Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 28, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #3,167 of 3,234
Quote:
I've been coming back to this thread for about 3 months now but I'm still a tad lost - what would you guys recommend for the SM3?

umm, perhaps posting them in the 'for sale' forum... 
evil_smiley.gif

seriously though, you might be better off perusing sm3 threads as it's quite possible this (more appropriately) has been addressed there, and if not try asking over there. else pick a decent amp and see what happens.

Jan 28, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #3,168 of 3,234

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
i never tried the mini3, but it's generally been regarded as a good value.  more importantly mr mcprogger, are you ready for the nearfest patron lottery?
biggrin.gif

I dont get it 
confused_face.gif

what I meant was, in a scale between the commercial amps, lets say the iBasso line, where would the mini3 be positioned?
edit: OK i get it now, but i am too far away to attend Nearfest :frowning2:

hmmm, generally my sense of geography is pretty good, but i'm not too sure where 'nauticus' is supposed to be (you're not in norfolk, va, are you?). how far is too far? my friend comes in from japan almost every year for nearfest. people come all over the usa and other countries too to attend this festival, which is generally considered the pre-eminent prog festival out there. you should try and attend some time!
smile.gif

i can't tell you where the mini3 fits relative to the ibasso line. perhaps some other folks (mrarroyo?) might have some experience with this.

South America. and as for nauticus try looking in "Pain of Salvation" 
beyersmile.png

And its the work keeping me away from such stuff :frowning2:

Jan 28, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #3,169 of 3,234

Quote:
the hornet is a a warmish amp, with the pre/non M versions being somewhat warmer. some folks prefer that version of the amp, but they can be a bit harder to find. i don't think it's bright up top. it's been around long enough now that buying used is fairly reasonable and if you decided to give something else a try your wallet would not take (much of) a hit reselling it.

I will have a look at the FS threads and see if there is anych chance of getting it used. What do  you think about the list I put together? Pico, D4 and P-51. D4 is a really tempting choice as for much less money I would get a DAC too.

Jan 29, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #3,170 of 3,234
Quote:
Quote:
the hornet is a a warmish amp, with the pre/non M versions being somewhat warmer. some folks prefer that version of the amp, but they can be a bit harder to find. i don't think it's bright up top. it's been around long enough now that buying used is fairly reasonable and if you decided to give something else a try your wallet would not take (much of) a hit reselling it.

I will have a look at the FS threads and see if there is anych chance of getting it used. What do  you think about the list I put together? Pico, D4 and P-51. D4 is a really tempting choice as for much less money I would get a DAC too.

i haven't played w/ a d4, but i have had a p51 (nice amp. typical rsa sound - a bit on the warmish side. probalby more extended that the hornet, which may make it seem brighter) and while i haven't owned a pico, i do have a pico slim & two other head-amp products.  his units tend to be very clean but i wouldn't generally call them particularly warm sounding. they're not sterile but perhaps leaner than an rsa unit.
hpa probably has played with all the units in question so he may some insights into those comparisons.

Jan 29, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #3,171 of 3,234
I would describe the stock D4 as 'warm', at least compared to a Chinese-made DAC/amp I previously paid $500 for and had far less enjoyment from. The difficulty lies in determining whether its warm or simply transparent enough to render your warm source - either way, I prefer this to the cold, sterile 24/192 upsampling of the old DAC/amp.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:04 PM Post #3,172 of 3,234
I am currently using DT770 250 (may switch to 600 ohm or Denon D2000) and I am looking for an amp that meets these specs:

Tiny
Silent
Rechargeable
USB-DAC
Can be charged by USB and still use the USB DAC or line out (like iBasso)

I thought it would be better to post in here rather than creating a new thread. So any suggestions? I was looking at the DIY kit offered by Meier since they make silent amps, and it was tiny. But I don't know if its rechargeable. I really like the iBasso D4 but I kinda want something smaller. I am open to DIY. Thanks in advance.

Jan 30, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #3,173 of 3,234
Whenever you want power in a smaller form factor, it usually has a sharp upward effect on the price you will have to pay - what is your budget ?

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:43 AM Post #3,174 of 3,234
Sounds like you are already aware of the Ibasso amps, the others that I can think of that may meet those criteria that are smaller than the D4 may be RSA Predator and Pico Dac/Amp.  Any time you are trying to go down in size to that extreme, you are going to risk not having sufficient power to drive those full size and high impedance cans not to say like Estreeter suggests price will go way up also.  You best bet right now are the Ibasso D6 and D12 in terms of price to performance ratio. 

Jan 30, 2011 at 4:41 PM Post #3,176 of 3,234
Then looks like the D6 will be you best bet at $275.00.  Unfortunately the amp is too new to be found in the FS forum, otherwise it will be even less.

Jan 31, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #3,177 of 3,234
Its all relative, but I dont think I would describe the D4/D6 form factor as 'tiny', which is what he originally wanted. When you start to look at devices like the Pico Slim or the RSA Shadow, $300 just isnt going to cut it unless you can find a very good deal in FS.

Jan 31, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #3,178 of 3,234
Even if he can find Pico Slim of Shadow below $300.00, they are not Dac/Amp and so will not meet his criteria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back