Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Oct 5, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #3,106 of 7,140
Hey boys and girls, I'm VERY close to pulling the trigger on a gold QP1R but I wanted to grab a few last minute opinions first.

I'm currently rocking a Sony NW-ZX2 that I only purchased about 6 weeks ago, however some of the glowing feedback about sound quality on the Questyle unit are convincing me to take a loss on selling on the Sony DAP.

As I understand it the biggest difference (SQ wise) is the QP1Rs resolution. Could anyone who's listened to both say whether it's an obvious difference?

The other pluses I can think of are more storage and more power on the QP1R

and the negatives are less battery life, no WIFI for Tidal etc (not really an issue for me as I have a huge catalogue of music) no balanced out (ZX-2 has a partial balanced TRRS) a UI that isn't quite as polished as it could be and last but by no means least.... The wheel!
biggrin.gif

In truth, I think I can live with all of the negatives... If the sound quality is truly a step up. I guess I just want to make sure that everyone who waxes lyrical about this DAP aren't exaggerating it's prowess. I mean that as no insult, but I am acutely aware that people say amazing things about pretty much every DAP on most of the Head-Fi threads. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say.

One last thing I'm curious about is how convenient it is to use the QP1R as a pocketable device? Am I right in thinking you cannot control the volume or forward tracks whilst the screen is off? How do people get on with that?

Cheers all

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #3,107 of 7,140
You can change the volume with the QP1R in your pocket. It works even with the device on 'lock' (screen off). You can also forward tracks in your pocket, but it's very fiddly (turn screen on, hope that you're in the right mode where the forward button advances a track and not a menu option... assuming you can find the forward button as it's a completely smooth surface with no ridges to help you find it).

The user interface (I've written about this before) can be a bit frustrating if you're used to other DAPs. The grouping is pretty basic, so if you select "Genre" and choose one of your genres, ALL of your songs appear (i.e. Genre>Tracks). I would have preferred Genre>Artist>Album>Tracks.

Another consideration is that this is purely a standalone music player. If you're looking for a DAP to stream Spotify/Tidal/GooglePlay etc, then look elsewhere. That said, it functions perfectly well as a USB DAC, so that could be an option...

The above niggles aside (I say niggles as Questyle should be able to update the user interface through a firmware refresh ***QUESTYLE, HINT HINT***), this is a sublime DAP. The clarity is amazing. It's very revealing and opens lots of space between instruments. Nothing appears to be overemphasised - highs, mids and lows all appear to be very well balanced. If you wanted to be really critical, you could say it's a little clinical and lacking a bit of warmth, but I'd take the clarity thank you very much! 

I've absolutely no regrets whatsoever getting (and keeping!) the QP1R. My Fiio X7 is now up for sale if anyone is interested (mint condition).

*** One small thing to bear in mind. The USB charging slot is recessed. Most USB cables won't fit so bear that in mind! I'm still trying to find a replacement USB cable in the UK that fits. Lots of good karma to anyone who can suggest a few options to me :):):)***

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:54 AM Post #3,108 of 7,140
  You can change the volume with the QP1R in your pocket. It works even with the device on 'lock' (screen off). You can also forward tracks in your pocket, but it's very fiddly (turn screen on, hope that you're in the right mode where the forward button advances a track and not a menu option... assuming you can find the forward button as it's a completely smooth surface with no ridges to help you find it).

The user interface (I've written about this before) can be a bit frustrating if you're used to other DAPs. The grouping is pretty basic, so if you select "Genre" and choose one of your genres, ALL of your songs appear (i.e. Genre>Tracks). I would have preferred Genre>Artist>Album>Tracks.

Another consideration is that this is purely a standalone music player. If you're looking for a DAP to stream Spotify/Tidal/GooglePlay etc, then look elsewhere. That said, it functions perfectly well as a USB DAC, so that could be an option...

The above niggles aside (I say niggles as Questyle should be able to update the user interface through a firmware refresh ***QUESTYLE, HINT HINT***), this is a sublime DAP. The clarity is amazing. It's very revealing and opens lots of space between instruments. Nothing appears to be overemphasised - highs, mids and lows all appear to be very well balanced. If you wanted to be really critical, you could say it's a little clinical and lacking a bit of warmth, but I'd take the clarity thank you very much! 

