Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Nov 12, 2016 at 7:19 PM Post #3,616 of 7,140
popcorn.gif

Nov 12, 2016 at 7:29 PM Post #3,617 of 7,140
Nov 12, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #3,618 of 7,140
I've done blind tests with various cables in the past and couldn't hear a difference. I don't expect to suddenly start hearing those differences now, so there isn't much point in me continuing to test them. I mentioned that many others felt the same, as this is a contentious issue that has two strongly opposed camps and I think it's only right that a prospective buyer who has noted he has concerns about spending large amounts on a cable upgrade realises this.

I think my suggestion for him to try before he buys is completely reasonable
smily_headphones1.gif

"Contentious issue", "two strongly opposed camps" are regardless of what I am attempting to convey to you.  Your suggestion for him to try is not the issue, what is, is talking about something that you haven't listened to with regards to stating others experience negligible if any differences.  Again, if you haven't listened to what is being discussed, please don't make assertions (especially about other's opinions) about something that you have not listened to.

Nov 12, 2016 at 7:42 PM Post #3,619 of 7,140
I've voltage-matched cables for direct A/B testing and compared to a stock cable, a well-built cable can make a difference. Most comparisons aren't volume-matched, which is a big part of the reason why I'm neutral on the topic since different cables will have different impedances, even if you have two of the same models. When a replacement cable costs the same, or more than the headphone itself though, I think there are issues there. XD

On the topic of the QP1R, one issue I have with it is the responsiveness of the volume knob compared to what the software recognizes. For example, if I adjust the volume in my pocket, I can feel it click X times, but the volume doesn't actually change X notches.

Nov 12, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #3,620 of 7,140

"Contentious issue", "two strongly opposed camps" are regardless of what I am attempting to convey to you.  Your suggestion for him to try is not the issue, what is, is talking about something that you haven't listened to with regards to stating others experience negligible if any differences.  Again, if you haven't listened to what is being discussed, please don't make assertions (especially about other's opinions) about something that you have not listened to.

What is with you? you in a bad mood to harp on everyone? Crafty said he tried cables and "FOR HIM"....which is his opinion....he can't hear a difference between the cables he's tried. He also took a point saying there are two camps, and therefore it is up to the individual if they hear differences or not? what's wrong with saying YMMV? He's allowed to share his experiences here.

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #3,621 of 7,140
  What is with you? you in a bad mood to harp on everyone? Crafty said he tried cables and "FOR HIM"....which is his opinion....he can't hear a difference between the cables he's tried. He also took a point saying there are two camps, and therefore it is up to the individual if they hear differences or not? what's wrong with saying YMMV? He's allowed to share his experiences here.

As I said in the other thread to you, since you are calling me names (in the other thread) please refrain from speaking to me.  

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #3,622 of 7,140
I've voltage-matched cables for direct A/B testing and compared to a stock cable, a well-built cable can make a difference. Most comparisons aren't volume-matched, which is a big part of the reason why I'm neutral on the topic since different cables will have different impedances, even if you have two of the same models. When a replacement cable costs the same, or more than the headphone itself though, I think there are issues there. XD

On the topic of the QP1R, one issue I have with it is the responsiveness of the volume knob compared to what the software recognizes. For example, if I adjust the volume in my pocket, I can feel it click X times, but the volume doesn't actually change X notches.

I agree with your first paragraph.

With regards to your second, what version firmware are you using?

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:26 PM Post #3,623 of 7,140
I agree with your first paragraph.

With regards to your second, what version firmware are you using?

Version 1.07 is what's loaded on here. If you adjust the volume knob or scroll wheel one at a time, slowly, all of the clicks coordinate with the software, but if you scroll more quickly, that's where it seems to fall behind.

e.g. if a loud song suddenly plays in your playlist and you need to turn the volume down a lot, splinning the volume knob quickly doesn't necessarily correlate with a fast change in volume being played

Oh also, is there a way to access the play settings from the Now Playing screen itself? Sometimes I really like a song and I want to repeat that song only.

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #3,624 of 7,140
Version 1.07 is what's loaded on here. If you adjust the volume knob or scroll wheel one at a time, slowly, all of the clicks coordinate with the software, but if you scroll more quickly, that's where it seems to fall behind.

e.g. if a loud song suddenly plays in your playlist and you need to turn the volume down a lot, splinning the volume knob quickly doesn't necessarily correlate with a fast change in volume being played

Thanks for the response.  I'm aware in previous versions, the volume clicks didn't coordinate very well with the firmware, but the later versions got better in this regard.  Probably because the QP1R is translating the analog movement into digital movement.  I usually just go with how I listen and adjust accordingly.  I also listen with High Gain most of the time so I don't have to turn the volume knob very much to reach a desired volume level/position.

Nov 12, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #3,625 of 7,140
Thanks for the response.  I'm aware in previous versions, the volume clicks didn't coordinate very well with the firmware, but the later versions got better in this regard.  Probably because the QP1R is translating the analog movement into digital movement.  I usually just go with how I listen and adjust accordingly.  I also listen with High Gain most of the time so I don't have to turn the volume knob very much to reach a desired volume level/position.

Ah okay. I'll see if updates fix it!

Nov 12, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #3,626 of 7,140
Nov 14, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #3,628 of 7,140
Hello again all,

I find these two usability features quite annoying on the QP1R:
- The volume knob is 'backwards' compared to all others; counter-clockwise increases the volume
- The 2-3 3-4 second 'screen lock' after changing volume is horrid and counterproductive

Any tips / solutions for these?

Other than that, I've been testing DSD with this baby and absolutely this is a world class performer as a portable player in that regard and there are no traces of delta-sigma glare / harshness. This too also benefits from an external amp (such as the FiiO E6 matchbox sized portable amp) for increased smoothness / realism / soundstage, but interestingly the sound of the matchbox sized amp with the QP1R was nearly just as good as when connecting the QP1R to a summit-fi home headphone amp system via line-out.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #3,629 of 7,140
Hello again all,

- The volume knob is 'backwards' compared to all others; counter-clockwise increases the volume
- The 2-3 3-4 second 'screen lock' after changing volume is horrid and counterproductive

Other than that, I've been testing DSD with this baby and absolutely this is a world class performer as a portable player in that regard and there are no traces of delta-sigma glare / harshness. This too also benefits from an external amp (such as the FiiO E6 matchbox sized portable amp) for increased smoothness / realism / soundstage, but interestingly the sound of the matchbox sized amp with the QP1R was nearly just as good as when connecting the QP1R to a summit-fi home headphone amp system via line-out.

In the settings you can change the rotational direction of the volume knob

Nov 14, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #3,630 of 7,140
  Hello again all,

In the settings you can change the rotational direction of the volume knob

In addition to what @CraftyClown suggested, a visit to both Play and System settings (if you haven't done so already) might be a benefit to you. Quite a few of the QP1R default settings are counter-intuitive, IMHO. One for me, is Gapless play (in Play settings) where the default setting is off. Just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back