Review: Questyle Audio QP1R - With Multiple Headphone and IEM Pairings
Oct 2, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #3,076 of 7,140
DecentLevi - Since you don't live too far away, ordering a QP1R at The Source AV in Torrance, CA, should garner you fast receiving results.

Tell TSAVJason I said to treat you well or he knows what will happen at the SF Meet again! Haha, I jest. Jason will take care of you and have your product sent, pronto!

Oct 2, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #3,077 of 7,140
Thanks I'll check out the first post some more. $900 sounds better than $1,400, and there's even some for almost $1,600 on eBay
That's just crazy at $1600 but it does sound better than some that cost that much and more IMHO.

Oct 2, 2016 at 7:22 PM Post #3,078 of 7,140
I got mine from The Source AV and they are great, make sure to get a wheel cover or two they are free and also the Questyle case is expensive but excellent quality and fit. The DAC function is a great addition. The amp always exhibits a clean and dynamic sound. It is a great sounding product and scales well. Good to have you aboard DecentLevi!

Oct 2, 2016 at 9:26 PM Post #3,079 of 7,140
Thanks guys, I'm just looking into it and will probably be a few weeks until I get it.

Also Moe, a question about your comparisons in section S12 - S13 with the QP1R and Mojo. Was that a comparison of the DAC + amp of the Mojo, versus the DAC of the Mojo with the amp of the QP1R, or a comparison of each unit separately? (of course using an external source for the Mojo). I was looking for DAC comparisons of each.

Also I have you to thank for my RHA S500 - they sound pretty sweet / detailed for a small earphone.

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #3,080 of 7,140
DecentLevi - I currently compared the Mojo connected to the QP1R optically and the QP1R on its own - to make my comparisons as fair/streamlined as possible. I compare products based on how most listeners would more than likely connect to them.

Glad you like the RHA S500i. I can bring some new IEMs next time I see you if interested.

Oct 2, 2016 at 11:40 PM Post #3,081 of 7,140
@moedawg140 - Hello,

I am trying to decide between the QP1R and the Acoustic Research M2. You compared both DAPs a year ago (see Q10, S7), remarking that the AR-M2's sound was "competent." I'd hardly call it a ringing endorsement! Do I have the correct impression--the M2's audio quality isn't comparable? Also, you mentioned the M2 had software problems. Have you had a chance to reevaluate the device with newer firmware?

With thanks and best regards,
Brian 

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #3,082 of 7,140
  Hi guys, after auditioning the QP1R on my Beyer. DT-1350 and seeing them 'wake up' better with clarity / dynamics, superb presentation, etc. than any other amp I've tried them on over the years, I've decided this DAP is for me. 

First question, about where to buy. I've seen several on the likes of eBay and other places for around $1,400, but Moon Audio has it for around $900. Would anyone recommend buying it from Moon Audio? I mean with the major price disparity, is there anything lacking like features, or any defects, or is it a sort of clone?

Also somebody of knowledge mentioned about it having noise with IEMs. If this is true, then about how loud is it, and any remedies for it?

Also does anybody have a take on how it performs as a DAC-only vs. other DAC's such as Mojo, Mimby, Gungnir, etc.? Probably @moedawg140 knows something too...

Not sure if you have tried Sony ZX2 which hisses like a snake. If you could stand this lvl of hiss then QP1R is even less so. 
Moon Audio is the correct choice for anyone living in US.

Oct 3, 2016 at 1:42 AM Post #3,083 of 7,140
  @moedawg140 - Hello,

I am trying to decide between the QP1R and the Acoustic Research M2. You compared both DAPs a year ago (see Q10, S7), remarking that the AR-M2's sound was "competent." I'd hardly call it a ringing endorsement! Do I have the correct impression--the M2's audio quality isn't comparable? Also, you mentioned the M2 had software problems. Have you had a chance to reevaluate the device with newer firmware?

With thanks and best regards,
Brian 

Hi Brian,

The only DAP that I've listened to thus far that has comparable sound quality to the QP1R is the AK380 Copper.

I haven't listened to the most up-to-date M2, but maybe I can get a hold of one to compare at RMAF this week.  If so, I'll update the thread with my findings.

What are you valuing the most with regards to your next DAP? Sound quality?  Internet/TIDAL access?

Oct 3, 2016 at 2:01 AM Post #3,084 of 7,140
Hi Brian,

The only DAP that I've listened to thus far that has comparable sound quality to the QP1R is the AK380 Copper.

I haven't listened to the most up-to-date M2, but maybe I can get a hold of one to compare at RMAF this week.  If so, I'll update the thread with my findings.

What are you valuing the most with regards to your next DAP? Sound quality?  Internet/TIDAL access?
yes only the ak380cu can compete with the qp1r

Oct 3, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,085 of 7,140
Always reassuring to read that you can buy a comparable DAP for $3999

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:02 PM Post #3,088 of 7,140
I've got my QP1R up for sale if anyone is interested.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:05 PM Post #3,089 of 7,140
Recently become a great believer in synergy for DAPs and iems. Like early days of hi-fi!

Hugo and Mojo pair fantastically with open explicit iems like 1plus2s and my new Katana's. QP1r nice and exciting itself, has paired so well with midcentric slightly warm 846s that I've rarely tried others. Did try ie800s, but lacked the midrange that 846s pair with the Questyle.

So without high expectations, just trying Noble Katana's with their sharp cutting treble with the equally explicit QP1R, shouldn't be ideal match I would have thought. I hate rolled off treble and darker smooth sounds, but this may be too much of a good thing?

Only two albums in, both hi-res (not that that's always a good thing), but Eric Clapton's live album 'Just One Night' and Muse's 'The 2nd Coming' both sounding pretty special.

Oct 3, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #3,090 of 7,140
It sounds really good with EE Zues also so much that I had to make myself stop listening to them or my wallet was going to take a big hit along with the one I would've got upside me head by the wife ; )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back