REVIEW: PSB Imagine mini Speakers
Oct 3, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #17 of 149
Thanks for making me feel welcome! Powered desktop speakers are more cost effective, but their internal amps aren't in the league of the Jolida. For now at least the Mini Maggies are the ones to beat for desktop speakers, but they're double the price of the PSB, and they'll need a lot bigger amp than the Jolida to sing.
smile.gif

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #18 of 149
So far  there has been not a lot of info on exactly what amps might work well with the mini Maggies.   Hopefully there will be more info soon.  I find myself doing more and more listening while using my desktop and I seriously want a high end desktop rig.  Maybe there is a good integrated combo for the maggies and the LCD's.  That would be close to heaven...

Oct 3, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #19 of 149
Have you auditioned the Anthony Gallo Stradas? I think they perfect the nearfield monitor philosophy. I don't think traditional monitors can match them in the nearfield application due to cabinet design. Although to be fair the Stradas cost well over 2x the PSB Minis, I thought the difference was justified.

And IMHO the Mini Maggies are blasphemy to the bipole planar Magnepan tradition!

Oct 4, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #20 of 149
I really don't understand or see the point of the PSB Imagine Mini's
They have the PSB B4 for a smaller PSB bookself.

Bookself speakers are already small.

5-11/16"W x 9-3/8"H x 8-1/4"D  Minis

7-1/2"W x 12-15/16"H x 12-1/8"D Regular Imagine line

A couple inches smaller really doesn't make much difference to me.

PSB also just recently increased the prices of their speakers $50-$100 more on a lot of them
$30-50 on others.
At the top line $200 more.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #22 of 149
Welcome Steve. Any chance you'd consider doing a round up or something of entry studio monitors? (Alesis, KRK, Behringer, Tannoy etc). I'm currently using a pair of KRK Rokit 6 G2s, controlled with a simple passive preamp. In the past I've had pretty mixed results with passive speakers that weren't designed for near-field use on the desktop.

Oct 4, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #23 of 149

Quote:
And IMHO the Mini Maggies are blasphemy to the bipole planar Magnepan tradition!

I know what you mean!  But apparently they worked real hard at making these and have phased them to work well in this regard and did not set them into the market until they thought it worked and could properly represent the maggie tradition.  Now if they would just lower the price. A lot! Or send me a pair to review!

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:25 AM Post #26 of 149
Quote:
So far  there has been not a lot of info on exactly what amps might work well with the mini Maggies.   Hopefully there will be more info soon.  I find myself doing more and more listening while using my desktop and I seriously want a high end desktop rig.  Maybe there is a good integrated combo for the maggies and the LCD's.  That would be close to heaven...

x2, too bad i still gotta get them darn LCD-2's
angry_face.gif

Oct 4, 2011 at 6:36 AM Post #27 of 149

Quote:
x2, too bad i still gotta get them darn LCD-2's
angry_face.gif

Haha, come RMAF this year, you mait be looking at some nice Audeze monitors too :wink:

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:02 AM Post #28 of 149
I love the Gallo Stradas, but I never heard them used as nearfield monitors. Nearfield speakers have to create a seamless blend between treble and woofer at a much closer distance than regular speakers. I don't know if the Stradas do that.

Oct 4, 2011 at 7:12 AM Post #29 of 149

Quote:
I love the Gallo Stradas, but I never heard them used as nearfield monitors. Nearfield speakers have to create a seamless blend between treble and woofer at a much closer distance than regular speakers. I don't know if the Stradas do that.

Steve, what do you think about the idea of using concentric speakers like the KEF XQ10 as nearfield monitors? I haven't tried them, but in theory shouldn't that produce better results than a traditional arrangement?

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #30 of 149
First off, I want to say thank you Steve for the great articles and reviews that you have written. I find your articles to be very direct and easy to understand even for the audiophile laymen, that being me.

Second, I was wondering your personal recommendation for two speakers that you have reviewed that I am interested in. One being the PSB that you reviewed here at head-fi and the other being the Mini Maggies that you have reviewed in another publication.

I have a very eclectic taste in music that ranges from Classical to Hip-Hop but recently it has been kind of been more focused into Jazz. Which of the two speakers would you recommend for my tastes, price withstanding. I value imaging and accuracy with a focus on mids. I will be running a dacmini to a Jolida 1501rc. Thanks in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back