Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Nov 9, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #3,586 of 7,140
Yeah I wasn't expecting to find much sonic difference in firmware changes on the QP1R - that was more of another's idea. And also I misspoke, inserting the Mimby even though I know it doesn't do DSD.

On a slightly unrelated topic, interestingly after years of using AIMP as my desktop media player, I've discovered Foobar to sound better... cleaner and more lifelike / dynamic which seems strange considering how these are both using the same bit-perfect WASAPI Exclusive output codec. Leads me to speculate the difference is SQ between these media player programs could have more to do with the file (FLAC, DSD, etc.) decoders of each player. I'm planning to switch all my desktop (PC) listening over to Foobar due to this perceived 10~% boost in fidelity, but with much hesitance because of its' bulky / inconvenient interface... anyone have any suggestions on another media player known for perfect sound quality with a better interface? Or maybe it's as simple as updating or copying the file type decoders from one program to another.

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #3,587 of 7,140
Quick question. If I use a QP1 in USB DAC mode, will it also output a digital signal over Toslink in that situation? I guess you would call it a USB to SPDIF (optical) converter in that case. I know it will put out a signal from the headphone out and line-out, but what about a digital output?

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #3,588 of 7,140
Quick question. If I use a QP1 in USB DAC mode, will it also output a digital signal over Toslink in that situation? I guess you would call it a USB to SPDIF (optical) converter in that case. I know it will put out a signal from the headphone out and line-out, but what about a digital output?

If no one answers your question by tomorrow, I'll test it out (with the QP1R) and let you know.

Just wondering, do you own a QP1?

Nov 10, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #3,589 of 7,140
No, I am considering buying a QP1R though. The optical out feature would be a benefit to me in the situation I would use the device in. Not critical though. I didn't even think they released the regular QP1. My post above was just a typo I guess. 

Nov 10, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #3,591 of 7,140
The QP1R has hiss with sensitive IEMs. The DP-X1 on the other hand is black. Nothing. No hiss. I have an Andromeda too. I also hear the hiss with Oriolus in quiet environments although Oriolus is nowhere as sensitive as Andromeda.

But in terms of sound quality, the DP-X1 is not better than QP1R besides the black background.

If you're bothered by hiss, try the DP-X1 or it's successor DP-X1A which supposedly has improved circuitry.

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #3,593 of 7,140

Quote:
If no one answers your question by tomorrow, I'll test it out (with the QP1R) and let you know.

Just wondering, do you own a QP1?

Quote:
  No, I am considering buying a QP1R though. The optical out feature would be a benefit to me in the situation I would use the device in. Not critical though. I didn't even think they released the regular QP1. My post above was just a typo I guess. 

I was able to get optical through the USB DAC of the QP1R!  Firstly, with regards to at least making this setup work with a PC, make sure the applicable drivers (for using the QP1R as a USB DAC [drivers are on the Questyle Audio website]) are installed.  Setup is:

Windows 10 Pro Custom PC (playing TIDAL) connected to QP1R as a USB DAC via micro USB cable, optical cable connected from QP1R to an m9XX via optical cable (also using the QP1R's included optical connector adapter; and making sure the m9XX is set to "to" [TOSLINK/Optical]) to a Base Audio Reflex G7 Headphone, or simplified:

PC > QP1R > m9XX > Reflex G7

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:18 AM Post #3,594 of 7,140

Finally I got qp1r
Really perfect sound quality,And for the guidance of all
thank you :sunglasses:

Glad you are loving the Andromeda with the QP1R.  Still, one of my absolute favorite pairings that I own.

Nov 11, 2016 at 3:53 AM Post #3,595 of 7,140

I was able to get optical through the USB DAC of the QP1R!  Firstly, with regards to at least making this setup work with a PC, make sure the applicable drivers (for using the QP1R as a USB DAC [drivers are on the Questyle Audio website]) are installed.  Setup is:

Windows 10 Pro Custom PC (playing TIDAL) connected to QP1R as a USB DAC via micro USB cable, optical cable connected from QP1R to an m9XX via optical cable (also using the QP1R's included optical connector adapter; and making sure the m9XX is set to "to" [TOSLINK/Optical]) to a Base Audio Reflex G7 Headphone, or simplified:

PC > QP1R > m9XX > Reflex G7

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Drat! I just made a similar post in the other thread just an hour ago... But your post had a lot more information!