I've absolutely no regrets whatsoever getting (and keeping!) the QP1R. My Fiio X7 is now up for sale if anyone is interested (mint condition).

*** One small thing to bear in mind. The USB charging slot is recessed. Most USB cables won't fit so bear that in mind! I'm still trying to find a replacement USB cable in the UK that fits. Lots of good karma to anyone who can suggest a few options to me :):):)***

​Cool, so that's a big thumbs up. Shame about the difficulty with pocket operations but still not a deal breaker.

So essentially NW-ZX2 to QP1R is a good move?

Oct 5, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #3,109 of 7,140

​Cool, so that's a big thumbs up. Shame about the difficulty with pocket operations but still not a deal breaker.

yes just do it
wink_face.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #3,110 of 7,140
Ok, so the next question is... what colour do I go for?

I wanted the Gold one, but everywhere I look the gold one will either cost me slightly more (£749 as opposed to £699) or it will take a lot longer to receive delivery.

Will I be disappointed with the space grey one? I can pick it up tomorrow
biggrin.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3,111 of 7,140

I wanted the Gold one, but everywhere I look the gold one will either cost me slightly more (£749 as opposed to £699) or it will take a lot longer to receive delivery.

Will I be disappointed with the space grey one? I can pick it up tomorrow :D

Have a look at this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/530008/the-eu-deals-thread/1230 that shows a lot of discounts coming up.

I bought from advancedmp3 who are listed as a retailer on the questyle website and got a discount code which appears to work on a long term basis. Do have a look at other sites too. I didn't pay full price obviously

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #3,112 of 7,140
Have a look at this thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/530008/the-eu-deals-thread/1230 that shows a lot of discounts coming up.

I bought from advancedmp3 who are listed as a retailer on the questyle website and got a discount code which appears to work on a long term basis. Do have a look at other sites too. I didn't pay full price obviously

​Yeah I'm subbed to that thread and I actually just missed out on an open box QP1R that was being sold for less than £500. Gutted!

I'm just being impatient and can't be bothered to wait. I want one NOW! lol

Do you have the gold or the grey?

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #3,113 of 7,140

Will I be disappointed with the space grey one? I can pick it up tomorrow :D

I could be wrong but the gold one is the 'reference' version. It's the one I've got. And there are better insides and the sound is meant to be better than the 'standard' (silver) version. Which, incidentally, came out after the gold version (or so i understand).

Oct 5, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #3,114 of 7,140
I could be wrong but the gold one is the 'reference' version. It's the one I've got. And there are better insides and the sound is meant to be better than the 'standard' (silver) version. Which, incidentally, came out after the gold version (or so i understand).

​To the best of my knowledge the QP1R (reference version, as opposed to the QP1) comes in both Champagne gold and space grey.

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:30 PM Post #3,117 of 7,140

Will I be disappointed with the space grey one? I can pick it up tomorrow
biggrin.gif

To save yourself 50£ and listening to the best sounding DAP (below 1000 £ )  by tomorrow evening sounds like a win-win situation to me !
L3000.gif

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #3,118 of 7,140

Certainly for my tastes it would be. Found the ZX2 similar to the ARs, bit warm and cosy. The QP1R is explicit and exciting, like real live music. Some people want a softer presentation that admittedly helps poorly recorded tracks. The QP1R tells it how it is. If you fancy that, go for it!

Oct 5, 2016 at 2:49 PM Post #3,119 of 7,140
To save yourself 50£ and listening to the best sounding DAP (below 1000 £ )  by tomorrow evening sounds like a win-win situation to me !:L3000:

Well when you put it like that :D

Oct 5, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #3,120 of 7,140
Certainly for my tastes it would be. Found the ZX2 similar to the ARs, bit warm and cosy. The QP1R is explicit and exciting, like real live music. Some people want a softer presentation that admittedly helps poorly recorded tracks. The QP1R tells it how it is. If you fancy that, go for it!

Thanks Andrew. It sounds like something I'd like

Users who are viewing this thread

Back