REVIEW: PSB Imagine mini Speakers
Oct 20, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #76 of 149

Quote:
That's interesting.  Thanks for the insight.  Are you certain they were banana plugs and not pins on the speaker end?  It seems a banana connection through the side of the post as you say would only have a partial surface area mated to the post vs. a traditional insertion through the binding post's rear holes.

Steve  - any comments on this approach?  Did you notice this possibility during your review?

Good point - they said it was banana plugs, and they picked them up and showed me how they were inserted, but they had the screw knobs tightened back on and I couldn't see the pins themselves.  With the knob tightened the cable was held in place pretty firmly.

Oct 22, 2011 at 5:53 AM Post #77 of 149
I want those speakers. They look so awesome.

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #78 of 149
Larry, if you're still following this thread, did you get your Imagine minis set up at home yet?  How are you liking them?

Oct 25, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #79 of 149

Quote:
Larry, if you're still following this thread, did you get your Imagine minis set up at home yet?  How are you liking them?

I have been absolutely wiped out after RMAF, exacerbated by having been off of one of my meds due to a drug interaction, so I haven't unpacked anything from RMAF yet.  Hoping that as I get back into my routine and re-start my medication that I'll pick up the energy to get started with setting up everything at home. 

I'll start by trying the PSB in my bedroom on top of my Polk SDA CRS speakers, paired with my 55-watt Yamaha receiver and Velodyne subwoofer.  I can easily swap the banana plugs back and forth.  

The plan is that they'll eventually be hooked up to my Marantz 2240 receiver in the basement.  My good banana plug cables wont fit the Marantz or my cheap Sony speakers, and I can't use spades either, so I've been using lamp cord with. I'll need to attach some banana plugs to one end of the lamp cord that I'm using for the time being.

Oct 25, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #80 of 149
What size stands does PSB recommend for these (assuming user will be in a normal chair/couch sitting position)?

28" or 24"?

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #81 of 149
So, I set up the PSB Imagine Mine spealers on top of my Polk SDA CRS speaker (next to my Velodyne Deco satellites), about 5 feet off the ground and connected to my Yamaha 55-watt receiver, just to try out before moving them to my basement rig with the 40-watt Marantz.

The PSB sound every bit as good as I recall at RMAF, and the imaging and soundstage are wonderful.  Transparency is great and I could see myself listening to these a lot.  Even without my Velodyne Deco subwoofer the sound is full with good impact, but switching on the sub does a nice job filling in that last octave.  (using 2-channel and then 2.1 mode on the receiver)

Incidentally, the Velodyne Deco 2-way satellites that came with the sub don't compare at all with the PSB, with the Velodyne being more mid-centric and rolled off in the bass and treble.  The PSB are just on a whole new level above the Velodyne satellites.  The Velodyne also don't image/stage as well as the PSB or the Polk, so I usually don't use them as my main front speakers in 5.1 mode or in stereo mode, although I do use three of the five satellites for the center and rear channels with the Polk SDA as my L and R front speakers.

Oct 26, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #82 of 149

Quote:
So, I set up the PSB Imagine Mine spealers on top of my Polk SDA CRS speaker (next to my Velodyne Deco satellites), about 5 feet off the ground and connected to my Yamaha 55-watt receiver, just to try out before moving them to my basement rig with the 40-watt Marantz.

The PSB sound every bit as good as I recall at RMAF, and the imaging and soundstage are wonderful.  Transparency is great and I could see myself listening to these a lot.  Even without my Velodyne Deco subwoofer the sound is full with good impact, but switching on the sub does a nice job filling in that last octave.  (using 2-channel and then 2.1 mode on the receiver)

Incidentally, the Velodyne Deco 2-way satellites that came with the sub don't compare at all with the PSB, with the Velodyne being more mid-centric and rolled off in the bass and treble.  The PSB are just on a whole new level above the Velodyne satellites.  The Velodyne also don't image/stage as well as the PSB or the Polk, so I usually don't use them as my main front speakers in 5.1 mode or in stereo mode, although I do use three of the five satellites for the center and rear channels with the Polk SDA as my L and R front speakers.

Very cool.  I'm glad they sound as good at home as they did at the show.  I'm still pondering getting a pair; the only reason I didn't get them at the show is because I already have two pairs of good speakers, and so haven't been able to justify it to myself.

(Also, I just spent all my liquidity saving my dog, but that's another story.  Glad I did it actually, but not glad that I had to.)

Oct 26, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #83 of 149

Quote:
So, I set up the PSB Imagine Mine spealers on top of my Polk SDA CRS speaker, about 5 feet off the ground 

5 feet???!!!  How, on earth, do you listen - standing up?

What size stands were they on at the RMAF demo?

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:39 PM Post #84 of 149

Quote:
5 feet???!!!  How, on earth, do you listen - standing up?

What size stands were they on at the RMAF demo?

I think there were about desk height, 30 inches maybe?

Oct 26, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #85 of 149
Tweeters should be approximately at ear level, as a rough guide in selecting stands.  In my listening room with my speakers, 28" stands are perfect.  A few inches isn't going to make a huge difference and especially not with speakers that are point source.

Oct 28, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #87 of 149

Quote:
What amp/dac would adequately drive these babies? (Currently using Compass)

They are pretty low efficiency, only 87 dB at 1 meter.  I'd say 40 watts or so would be about right for a mid sized room.  The official power range says "10-80 watts".

Oct 30, 2011 at 1:22 AM Post #89 of 149
The stands I have in the basement for them are about 30" high, and soon they'll end up down there.  

I'm listening right now sitting up in bed, and my mattress is over 24" off the ground, so the 5 foot high in the bedroom is not too high for the PSB.  The polk are about 4 feet off the ground, and my primary bedroom speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back