Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Nov 28, 2017 at 2:33 AM Post #5,746 of 7,140
Is the gain setting gone for the new 120 level volume?
Get well and regards to you, moe!
The current 120 level setting allows users/listeners to fine-tune their overall volume more effectively, but I much prefer the 60 level volume with three different gain settings (L,M, H). An option of both (60 and 120 level volume) in possible future update(s) would presumably keep everyone happy.

Thank you for the kind words!

Nov 28, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #5,749 of 7,140
On the advice of a forum member, I fully charged my QP1R and played it overnight to flatten the battery. They thought a couple of cycles like this would help synch the software to the battery and maybe cure the issue I had with the new firmware, where it went from over 50% to off in 30 minutes. This was without a full charge when I loaded the new firmware, however.

I checked it a couple of times during this process and the battery indicator seemed to be working in a linear fashion below the 50% mark, unlike before.

When I switched it back on, it showed 4% in red with the normal warning to charge the unit. I am running to empty again to try and repeat the result, but I am surprised this would make a difference.

Perhaps someone with technical knowledge could explain what is happening?

The software is measuring the voltage of the battery to calculate the capacity - when it is accurate calibrated at 4% the remaining battery charge is low but not total empty because this is bad for the battery lifetime. With one full loading cycle from 4% to 100% the software measures the voltage of the full loaded battery and assume it with 100% capacity. The software have implemented a scheme translating the new value of reduced voltage into the remaining battery capacity in percentage.

Normally this is also a part of the Android operating systems - this is also a frequently problem with smartphones.
See also: https://www.androidpit.com/how-to-calibrate-the-battery-on-your-android-device

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2017 at 7:58 AM Post #5,751 of 7,140
Thanks for your answer. It seems to make sense to me. Do you think if I repeat my first test and the battery drains in a linear fashion from 100% to 4%, then we can all collectively breath a sigh of relief?

I've got an RMA number for my QP1R and am in the UK from Wednesday to Saturday, but I'll still be OK to send on Monday if there is still a problem.
I for one, am happy things may be starting to work out. Can't try the FW till tonight, as I need my son's eyes to get me to the update menu choice.
Are there any secondary fixes and features unmentioned, so far? I, of course, refer to my obsession, 'play-through.'

Nov 28, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #5,753 of 7,140
Thanks for your answer. It seems to make sense to me. Do you think if I repeat my first test and the battery drains in a linear fashion from 100% to 4%, then we can all collectively breath a sigh of relief?

I've got an RMA number for my QP1R and am in the UK from Wednesday to Saturday, but I'll still be OK to send on Monday if there is still a problem.

There is not warranty for the future because the battery issue in the past started after several months of usage.
Out of the box it worked flawless - but i think this time Querstyle made a good job - they had a lot of time to improve this behaviour (11 months).
Your QP1R is technical identical to all other ones - it makes no sense to send it back for repair.
Hopefully Questyle will be in touch with us also in the future and care for their existing customers.

Nov 28, 2017 at 1:59 PM Post #5,755 of 7,140
I thought the battery issue was always present. The first time my new QP1R ran out of battery was at 19%. Now that you have said that, I think I'll have to RMA it back.

Can anyone from Questyle tell me why that although it appears the battery issue is now fixed, it won't appear again with a few months of use, as mentioned in the above post?
It might be that you have to run a full-cycle discharge from time to time to ensure its acuracy. I have no idea if it's right, but I heard something like that on the old Hugo thread.

Nov 28, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #5,760 of 7,140
Has the sound quality changed at all with the new firmware?

Here is a quote from another thread.

"1.09 rocks. I've been hanging with 1.05 because I don't need the DAC and thought it a hair more revealing though not as full bodied as 1.08. 1.09 sounds spot on to me. Refined, revealing, textured yet still snappy and full bodied without losing harmonic structure. Thanks guys. I can tell you tweaked hard on this one." -goodvibes

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/questyle-qp1.751140/page-279

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back