Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 29, 2016 at 4:20 PM Post #1,336 of 7,140

DP-X1 has served us really well and I personally use my Iphone 6s+ when at the gym. Had a chance to listen to Stillharts and Moe's QP1R but it was very brief with a good bit of ambient noise at CanJam so I unfortunately can't contribute much on this end lol

No worries Jack, your Zeus is simply ultra sensitive and revealing! I almost went to CanJam but decided not to in the last moment. I wish I had a chance to get a second data point listening to another unit.

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:41 PM Post #1,337 of 7,140
Yeah, or a it's not the stock headphone setup. I'll let him speak to that, of course.
As above I tried four units, all differed by FW. I'd hope it's a weird hardware run that's been resolved, that would be terrific news and certainly worth advertising.

My unit was VIP Questyle in the low 400s, fwiw

In fact it is a matter of setup, I need to point out I am using the Norne pure silver cable for the most part, amazing cable, the signal is greatly enhanced with it. When swapped for a stock JH 2pin IEM cable, the overall signal became a bit degraded in comparison, but same goes for the hiss, it's less audible using a cheap stock 2pin. So it is a matter of setup, had I not tried the chain of QP1r -> Norne Therium -> Zeus, the hiss might not have bothered me at all. To Moedawg's credit, when he said no hiss, he didn't exactly use my setup. 

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #1,338 of 7,140
The plastic applique fixed the scroll issue for me. I used it before and after and wouldn't go back to the naked wheel. 

Thanks for your impressions Matt, it is appreciated.:)

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #1,339 of 7,140

Sweet - no hiss for me from my HD25, barely perceptable noise with my 535, zero hiss from my HD600s. My 846s are hissing =when paused=, which is why I didn't notice it before (everytime I tested the player I just dove into music, and analogue recordings with tape his are masking the amp hiss). I only noticed when listening to a digital recording, which is why I came here for help.

I have Shure SE846 IEMs with a custom cable.  My QP1R is set to medium gain.  I can turn the volume setting to 60 (maximum) and hear complete silence.  My guess is the problem is with your earphones themselves or the cable, especially since you don't seem to hear the hiss with your other devices.  The SE846 stock cables are junk.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #1,340 of 7,140

I have Shure SE846 IEMs with a custom cable.  My QP1R is set to medium gain.  I can turn the volume setting to 60 (maximum) and hear complete silence.  My guess is the problem is with your earphones themselves or the cable, especially since you don't seem to hear the hiss with your other devices.  The SE846 stock cables are junk.

Hey, thanks for testing!

As I mentioned changing volume (or gain) does nothing to the hiss. And I did try the stock cable as a test, but I usually use a silver cable and a kimber-style braided that came with it when I bought it. One's from furutech, the other from fiio.

What FW are you running? I got complete silence on power up from older FW, but try this - play something, then pause - any hiss? And, final ask, can you go to settings and let me know if you have a specific HW version listed?

Thanks for your time/patience on this everyone, we just may learn something here... :)

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #1,341 of 7,140
  Hey, thanks for testing!

As I mentioned changing volume (or gain) does nothing to the hiss. And I did try the stock cable as a test, but I usually use a silver cable and a kimber-style braided that came with it when I bought it. One's from furutech, the other from fiio.

What FW are you running? I got complete silence on power up from older FW, but try this - play something, then pause - any hiss? And, final ask, can you go to settings and let me know if you have a specific HW version listed?

Thanks for your time/patience on this everyone, we just may learn something here... :)

I'm running 1.0.5.  I did your test...powered on the unit, started a song, and then paused.  Still heard complete silence.

I don't see anything about a particular HW version in the 'About QP1R' settings or anywhere else.

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #1,342 of 7,140

I'm running 1.0.5.  I did your test...powered on the unit, started a song, and then paused.  Still heard complete silence.

I don't see anything about a particular HW version in the 'About QP1R' settings or anywhere else.

My hissing is the same on 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, also regardless of gain level. I really don't know if it is something a FW update would fix...

Mar 29, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #1,343 of 7,140
  My hissing is the same on 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, also regardless of gain level. I really don't know if it is something a FW update would fix...

Have you contacted Questyle to ask if it's a known issue?  If so, you would know for certain that the problem is with your player.

Either way, I suggest trying a replacement unit since not everyone hears the hissing and it seems to really bother you.  FWIW, I had 2 problem units that were returned, but my current player has been working well (knock on wood) and sounds terrific.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:07 PM Post #1,344 of 7,140

Have you contacted Questyle to ask if it's a known issue?  If so, you would know for certain that the problem is with your player.

Either way, I suggest trying a replacement unit since not everyone hears the hissing and it seems to really bother you.  FWIW, I had 2 problem units that were returned, but my current player has been working well (knock on wood) and sounds terrific.

That's what I'm in the process of, the retailer is out of units right now and after another week I should have something to compare against. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #1,345 of 7,140

Excellent news!

Yeah, I didn't have that on mine either, but it was on two of the units I was testing with today and was surprised to see it...

And, confirmed, this is with 846s. Curious how long ago you  got your QP? Maybe it was fixed in a more recent run...

Thanks again for your time/patience.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #1,346 of 7,140

Eesh - out of curiosity, what didn't work with the first two? Forgive me if that's earlier in this thread.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #1,347 of 7,140
  Excellent news!

Yeah, I didn't have that on mine either, but it was on two of the units I was testing with today and was surprised to see it...

And, confirmed, this is with 846s. Curious how long ago you  got your QP? Maybe it was fixed in a more recent run...

Thanks again for your time/patience.

I got this last one no more than a month ago.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #1,348 of 7,140

Eesh - out of curiosity, what didn't work with the first two? Forgive me if that's earlier in this thread.

With the first one, the volume knob suddenly went whacky.  There was also a problem with the battery not always charging properly.

With the second one, the battery died within the first 24 hours.  I couldn't power it on again.

I haven't had any of those problems (knock on wood) with the third one.  I think they are working out production problems when they become known.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:26 PM Post #1,349 of 7,140

With the first one, the volume knob suddenly went whacky.  There was also a problem with the battery not always charging properly.

With the second one, the battery died within the first 24 hours.  I couldn't power it on again.

I haven't had any of those problems (knock on wood) with the third one.  I think they are working out production problems when they become known.

Very good that they've been taking care of you... Would be fascinating to know if my problem is a known issue - my retailer wasn't aware (they're also the Canadian distributor), but I wonder if Bruce knows more. Regardless, looks like there's some teething pain as expected, very positive that they've worked with you to make it right.

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:30 PM Post #1,350 of 7,140

Very good that they've been taking care of you... Would be fascinating to know if my problem is a known issue - my retailer wasn't aware (they're also the Canadian distributor), but I wonder if Bruce knows more. Regardless, looks like there's some teething pain as expected, very positive that they've worked with you to make it right.

Bruce has been great.  I think highly of him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back