Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Dec 23, 2015 at 9:32 AM Post #633 of 7,140

Hi, I was referring to either or as a portable rig. I've used the intruder and lightning. Looking to upgrade to an "all in one" unit. But sound quality is first and foremost the most important.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. It's really more about what you overall want more than pure sound quality with regards to the comparison of an external amplifier and the QP1R, in my opinion.

I liked the output sound of the Intruder (balanced), but the fact that it is not an all in one solution and turns the connected smartphone/internet-cable device to a local music player (have to put in airplane-type of mode) because of RF interference/incessant hissing was enough for me to not like the increase of audio fidelity of the Intruder more than having to make a plethora of sacrifices (need new balanced cable, purchase of the Intruder, adding to bulk so everything is much less portable, making sure an extra device is charged up or have to use external charger, etcetera).

The sound of the QP1R single ended, coupled with the all in one ability and portability makes me not want or need to use any type of strap-on amplifier, balanced or otherwise.

+1.  I was contemplating the carrying case for my Hugo with X5(I) until I got the QP.  I don't believe stacking is necessary.  I even have a new ALO RX sittin' lonely.

Dec 23, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #634 of 7,140
Hmm my QP1R should be delivered some time today, and I am growing impatient lol. I plan to use the QP1R to drive my ETHER C's or my OPPO PM-3'S, when I am out and about. I hope everyone has a Great merry Christmas.:)

Dec 23, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #635 of 7,140
Okay, thanks for the clarification. It's really more about what you overall want more than pure sound quality with regards to the comparison of an external amplifier and the QP1R, in my opinion.

I liked the output sound of the Intruder (balanced), but the fact that it is not an all in one solution and turns the connected smartphone/internet-cable device to a local music player (have to put in airplane-type of mode) because of RF interference/incessant hissing was enough for me to not like the increase of audio fidelity of the Intruder more than having to make a plethora of sacrifices (need new balanced cable, purchase of the Intruder, adding to bulk so everything is much less portable, making sure an extra device is charged up or have to use external charger, etcetera).

The sound of the QP1R single ended, coupled with the all in one ability and portability makes me not want or need to use any type of strap-on amplifier, balanced or otherwise.

Thank you for the info. My biggest concern is going from balanced to se. I usually listen to hard rock/metal and generally it's not mastered very well. The balanced seems to be a bit better with soundstage and helps with the harshness a bit (I hate too much treble). If the rsa products are better, I guess I'll stick with them.

Dec 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #638 of 7,140
I agree with the Current Mode Amp in the QP1 you'll get plenty of power and a sound stage with dynamics that will keep you smiling for hours!

I would agree as well - Power, check.  Soundstage, check.  Dynamics...triple check.

Quote:

+1.  I was contemplating the carrying case for my Hugo with X5(I) until I got the QP.  I don't believe stacking is necessary.  I even have a new ALO RX sittin' lonely.

What's crazy is that I listened to the Hugo and really wanted one, but after listening to the QP1R, I did not want to purchase something in the thousands range that sounds great, but doesn't to my ears sound unequivocally more resolving than the QP1R, not to mention, I would have to stack the Hugo to whatever I connected it to.  

Hmm my QP1R should be delivered some time today, and I am growing impatient lol. I plan to use the QP1R to drive my ETHER C's or my OPPO PM-3'S, when I am out and about. I hope everyone has a Great merry Christmas.
smily_headphones1.gif

Congrats, looking forward to your impressions.  Merry Christmas to you as well!

Thank you for the info. My biggest concern is going from balanced to se. I usually listen to hard rock/metal and generally it's not mastered very well. The balanced seems to be a bit better with soundstage and helps with the harshness a bit (I hate too much treble). If the rsa products are better, I guess I'll stick with them.

I would say the RSA Intruder sound quality is debatable compared to the iPhone's sound quality (some may enjoy the more intimate presentation of the iPhone).  I enjoy the sound quality from the QP1R more than the Intruder mainly because I detected a more favorable experience with the QP1R compared to my iPhone compared to the experience with the Intruder compared to my iPhone.

What would be the best for you to do is listen to all of the RSA products you are interested in and the QP1R and come to the conclusion with regards to which one you overall enjoy the most yourself.  With that said, if I had to choose between the RSA Intruder and the QP1R, I would personally choose the QP1R at least for the reasons stated in the previous posts.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #639 of 7,140
Congrats, looking forward to your impressions.  Merry Christmas to you as well!

I would say the RSA Intruder sound quality is debatable compared to the iPhone's sound quality (some may enjoy the more intimate presentation of the iPhone).  I enjoy the sound quality from the QP1R more than the Intruder mainly because I detected a more favorable experience with the QP1R compared to my iPhone compared to the experience with the Intruder compared to my iPhone.

What would be the best for you to do is listen to all of the RSA products you are interested in and the QP1R and come to the conclusion with regards to which one you overall enjoy the most yourself.  With that said, if I had to choose between the RSA Intruder and the QP1R, I would personally choose the QP1R at least for the reasons stated in the previous posts.

I've owned the intruder and now own the Lightning (both with a 2nd gen. iPod nano). Both sounded pretty much the same to me. I wish I could listen to these before buying but no one sells these things around the Boston, MA area so I'm fully dependent on forum feedback.

Dec 23, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #640 of 7,140
I've owned the intruder and now own the Lightning (both with a 2nd gen. iPod nano). Both sounded pretty much the same to me. I wish I could listen to these before buying but no one sells these things around the Boston, MA area so I'm fully dependent on forum feedback.

Maybe you can purchase what you want to listen to that has a good return policy and then send back what you do not like.

Also, there are Head-Fi meets in the Boston/New England area from time to time, maybe you can attend an upcoming meet and listen to a plethora of setups and products.

CanJam SoCal will be this March, so maybe if you can, take a vacation and attend - it would be nice to meet you and anyone else attending! 

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #641 of 7,140

You think the qp is better than your others in terms of sound quality, or is the portability swaying you?

Better than anything I've owned and/or stacked.  The Hugo is relegated to the computer, the QP1R, for everywhere else.  I wouldn't give up either or regret buying either.
The only change I'd make, maybe, is if I won a hypothetical Hugo-TT contest of some sort.
QP1R is my endgame for the next few years at least.
Merry Xmas to all QP owners.

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #642 of 7,140

Better than anything I've owned and/or stacked.  The Hugo is relegated to the computer, the QP1R, for everywhere else.  I wouldn't give up either or regret buying either.
The only change I'd make, maybe, is if I won a hypothetical Hugo-TT contest of some sort.

Merry Xmas/Christmas and Happy Holidays to you as well! 

Dec 23, 2015 at 5:37 PM Post #643 of 7,140
MY QP1R has arrived, it is very nice. I am charging it up, then will put some music on it. I will get a micro sd card after Christmas. The traffic is so bad it could suck the Christmas spirit out of you. Lol
I will post a picture later on. I hope everyone stays safe.

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #644 of 7,140

Thanks from a proud QP1R Gold owner...Happy Holidays to you and yours!
beerchug.gif

Dec 23, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #645 of 7,140
I am very impressed on how well the QP1R sounds. It blows away my last portable rig. My ETHER C's sound just great.driven by the QP1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back