REVIEW: PSB Imagine mini Speakers
Oct 5, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #47 of 149

Quote:
Thanks Steve. Looking forward to more of your head-fi centered articles.

I wonder how these compare to the Swan M200MKIII.

If the Swan M200Mk2 are any indication, the PSB model Steve reviewed is several leagues above them.  I owed the mk2s and my Image B25 are several notches above them.

Oct 5, 2011 at 9:32 PM Post #48 of 149
Holy Smokes! I am shocked to come to Head-fi today and find a speaker review. I was under the impression that the whole topic was frowned upon, if not outright forbidden here.

I guess now though I can finally admit to having been a speaker user. As a youngster I did of course use headphones, but when I got to college I started hearing speakers at a few parties and one thing eventually lead to another and before I knew what hit me, I had a pair of speakers of my own.

I started out small with a pair of Minimus 7's hoping nobody would notice but then moved on to harder stuff with 8 inch woofers. Well I'm sure you know how the rest goes, but eventually I found my way to Head-fi and now own several pairs of headphones once again.

So, unless this is some kind diabolical test, it seems OK to get a few speakers then - as long as they are of the smaller variety, or at the least placed within a few feet of the ears preferably to either side to better emulate headphones?

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #50 of 149
Anyone have any idea if RWA Sig. 30.2 would drive these properly or does it need more watts?

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #51 of 149
I used to have Paradigm Titans sitting on my desk, powered, by all things, an Audiovalve RKV MKII (I don't listen that loud, with anything). I miss it as the result was fantastic. I'm very tempted to get a Leben and some kind of desk-worthy speakers again.

HeadRoom did try very hard pushing combined near-field desk rigs alongside headphone gear, but it didn't take off well unfortunately.

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #53 of 149
First off, you got the cutest kid modeling your headphones.

Second off, you think the Leben can push the PSB's adequately? I have a friend in the military over there and could probably pick one up for a good price but I'm still trying to see if it is worth it for speakers. I would really love the Leben for my LCD2's but would I need more efficient speakers for this to work out?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
I used to have Paradigm Titans sitting on my desk, powered, by all things, an Audiovalve RKV MKII (I don't listen that loud, with anything). I miss it as the result was fantastic. I'm very tempted to get a Leben and some kind of desk-worthy speakers again.

HeadRoom did try very hard pushing combined near-field desk rigs alongside headphone gear, but it didn't take off well unfortunately.

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:34 AM Post #58 of 149

Quote:
I want some speakers for 150 bucks but I literally don't know anything about speakers. I looking for a good speaker forum so I can read them.

You could try forums like Audiocircle, AVS, or Audio Asylum. Or just ask in the speaker forum here, a few of us at least are pretty well versed on that subject. For that amount of money, your best bet is probably a used buy on Audiogon. The pair of $120 Monitor Audio BR1s there right now for example would probably crush anything you could buy new for that price.

Oct 10, 2011 at 5:58 AM Post #59 of 149

Quote:
You could try forums like Audiocircle, AVS, or Audio Asylum. Or just ask in the speaker forum here, a few of us at least are pretty well versed on that subject. For that amount of money, your best bet is probably a used buy on Audiogon. The pair of $120 Monitor Audio BR1s there right now for example would probably crush anything you could buy new for that price.

Sorry for being such a noob, Do those speakers need a separate amp??

and another noobie question, can powerful headphone amps/DACs be used as an speaker amp??

and the speakers I was gonna get (with a bit of research from AVS and Head-fi) was the Swan M10 or the M Audio AV40 (because they apparently sound good and they've got internal amps, etc). How are they?? And compared to the Monitor Audio??

thanks

Oct 10, 2011 at 6:34 AM Post #60 of 149

Quote:
Sorry for being such a noob, Do those speakers need a separate amp??

and another noobie question, can powerful headphone amps/DACs be used as an speaker amp??

and the speakers I was gonna get (with a bit of research from AVS and Head-fi) was the Swan M10 or the M Audio AV40 (because they apparently sound good and they've got internal amps, etc). How are they?? And compared to the Monitor Audio??

thanks

Yes. No. Those speakers are OK, but I would suggest the Swan D1010 IV, or if you can stretch your budget to $180 the D1080. Both are available from the Audio Insider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back