Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 27, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #1,216 of 7,140
There seems to be a good bit of wiggle before it kicks the volume over to the next level. Is this normal?

kindly,

Matt

I get that wiggle thing too.

And yes there's not much to nitpick ( tho the ability to change songs without turning on the screen is a bit frustrating for me ). Would be nice if there are nodded FWs around... are there?

Mar 27, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #1,217 of 7,140
  Okay, I admit that I'm completely enamored with the qp1r. It's ability to drive both Ether open and closed and maintain wonderful synergy is really impressive. But, the ability to drive the hd800 is almost befuddling. Well done Questyle!!

I honestly having a hard time finding areas to nit-pick with this DAP. I concede that a full length hi-res touch screen would have been nice. But I'll gladly forgive that for the sound quality the qp1r renders so flawlessly. Also, a balanced output option would be nice...just to satisfy my last bit of curiosity about the qp1r's potential. 

One question. How loose is the volume knob intended on this unit. There seems to be a good bit of wiggle before it kicks the volume over to the next level. Is this normal?

kindly,

Matt

They needed to leave something to add to the next version "QP2R"...
wink_face.gif
  I can't wait until mine shows up and I can pair it with the Ether C that I just got! 
biggrin.gif

Cheers!
beerchug.gif

-HK sends

Mar 27, 2016 at 12:19 PM Post #1,219 of 7,140
Just bought a DPX1 on Amazon, though it will be a little while before it gets delivered, strongly considering changing to a QP1R. The DPX1 is appealing to me for Tidal streaming–for on the go use I can finally stop downloading and preloading all of my music, but it seems like people like the sound of the QP1R more... erg... thoughts?

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:05 PM Post #1,220 of 7,140
Oh, screw it. I know I'm just gonna want the QP1R, making my order now. I can just use my Mojo if I really want to use Tidal, I can transfer music the "old fashion way."

Edit: The damage is done. I went with gold and a black case. I mistakenly didn't spend much time with the QP1R at CanJam, but I thought the gold looked very nice. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #1,221 of 7,140
  Oh, screw it. I know I'm just gonna want the QP1R, making my order now. I can just use my Mojo if I really want to use Tidal, I can transfer music the "old fashion way."

Edit: The damage is done. I went with gold and a black case. I mistakenly didn't spend much time with the QP1R at CanJam, but I thought the gold looked very nice. 

I wished I'd pulled the trigger a while ago. The qp1r has greatly exceeded my expectations. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:40 PM Post #1,222 of 7,140

I wished I'd pulled the trigger a while ago. The qp1r has greatly exceeded my expectations. 

Glad you enjoy the QP1R, and congratulations! 

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:48 PM Post #1,223 of 7,140

Every single night at bedtime I pull out my QP1r and HD800's and spend an hour or so listening to music.  

I never thought I'd enjoy having a DAP.    I'm surprised at how much fun it is to have so much music right there at my fingertips. 

Mar 27, 2016 at 4:51 PM Post #1,224 of 7,140
Every single night at bedtime I pull out my QP1r and HD800's and spend an hour or so listening to music.  

I never thought I'd enjoy having a DAP.    I'm surprised at how much fun it is to have so much music right there at my fingertips. 

Yep, and nothing to strap to a device (additional DAC/amp/interconnect cable) is a plus as well! :beerchug:

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #1,225 of 7,140
I'm anxious for mine to arrive.  If it gets here Tuesday, I'll have it for our San Diego trip next week.  If not, I won't get it until Saturday.

I continue to struggle with the output power quoted for the device vs what literally everyone says about it's ability to drive planars and higher impedance loads.  I gotta believe the output power quoted is not measured the same as other devices, or is in error.  Joule's law is pretty much immutable: V= IR; P = I2R and all.  Voltage out is in the range of other devices, output impedance of the device is very low, so it seems that power should be on the order of what other devices are producing.

Can anyone lend a hand here?  Wait - 1.9 Vrms = I*23 ohms (for the Ether C, roughly) so I = 82.6 mA.  P = I2R = 157 mW.  Not huge, but not 40 mW either.  Same calc yields 112mW for the 32 ohms noted in the QP1R specs.

What gives?  Basic circuits was like 35+ years ago for me - is my math wrong?

Mar 27, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #1,226 of 7,140
  I'm anxious for mine to arrive.  If it gets here Tuesday, I'll have it for our San Diego trip next week.  If not, I won't get it until Saturday.

I continue to struggle with the output power quoted for the device vs what literally everyone says about it's ability to drive planars and higher impedance loads.  I gotta believe the output power quoted is not measured the same as other devices, or is in error.  Joule's law is pretty much immutable: V= IR; P = I2R and all.  Voltage out is in the range of other devices, output impedance of the device is very low, so it seems that power should be on the order of what other devices are producing.

Can anyone lend a hand here?  Wait - 1.9 Vrms = I*23 (for the Ether C, roughly) so I = 82.6 mA.  P = I2R = 157 mW.  Not huge, but not 40 mW either.  Same calc yields 112mW.

What gives?  Basic circuits was like 35+ years ago for me - is my math wrong?

First, congrats to you for the purchase, and nice seeing you here, my friend!

Second, the current mode amplification of Questyle/the QP1R basically means paper measurements/numbers are thrown out the window.  When you receive the QP1R, try it out for yourself to self-determine if it is best and most optimal for your wants and needs.

Looking forward to your impressions once you receive the QP1R! 
beerchug.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #1,227 of 7,140
  The damage is done. I went with gold and a black case. I mistakenly didn't spend much time with the QP1R at CanJam, but I thought the gold looked very nice. 

I have the gold QP1R with the black case and it looks very nice.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #1,228 of 7,140
I have the gold QP1R with the black case and it looks very nice.

I was debating whether to get the black case or the brown/tan case. The black case looked great when I tried it on (so did the Gray), but wound up going with the one that looked the most like the Golden QP1R itself. I can definitely see someone choosing any color case, though. :normal_smile :

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #1,229 of 7,140
Just a great product all around. Love that I can have this kind of sound in my car as well as at home. I think the Onkyo DPX-1 is being created to compete with the QP1R. It appears they are going to be about the same price . Will be interested in seeing and HEARING it.

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #1,230 of 7,140
Just a great product all around. Love that I can have this kind of sound in my car as well as at home. I think the Onkyo DPX-1 is being created to compete with the QP1R. It appears they are going to be about the same price . Will be interested in seeing and HEARING it.

Both are different products and I think aren't trying to reach the same type of customer. I feel with the Onkyo (at least when I experienced it) you almost might as well use a smartphone, since a lot of the options/features the Onkyo can do (aside from balanced), a modern smartphone can do already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back