REVIEW: Ray Samuels Audio SR-71B balanced portable headphone amp
Dec 24, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #153 of 226
Quote:
I meant mW on the last post and not m amps.  For example the VAMP puts out 150 mW at 32 ohms,   Same question on the Portaphile 627. No specs on there sheets.

Don't know, but based on clean volumes levels (when balanced and driving HE-500 or HE-6) exceeding that of the 1500mw DACmini I'd guess it's more than1500mw.  It's pretty close to the output levels of the 2W (32ohm) EF5 amp, but only in balanced mode.

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:03 AM Post #155 of 226
Quote:
Any updates on the sound of this amp, perhaps with current revisions, on HD800, HD650, and LCD2 and 3? 

I haven't, but I just placed an order for one today. I'm hoping to have my thoughts on it using single input/output from an HP-P1 soon. Unfortunately, I only have non-ltd SE535s that I'm using to test for now, but they sound good enough to me. When my balanced cables are ready I'll give my thoughts on that setup too.

Has anyone used this setup with HP-P1 versus CLAS -DB, or just changed from single input to balanced in general on a balanced out and noticed a large improvement in SQ?

Aug 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #156 of 226
Between the hpp1 vs clasdb..i think they both very similar in sound (as a dac) although i feel like hpp1 is slightly warmer while the clasdb is slightly brighter and more detailed. But the difference is barely noticeable unless with a very serious listening in a very quite room. The hpp1 has a bigger power lineout...meaning the gain of your amp will be increased when connected to hpp1 line out. The clasdb works the other way around. Somewhat the gain of the amps will be reduced by just a bit when connected to clasdb. The good about clasdb..we can use balance connection between clas and amp. This will not gives u a large improvements..but rather just a slight improvement in soundstage, better ambience, fuller sound and more open sounding. And for the best...you might want to use balance connection all way through.

Aug 21, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #157 of 226
Quote:
Between the hpp1 vs clasdb..i think they both very similar in sound (as a dac) although i feel like hpp1 is slightly warmer while the clasdb is slightly brighter and more detailed. But the difference is barely noticeable unless with a very serious listening in a very quite room. The hpp1 has a bigger power lineout...meaning the gain of your amp will be increased when connected to hpp1 line out. The clasdb works the other way around. Somewhat the gain of the amps will be reduced by just a bit when connected to clasdb. The good about clasdb..we can use balance connection between clas and amp. This will not gives u a large improvements..but rather just a slight improvement in soundstage, better ambience, fuller sound and more open sounding. And for the best...you might want to use balance connection all way through.

Thanks for the information. That helps me to decide on whether the clas would be worth it, and gives me a better idea about what to expect when I get the amp to test it. At $700 I wish I had a way to demo a balanced output dac like the clasdb to compare my hp-p1 with, but I don't right now. My IEMs aren't hard to drive at all, and the 71-B has power to spare from what I've read, so it sounds like I will need to be very careful about volume adjustments with it.
basshead.gif

I've been told that even with a single input to dual conversion that my setup should have a very noticeably improved SQ, but we'll see about that when everything arrives and I get to try it.

Aug 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #158 of 226
I dont have the 71b..but i tried some of Ray 's amps and own the intruder. AFAIK...tha rsa amps though they do have power to run the hard to drive cans...but also can handle quite well with iems. There will be no hiss or volume jump to an excessive gain when you turn the pot. The gain increment is very smooth. So i think should be fine to play with iems.

Aug 22, 2013 at 6:25 AM Post #160 of 226
Quote:
Thanks for the information. That helps me to decide on whether the clas would be worth it, and gives me a better idea about what to expect when I get the amp to test it. At $700 I wish I had a way to demo a balanced output dac like the clasdb to compare my hp-p1 with, but I don't right now. My IEMs aren't hard to drive at all, and the 71-B has power to spare from what I've read, so it sounds like I will need to be very careful about volume adjustments with it.
basshead.gif

I've been told that even with a single input to dual conversion that my setup should have a very noticeably improved SQ, but we'll see about that when everything arrives and I get to try it.

