Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Mar 16, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #1,081 of 7,140
I had gotten a chance to speak to Bruce briefly a couple of weeks back, but mainly discussed the wheel issue, and the unbelievable sound quality. I was told that wheel skins will be sent out to all registered owners as soon as Questyle receives them. Originally designed to protect the wheel surface, however they improve the operation as well.
I never asked about upcoming firmware updates, but have some experience with the matter being that I was an early adopter of the FiiO X5. Short answer...things only get better. I may go as far as to make the statement that the player may have hit the streets to get it into peoples hands with the intent working on the small glitches as they presented. Honestly...I based my decision on the opinion that the QP1R sounded as good as a $3000+ AK380. I can be patient with a few firmware issues.

Mar 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #1,082 of 7,140
I definitely experience the kinds of lags you mention.  They seem quite long sometimes.

I haven't had the exact experience you mention finding albums and songs, but I there are a couple of artists/songs that yield the message 'format not supported' when the QP1R shuffles to them.  If I play the album in its entirety in the regular sequence, the songs play just fine.  I assume there is a weird quirk in the OS that causes this problem, but I don't know why it seems limited to the same artist/songs.  I suppose it could also be the way the songs were originally copied to the SD card.  I've never tried deleting them and then copying the files again from my computer.

Hmm... will definitely try that... but yes the quirks should be fixed in later FWs

Mar 16, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #1,083 of 7,140
Hello everyone, that's my first time posting something, actually, i want some guidande. From now, i'm using an iphone 6 as my only DAP. But i'm saving to upgrade. I've been reading a lot of reviews in this forum and i got very interested in the qp1r. But, my main issue with the iphone is the output power, it's about:44.04 mW into 15 ohm and 26.39 ohm into 33 ohm load. When i read the qp1r specs, it's: high gain= 40 mW @32 ohm, 12 mW @300ohm. Considering these specs, i find it pretty weak and lacking in driving capability. All the reviews are saying how this player has high driving capabilities. I'm very confuse cause of all these. Please, need your help to be enlightened.

PS: not a native speaker. Can't demo anything in my country.

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:28 AM Post #1,085 of 7,140
  Hello everyone, that's my first time posting something, actually, i want some guidande. From now, i'm using an iphone 6 as my only DAP. But i'm saving to upgrade. I've been reading a lot of reviews in this forum and i got very interested in the qp1r. But, my main issue with the iphone is the output power, it's about:44.04 mW into 15 ohm and 26.39 ohm into 33 ohm load. When i read the qp1r specs, it's: high gain= 40 mW @32 ohm, 12 mW @300ohm. Considering these specs, i find it pretty weak and lacking in driving capability. All the reviews are saying how this player has high driving capabilities. I'm very confuse cause of all these. Please, need your help to be enlightened.

The QP1R drives cans and iems very well. It uses a patented current mode feeding headphones instead of using a voltage that drops over time. The current stays constant. This makes the specs misleading as the QP1R is much more capable than what the specs say. It is not an apples to apples comparison with the iphone's specs.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #1,086 of 7,140

Sometimes.

I have questions too. Does anyone have problems with not being able to find some songs? My qp1r has not veen able to find some albums and songs within those albums but when I check the storage on my laptop, the filed are clearly there and are able to be played. And yes I have made sure to scan library multiple times

Also, does anyone experience lag? The song cover takes a while to load and the device just lags in general sometimes

I definitely experience the kinds of lags you mention.  They seem quite long sometimes.

I haven't had the exact experience you mention finding albums and songs, but I there are a couple of artists/songs that yield the message 'format not supported' when the QP1R shuffles to them.  If I play the album in its entirety in the regular sequence, the songs play just fine.  I assume there is a weird quirk in the OS that causes this problem, but I don't know why it seems limited to the same artist/songs.  I suppose it could also be the way the songs were originally copied to the SD card.  I've never tried deleting them and then copying the files again from my computer.

Is it possible there's an unsupported character in the file name?

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:17 AM Post #1,087 of 7,140
  I had gotten a chance to speak to Bruce briefly a couple of weeks back, but mainly discussed the wheel issue, and the unbelievable sound quality. I was told that wheel skins will be sent out to all registered owners as soon as Questyle receives them. Originally designed to protect the wheel surface, however they improve the operation as well.
I never asked about upcoming firmware updates, but have some experience with the matter being that I was an early adopter of the FiiO X5. Short answer...things only get better. I may go as far as to make the statement that the player may have hit the streets to get it into peoples hands with the intent working on the small glitches as they presented. Honestly...I based my decision on the opinion that the QP1R sounded as good as a $3000+ AK380. I can be patient with a few firmware issues.

Thanks.  You saved me from double-posting from the QP1 thread.
Anyone like to converse about music they've found enlightening or world-rocking from this beautiful DAP?

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #1,088 of 7,140

If you haven't, I'd strongly recommend moedawg140's extensive review at the begining of the thread.  Or, look on the Questyle site for info about their current mode amplification.
Power doesn't always mean everything.  HTH.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #1,090 of 7,140

I won't repeat the technical explanations that others have already given you.  I will just say that the QP1R will blow away your iphone in every possible respect and will drive any IEM and almost all headphones.  You won't regret buying one.

Mar 17, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #1,091 of 7,140
Is it possible there's an unsupported character in the file name?

Hmm... that album is Kodaline's a perfect world and another is mark ronson's uptown special. Didn't see any suspicious looking characters.

But I'm suspecting there are legit UI issues. Left the house with 50% batt. It was around 30% when I last saw the screen. Then I put it in my pocket. Around 5 - 10 minutes later it shut itself down. It was on medium gain at around 25. Maybe the screen was on ( at full brightness ) but I don't think it would've gone down to 4% that quickly?

Mar 17, 2016 at 11:46 AM Post #1,092 of 7,140
The power indicator is not proportional. The lower the % the faster it goes down .. But you should be getting around 7 to maybe 10 hours of playback in total from 100% to 4% ... Of course it depends on screen use, gain, volume level

Mar 17, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #1,093 of 7,140
I've been looking at some of the reviews on Questyle QP1R and some say that it is a little on the warm side at the top end. I like a lot of treble in my sound and helps me hear a lot of detail, i have a Astell & Kern AK240 and there is no shortage there. Can anyone comment on this please ? I am thinking of getting one of these.

Mar 17, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #1,094 of 7,140
I've been looking at some of the reviews on Questyle QP1R and some say that it is a little on the warm side at the top end. I like a lot of treble in my sound and helps me hear a lot of detail, i have a Astell & Kern AK240 and there is no shortage there. Can anyone comment on this please ? I am thinking of getting one of these.

Where do you reside? If you aren't able to make CanJam SoCal in Costa Mesa, CA this weekend to audition the QP1R, maybe you can meet up with a fellow Head-Fier around your area you can meet that has one that you can listen to. This way, you'll be able to judge for yourself if the QP1R is best for your wants and needs.

Mar 17, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #1,095 of 7,140
The power indicator is not proportional. The lower the % the faster it goes down .. But you should be getting around 7 to maybe 10 hours of playback in total from 100% to 4% ... Of course it depends on screen use, gain, volume level

Ohh I see... really got me worried I had some battery problem or something.... experienced sudden changes in the battery of another DAP I had due to an old battery

Users who are viewing this thread

Back