Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 29, 2016 at 6:37 PM Post #1,351 of 7,140

Bruce has been great.  I think highly of him.

For the record he's been great to me and I'm not even in his district! He let me know yesterday about the "condoms" (yeah, that's going to stick...so to speak...) and the fact that Q makes their own cases and they'd be coming to Canada. Very kind, informed man. I couldn't get ahold of him about the hiss issue, alas, but I think every product needs a guy like Bruce as their rep on this side of the Ocean.

Mar 29, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #1,352 of 7,140
Mar 29, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #1,353 of 7,140
Just had a wonderful chat with Bruce, once again a testament to everything that's great about this company. He confirmed that save for pre-production models there's no hardware variation or version numbers (the ones I saw with HW version numbers were beta). He also confirmed that save for some tweaks in terms of the wheel being stiff or too slick that the production has been basically consistent.

Finally, he was very open and honest about the fact that the amp in the QP may not be a good fit for these headphones (he even indicated that at one time they had talked about an IEM only version of the player!). He had encountered tales of hiss from other IEMs but not from the Shures, but seemed very open and pleased to be given a head's up. He also agreed that doing impedance changes and the like would be a silly way to go - he'd rather I be happy if I want to keep these IEMs with another player than force them to work with the QP with handicapped results.

Forthright and pragmatic, he's a good guy to deal with, and for that reason alone (with other phones) I'd recommend this device to anyone interested in rock solid product with a terrific team behind it.

Now, if I may, stop reading this and go listen to something you love! :)

cheers

Mar 29, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #1,354 of 7,140
So.....This thread looked fun today. I put in an order for the QP1R yesterday and the Zeus tonight. I am going to be a very happy man when they both arrive. I don't think I have ever been this excited for a DAP to arrive. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #1,355 of 7,140
So.....This thread looked fun today. I put in an order for the QP1R yesterday and the Zeus tonight. I am going to be a very happy man when they both arrive. I don't think I have ever been this excited for a DAP to arrive. 

I don't think 'fun' is quite appropriate when the OP, someone who has given so much, was upset by the personal nature that comments went.

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:35 AM Post #1,359 of 7,140
  Had fun loading my QP1R the last couple days. Looking at file sizes. Max so far is The Cars debut album 192/24 FLAC, sounds awesome but almost 2.5 GB!
Grappling with the ALAC versus AIFF debate this evening. Re ripping CD's from my collection using iTunes. Both Lossless formats and can't really say that I hear any difference. The AIFF albums take about 0.6GB and do not involve any compression scheme, the ALAC (Apple Lossless) albums take up only 0.3 GB so roughly half of the AIFF file size, but the QP1R has to work to decode (unzip) the ALAC files, so in theory that could degrade sound quality or battery life due to the processor load. Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

Well, I have been using the QP1R for 6 months now and I have not seen any deterioration in battery life so far. I store all sorts of file formats from AIFF, WAV, FLAC, APE, Mp3,DSD-DSF-DFF,SACD and it makes no difference. The only thing I've noticed is with some of the APE albums, there is a processing delay, but later I ripped them in non APE formats like WAV/ALAC/FLAC and they seem to work fine now.

Now on a different topic, the best sounding albums I have listened to through QP1R so far, consists of albums in various formats, here are the following: 

1. Good People in Times of Evil (APE) [Jonas Helborg, Shawn Lane, Selvaganesh)
2. Jazz at the Pawn Shop  [DSD 128]( Arne Domnérus, Bengt Hallberg, Lars Erstrand, Georg Riedel, Egil Johansen) 
3. Over-nite Sensation/Apostrophe [DSD 64] (Frank Zappa and The Mothers of Invention) 
4. Hand Cannot Erase [24 Bit 96Khz ALAC] (Steven Wilson, Marco Minnemann, Guthrie Govan) 

Mar 31, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #1,360 of 7,140
Cool thanks, I have 3 of those in my music collection, already loaded the old standby Jazz... And will do Hand... tomorrow. My copy of Over... Is vinyl but I did load Apostrophe yesterday LOL I like your taste in music.

I am learning that digital downloads of greater than CD quantity does not promise a better quality listening experience, the recording and mastering are the most important steps to great sound. So I am surprised and a bit disappointed at how expensive these downloads can be. For instance, I asked for recommendations for hip hop or rap, I listened to clips and decided to buy:
Kendrick Lamar To Pimp A Butterfly
The Weeknd Beauty Behind...
These are available from HD tracks as 44.1/24 or I can get the CD's which are 44.1/16. The rub is the digital downloads cost quite a bit more than the CD's. Without knowing how good the recording/mastering is it becomes a difficult choice. I am leaning to the attitude that unless I know the benefits of high res I will just get a CD and rip it. So thanks for your post and if anyone knows of a site that specifically rates album sound quality value in high resolution formats that would be much appreciated! I did notice that is being done by reviewers on the various download sites. So don't hold back guys, review your downloads so the rest of us can make informed purchases :slight_smile:

Mar 31, 2016 at 5:10 AM Post #1,363 of 7,140
Thanks. Plugged my dt1350 in and first impressions very favourable. Brilliant clarity with a slight touch of warmth. Surprisingly good soundstage even with these closed portables. Big step up from x5ii without doubt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back