Try attending a head-fi meet. The triple stack is a ubiquitous sight. Failing that check out the forum for a local owner or the classified. The Clas -dB comes up for sale from time to time and sellers seem willing to take a hefty hit (
confused.gif
)

Signed,
Clas -dB + Pico Power owner

Aug 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #161 of 226
Thanks all for the good information. The gain will be low on with this amp to start for sure, but I always try the other levels out just to see how strong they are. I get the feeling testing high gain volumes won't be done while the iems are in my ears. 

LFC, in my area I think the closest meets are about 4-5 hours away. I know of at least one head-fier that is in my city, but he's got the same gear I do. Based on the wealth of usually great* information I've been able to get from so many sources I'm pretty sure that I've got a decent plan for the gear to get. It's just a waiting game now. When the iphone 5s comes out I plan to switch to it, so it's a wait and see about what portable gear is compatible with it.

All to say that I might have hp-p1 listed here at a big discount before too long.

(*occasionally questionable)

Aug 22, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #163 of 226
Quote:
could anyone direct me to where you guys are buying your balanced headphone plugs for DIY? searched but cannot find. any help is apreciated

You might want to check double helix cable's website. They have some balanced connectors for DIY, and they may carry some others. Peter is super quick to respond to emails in my experience.

Aug 27, 2013 at 12:33 PM Post #164 of 226
The 71b showed up yesterday. I barely had any time to test it out after charging was done, but wow, just WOW!

I had no idea my my SE535s could push bass like that. In general everything sounds darker as I've read, but the treble and mids are strong too. It's great for pretty much everything I got to try, phenomenal really, but I can see some issues. Listening to some tracks where the timing isn't perfect intentionally or a sound is more sustained to catch a beat in some of the more detailed tracks the amp seems to lose the sound. It's like it drops a layer occasionally, but I'm not sure if this is because I'm going single ended all the way and this should really be listened to balanced or not.

I'll have a better idea when my balanced cables are ready to go in a few weeks (give or take). Very pleased though.

Aug 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #165 of 226
Connectors for RSA: I posted a long message or two about where I got them and wiring diagrams per Ray Samuels.  Let's see if I can find them.  Try searching under my name.  

Here is one: http://www.head-fi.org/t/502696/rsa-sr71b-quad-mono-balanced-img-1-17-review-pg-32-34-68-updated-4-2013-for-improved-sound/1020#post_9598459

Here, I constructed a message with everything one needs to know to wire the RSA Kobiconn balanced connector.  (Note that Cardas can do this for you.) http://www.head-fi.org/t/671311/designing-balance-cable-for-ray-samuels-rsa-sr-71b-latest-version#post_9748119

Quote:

About the on-cable plug for Ray Samuels Audio (RSA) portable balanced amplifiers:
  1. The novel aspect of RSA amps is the innovative use of a particular connector to provide a balanced interface of small size.
  2. The connector is normally used for cameras but has been shown to work very well for this purpose. 
  3. Ray sells quite a few of these amps.  The amp I am using is relatively new and top-of-the-line, very powerful.

Plug Dimensions: 

Attached is a PDF with full dimensions, excerpted below.
Judging from this drawing, the opening for the cable is 4mm.  This might limit its use to Clear Light, unless creative termination and stress-relief might find a workaround. 

Pin Definitions: 

From Ray Samuels (rsaudio@raysamuelsaudio.com)

Left Channel:
  PIN # 1 is POSITIVE
  PIN # 3 is NEGATIVE
Right Channel:
  PIN # 2 is POSITIVE
  PIN # 4 is NEGATIVE

Pin definition for the socket in the amp. Reverse this to view from outside.

Pin definition for the plug.  Viewed "through" the back of the plug.

Physical Orientation: 

The pin definitions is consistent with the physical orientation below, which avoids interference with the volume knob. See picture:

Supplier: 

Mouser #: 163-191J-E
Mfr. #:    163-191J-E
Desc.:    Phone Connectors CAMERA PLUG 2PC cable size 2-4

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kobiconn/163-191J-E/?qs=C8m%252bmemFVBP34xgvdBuhwA==

http://www.mouser.com/catalogviewer.aspx?page=1389&highlight=163-191J-E&catalogculture=en-US&catalog=646

Users who are viewing this thread

Back