Also, how you liking the Base Audio headphones? I had them in front of me the whole weekend at RMAF but never got a good chance to give them a good listen.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 11, 2016 at 4:03 AM Post #3,596 of 7,140
  Drat! I just made a similar post in the other thread just an hour ago... But your post had a lot more information!

Also, how you liking the Base Audio headphones? I had them in front of me the whole weekend at RMAF but never got a good chance to give them a good listen.

No worries at all, my friend!  Hope all is well with you! 

The Base Audio Reflex G7 is a really nice headphone, especially for the price.  It reminds me somewhat of the Grado SR325e, which is one of my favorite Grados I've listened to out of their series.  I will have a review published in the near future of the G7, but no matter what, the people behind the headphone are really nice and are good guys.  The headphone needs some love, since it does sound pleasantly balanced!  It is also uniquely constructed so it is definitely a headphone that stands out positively in a sea of same-type of headphone designs.  I also got a chance at RMAF to listen to their headphone with some pleather pads (looks like a smaller version of the Focal Utopia stock pads) specifically made for the Reflex G7 as it's good to have options!

Hope to see you at an upcoming event! 
beerchug.gif

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #3,597 of 7,140
Holy cow. So I currently live in a dormitory and so most of my gear is limited to portable stuff with the exception of the entry STAX setup. I got a review unit of the QP1R recently and it kicks butt compared to my other gear (LH Labs Geek Out V2+, DragonFly Black). To me, it sounds like it takes more of a Schiit Multibit (I use a BiMB with the STAX setup) flavor of sound than a typical Delta-Sigma DAC.

I found the Geek Out V2+ to sound really good, and especially so for an ESS DAC, but next to the QP1R as a USB DAC, the stereotypical ESS "Sabre glare" is quite evident. I've noticed the difference with the ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 and the Etymōtic ER4SR alike. I have an OPPO PM-3 that I have yet to try out too.

I kind of don't regret backing the Geek Wave since I think it'll sound great at the price I paid, but at the same time, this QP1R seems to be a really good alternative...

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #3,598 of 7,140
Welcome to the thread, @miceblue!

I usually don't give cable recommendations a whole lot anymore (for various reasons), but if you can, try your PM-3 with some Wireworld cables.  I was able to try out the entire gamut of Wireworld cables with the PM-3 (and a Pono unfortunately 
tongue_smile.gif
), and the cables (from copper to SPC to flagship silver) really woke up the headphone compared to the stock cable.

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #3,599 of 7,140
Welcome to the thread, @miceblue
!

I usually don't give cable recommendations a whole lot anymore (for various reasons), but if you can, try your PM-3 with some Wireworld cables.  I was able to try out the entire gamut of Wireworld cables with the PM-3 (and a Pono unfortunately :tongue_smile: ), and the cables (from copper to SPC to flagship silver) really woke up the headphone compared to the stock cable.

This sounds interesting, as my combo at this time is QP1R with pm3. Could you tell a little bit more about waking up the headphone? How is the sound compared to stock cable? Where can one get this cables? From Europe?

Nov 11, 2016 at 4:40 AM Post #3,600 of 7,140
This sounds interesting, as my combo at this time is QP1R with pm3. Could you tell a little bit more about waking up the headphone? How is the sound compared to stock cable? Where can one get this cables? From Europe?

I personally experienced more clarity, increased quality of every acoustic spectrum, but the enhancement(s) are slightly different in tonality as you listen to the different Wireworld elemental cables.  Best would be to contact Wireworld and see if you can listen to their cable(s) and make the decision if you like the cable(s) yourself.  Even their cheapest copper was an upgrade sonically to me compared to the stock cable.  Here is more information regarding Wireworld: http://www.wireworldcable.com/.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back