meter.

Quote:
I never noticed any distortion, even when using the HE-6.  I was actually quite surprised (and impressed) by this.  But I will try to play some piano-oriented music and see if I hear any.  Can you confirm you are using high-gain, and also what setting you have the volume control at?  And better yet, if you have an SPL meter, what peaks you are trying to get on the piano?

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #78 of 226

I am sitting listening to the "Great Pianists of the 20th Century" using the single ended out of my Meridian 808.2i with the HE-6 balanced with the Warren Audio X10 cable and the detail and resolution are excellent. The SR-71B is set at roughly 12:30, which is probably in the 70 db level.

Jan 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #79 of 226
I don't hear any distortion in the piano in Ben Folds Five's "Smoke" from "Whatever and Ever Amen".

Jan 8, 2011 at 2:00 PM Post #80 of 226
[size=10pt]Hi Ray,[/size]
[size=10pt]I am using the line out from IPod (ALO cable). I have tried the amp being on high gain as well as medium and the distortion is there. I am listening to AIFF files.[/size]

[size=10pt]Both left and right channels are distorting but if I had to I would say it is more prominent on the right channel.[/size]

[size=10pt]You may be right in that something went wrong since I received it because up until a couple of days ago I had not noticed this and was quite happy with this amp just like all the other reviewers in this thread.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks for the offer to remedy this. I will call you on Monday.[/size]

[size=10pt]Note: Up until now I was really happy with this amp and I hope this is just a part gone bad, which it should be based on no one else experiencing this.[/size]

[size=10pt]Thanks[/size]
[size=10pt]Nabil [/size]
Quote:
Hi Nabil....
The SR-71B should never distort if non of the op-amps has gone bad. I am thinking that one of the four gain stages must have stoped functioning.
That will cause distortion in one ear but not in both.
Please pay attention to which ear, channel, you are hearing the distortion. This way we can determin if you have this problem for sure.
I hope you are using line out of your source & not any headphone jach as an input to your SR-71B. Also I would expect that you are not using compressed MP3 files either.
So to make you feel good, if it happens that there is some problem with your amp, I will ship you a new one & pay for shipping yours back to me.
There are more that 150 SR-71B out there that function very fine with no problem, but always there is that first one that might act up.
Ray Samuels

Jan 8, 2011 at 4:44 PM Post #82 of 226
I hear no distortion with the LCD-2 at any volume no matter what type of music. I can only imagine that as mentioned, something has gone wrong. It looks like a fix will be fast and painless. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 9:28 AM Post #83 of 226
Hi jamato8,

Would you please try the song "K.T.C." from the album of ECM, "Trio" by Marcin Wasilewski, if you can.
It is very beautiful, and very well recorded album which is comparatively less compressed, so I always test every new gear by hearing it.
In my case, distortion is obvious at the Intro part, though it is very curious that the distortion is more noticeable when quiet "chord work" parts are played than when strong "monophonic phrase" parts are played. It seems like that the distortion might be caused not by the sound pressure but the complex overtones. 

Of course I always use line out of all players (ex. with AOL LOD, or RSA LOD). And all my files are ALAC or FLAC (with HM801). I use my SR71B in high gain mode, and set the volume knob at 2 o'clock. And I can hear the distortion from each L/R channel.

If you or anyone can try the music that I mentioned above, and hear it with no distortion using SE input mode & balanced LCD-2, I will ask Mr.Samuels if it is possible to remedy mine.

I have a lot of RSA amps, and I love all of them very much. I have never experienced any problems happening on my SR71B this time. So I hope strongly that this case is only on my unit. 

Quote:
I hear no distortion with the LCD-2 at any volume no matter what type of music. I can only imagine that as mentioned, something has gone wrong. It looks like a fix will be fast and painless. 

Jan 9, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #84 of 226

Quote:
Hi jamato8,

Would you please try the song "K.T.C." from the album of ECM, "Trio" by Marcin Wasilewski, if you can.
It is very beautiful, and very well recorded album which is comparatively less compressed, so I always test every new gear by hearing it.
In my case, distortion is obvious at the Intro part, though it is very curious that the distortion is more noticeable when quiet "chord work" parts are played than when strong "monophonic phrase" parts are played. It seems like that the distortion might be caused not by the sound pressure but the complex overtones. 

Of course I always use line out of all players (ex. with AOL LOD, or RSA LOD). And all my files are ALAC or FLAC (with HM801). I use my SR71B in high gain mode, and set the volume knob at 2 o'clock. And I can hear the distortion from each L/R channel.

If you or anyone can try the music that I mentioned above, and hear it with no distortion using SE input mode & balanced LCD-2, I will ask Mr.Samuels if it is possible to remedy mine.

I have a lot of RSA amps, and I love all of them very much. I have never experienced any problems happening on my SR71B this time. So I hope strongly that this case is only on my unit. 

Quote:

I wish I had it and music on the island where I live, besides local music, is unavailable unless ordered by mail. Luckily I have a friend who sent me 2300 albums on a HD in lossless, besides what I brought with me but I don't have that piece of music. 

I will look around and see what I do have. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:55 AM Post #86 of 226
I listened to Bob Dylan's, "Oh Mercy". There is music on there that could bottom out some of my good amps for my speaker system and on louder volumes, my amps for headphones. I listened all the way through today with the LCD-2, on an enjoyable, though louder volume and it sailed through. No clipping, no collapse and no distortion. I can only think there might be some sort of a problem with an op amp. Disease of Conceit is the song that could kill a few amps I have for speakers and is hard for all but the more powerful of my portables. Again the 71B had no problem with this on loud volumes. 

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #87 of 226

Quote:
Hi jamato8,

Quote:

KTC is some pretty dynamic music and like you say, little to no compression. I am playing it too loud as from the quiet passages to the loud, my ears hurt so I have to turn it down. I am not getting any distortion on the intro. Where are you getting distortion on the chord work, at what time? 

Jan 10, 2011 at 10:53 PM Post #88 of 226

Hi Jamato8,

Thank you for testing.

No distortion!!
OMG, something must be wrong in my SR71B, as you mentioned.

The distortion begins to appear at 0:07.

Are you using SE input mode? If you are, I must ask Mr.Samuels to remedy mine.

Quote:
Quote:
Hi jamato8,

Quote:

KTC is some pretty dynamic music and like you say, little to no compression. I am playing it too loud as from the quiet passages to the loud, my ears hurt so I have to turn it down. I am not getting any distortion on the intro. Where are you getting distortion on the chord work, at what time? 

Jan 11, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #89 of 226
I am using the balanced input. I will also try the SE but this shouldn't change anything. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:32 AM Post #90 of 226
Having jumped in and bought a SR-71B to cover all my headphone amping needs, was a real treat to read such a quality review.  Thank you.

I envision using it balanced in the house and single ended when travelling.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back