Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 31, 2016 at 6:49 AM Post #1,367 of 7,140
Tried the shure se846 and there is minor hissing but I don't see it as a problem. Certainly not as noticeable as the Hugo which I used to own. Currently trying to evaluate qp1r vs qpr1 to mojo. Initial impressions suggest I no longer need a mojo.

Mar 31, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #1,373 of 7,140
I certainly wouldn't say that the qp1r is perfect, because it isn't. In fact I can understand why some people would pass on this DAP because of it's list of shortcomings with the wheel/navigation being at the top of the list. That being said, I find this device brings me more enjoyment than any portable device that I've owned. 

Being able to drive ALL of my full sized headphone with a DAP, seriously? And it's not that it gets those headphones to satisfyingly high level, but it drives them with finesse and musicality. While it's not fully comparable to a desktop solution, what it does offer in a package about the size of playing card is...impressive indeed.

The important part for me is that Questyle got the sound quality right. I'd go as far to say "class leading" in it's category. Also it's kinda cool for me already owning a pair of cma800r's to get another Questyle device.
wink.gif

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #1,375 of 7,140
Cool thanks, I have 3 of those in my music collection, already loaded the old standby Jazz... And will do Hand... tomorrow. My copy of Over... Is vinyl but I did load Apostrophe yesterday LOL I like your taste in music.

I am learning that digital downloads of greater than CD quantity does not promise a better quality listening experience, the recording and mastering are the most important steps to great sound. So I am surprised and a bit disappointed at how expensive these downloads can be. For instance, I asked for recommendations for hip hop or rap, I listened to clips and decided to buy:
Kendrick Lamar To Pimp A Butterfly
The Weeknd Beauty Behind...
These are available from HD tracks as 44.1/24 or I can get the CD's which are 44.1/16. The rub is the digital downloads cost quite a bit more than the CD's. Without knowing how good the recording/mastering is it becomes a difficult choice. I am leaning to the attitude that unless I know the benefits of high res I will just get a CD and rip it. So thanks for your post and if anyone knows of a site that specifically rates album sound quality value in high resolution formats that would be much appreciated! I did notice that is being done by reviewers on the various download sites. So don't hold back guys, review your downloads so the rest of us can make informed purchases :slight_smile:

The AIFF 24 Bit 96Khz download of "Tommy" by The Who is a very good HD tracks album. Speaking of Tommy, the Tommy Emmanuel albums, especially the acoustic stuff even in mp3 formats sound stupendous with the QP1R, although I will further add that any properly recorded acoustic music has an organic quality (Cliched, but couldn't find a better term) to it through this device, which is very hard to describe.

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #1,377 of 7,140
  I certainly wouldn't say that the qp1r is perfect, because it isn't. In fact I can understand why some people would pass on this DAP because of it's list of shortcomings with the wheel/navigation being at the top of the list. That being said, I find this device brings me more enjoyment than any portable device that I've owned. 

Being able to drive ALL of my full sized headphone with a DAP, seriously? And it's not that it gets those headphones to satisfyingly high level, but it drives them with finesse and musicality. While it's not fully comparable to a desktop solution, what it does offer in a package about the size of playing card is...impressive indeed.

The important part for me is that Questyle got the sound quality right. I'd go as far to say "class leading" in it's category. Also it's kinda cool for me already owning a pair of cma800r's to get another Questyle device.
wink.gif

How does the CMA 800R sound relative to the QP1R? I'm thinking of getting the reference gold version in the foreseeable future. 

Thanks 

Mar 31, 2016 at 12:33 PM Post #1,379 of 7,140
Regarding the scroll wheel:
1. Demo, hmm, not sure I like this wheel, ah, sounds too good to be true, I'll get used to the wheel.
2. Buyers remorse stage, damn, this wheel is is a PITA!
3. Licking fingers stage, oh that's better, something weird still going on...
4. Discovery stage, oh, I see, I'm hitting the adaptive touch buttons accidentally.
5. One week in stage, I got this.
6. Two weeks in stage, There's nothing wrong with the "helm", it works fine, LOL!

Mar 31, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #1,380 of 7,140
Regarding the scroll wheel:
1. Demo, hmm, not sure I like this wheel, ah, sounds too good to be true, I'll get used to the wheel.
2. Buyers remorse stage, damn, this wheel is is a PITA!
3. Licking fingers stage, oh that's better, something weird still going on...
4. Discovery stage, oh, I see, I'm hitting the adaptive touch buttons accidentally.
5. One week in stage, I got this.
6. Two weeks in stage, There's nothing wrong with the "helm", it works fine, LOL!

Sweet glad you are enjoying your unit, it took me a few days to get proficient with the wheel, but its all worth it because of the glorious sound.:) Hope you have a good day jamming out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back