Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Dec 17, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #616 of 7,140

There was a difference, but not a night and day difference, more like a dusk to night difference.  Some IEMs and headphones may accentuate the differences and some may not emit as apparent certain differences.

I would personally say to go for the QP1 if you are strapped for cash, knowing you will receive a great sounding DAP, and go for the QP1R if you want the best SQ that Questyle can currently offer, for a few hundred dollars more.

What color would you be going for?

Thanks for the advice.  I like to go for the best but was curious of the sound difference and amping capabilities.  

As for color, I'm fine with either.  Gold or Space Grey is fine as long as it plays heavenly music.  
etysmile.gif

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #617 of 7,140
Moedawg,

I was thinking about getting the Empire Spartan-IV,

I see on their website they have a customization option to lower the sensitivity to help out with hissing. Is this a needed option with the QP1R? I mean was this an opton on the pair you listened too?

I personally do not hear hissing with any of the Empire Ear IEMs and the QP1R combination. I wouldn't want to choose the lower sensitivity to possibly have the sound degrade because of the option. Since the QP1R doesn't emit hiss with the lineup, you shouldn't even need to consider the lower sensitivity option.

Dec 17, 2015 at 4:58 PM Post #618 of 7,140
Thanks for the advice.  I like to go for the best but was curious of the sound difference and amping capabilities.  

As for color, I'm fine with either.  Gold or Space Grey is fine as long as it plays heavenly music.  :etysmile:

There are sound differences of both the QP1 and QP1R in the review, but not pairings of specifically your IEM and headphone. As for amping requirements, both do not need an amp because the QP1 and QP1R are able to power most all IEMs/headphones sufficiently and using an add-on amp will simply color the sound as well.

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #619 of 7,140
I personally do not hear hissing with any of the Empire Ear IEMs and the QP1R combination. I wouldn't want to choose the lower sensitivity to possibly have the sound degrade because of the option. Since the QP1R doesn't emit hiss with the lineup, you shouldn't even need to consider the lower sensitivity option.

I don't hear any low level noise with the low gain setting with my custom Westone ES5 IEMs.

Dec 17, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #620 of 7,140
I don't hear any low level noise with the low gain setting with my custom Westone ES5 IEMs.

I'd bet! The QP1R performs admirably with regards to emitting a perceivably black background. :beerchug:

Dec 17, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #621 of 7,140
There are sound differences of both the QP1 and QP1R in the review, but not pairings of specifically your IEM and headphone. As for amping requirements, both do not need an amp because the QP1 and QP1R are able to power most all IEMs/headphones sufficiently and using an add-on amp will simply color the sound as we

Oh no, I never meant add on an amp.  I knew they were capable in driving some difficult cans.  

The Noble 4C is similar to the UERM.  Very neutral sounding which is why I had asked if there was any noticeable sound difference between the both.  When you say one is night and the other dusk, would that be referring to clarity, space or bass punch?

Dec 17, 2015 at 9:16 PM Post #622 of 7,140
Oh no, I never meant add on an amp.  I knew they were capable in driving some difficult cans.  

The Noble 4C is similar to the UERM.  Very neutral sounding which is why I had asked if there was any noticeable sound difference between the both.  When you say one is night and the other dusk, would that be referring to clarity, space or bass punch?

My apologies, I wasn't sure what you meant when you said amping capabilities.

I would say the difference between both the QP1 and QP1R is based on clarity and overall coherency than huge differences in bass punch, in my opinion. It's basically every facet of the presentation heightened when listening to the QP1R after listening to the QP1.

Dec 18, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #623 of 7,140
My apologies, I wasn't sure what you meant when you said amping capabilities.

I would say the difference between both the QP1 and QP1R is based on clarity and overall coherency than huge differences in bass punch, in my opinion. It's basically every facet of the presentation heightened when listening to the QP1R after listening to the QP1.

Thank you.  I'm gonna go after the QP1R =)

Dec 18, 2015 at 7:26 AM Post #624 of 7,140
Dec 18, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #625 of 7,140
Is there a proper leather case for the QP-1R?  The Morphie looks nice but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a drill to make the necessary holes in the case if I pick up a QP-1R !
I did audition the QP-1R at The Show Newport in May.  Very impressive.

Dec 18, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #626 of 7,140
Is there a proper leather case for the QP-1R?  The Morphie looks nice but I'm not sure I'm ready to buy a drill to make the necessary holes in the case if I pick up a QP-1R !
I did audition the QP-1R at The Show Newport in May.  Very impressive.

Search "Dignis QP1R case" in eBay, and you will see brown and black versions of the Dignis leather QP1/QP1R case for sale.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #628 of 7,140
Hi, has anyone compared this to any of the rsa products? I've had a few and run my K10 CIEM's balanced. Thanks in advance!

If you are referring to the RSA and the QP1R combination, I have listened to several of the lineup - all sound very good and have exemplary synergy. I would say my overall current favorite for the price would probably be the S500i and QP1R combination.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #629 of 7,140
Hi, I was referring to either or as a portable rig. I've used the intruder and lightning. Looking to upgrade to an "all in one" unit. But sound quality is first and foremost the most important.

Dec 22, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #630 of 7,140
Hi, I was referring to either or as a portable rig. I've used the intruder and lightning. Looking to upgrade to an "all in one" unit. But sound quality is first and foremost the most important.

Okay, thanks for the clarification. It's really more about what you overall want more than pure sound quality with regards to the comparison of an external amplifier and the QP1R, in my opinion.

I liked the output sound of the Intruder (balanced), but the fact that it is not an all in one solution and turns the connected smartphone/internet-capable device to a local music player (have to put in airplane-type of mode) because of RF interference/incessant hissing was enough for me to not like the increase of audio fidelity of the Intruder more than having to make a plethora of sacrifices (need new balanced cable, purchase of the Intruder, adding to bulk so everything is much less portable, making sure an extra device is charged up or have to use external charger, etcetera).

The sound of the QP1R single ended, coupled with the all in one ability and portability makes me not want or need to use any type of strap-on amplifier, balanced or otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back