Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Dec 11, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #2,956 of 3,234
Sure looks the same, but I can't say for sure since I haven't had the Lisa III in quite a while.

Dec 11, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #2,957 of 3,234
@Skylab, this will be the way to end your Portable Round-up.  With a Shoot-out!  Should be epic...

Thank you!!

Quote:

I am going to compare it to the RSA SR71B next week, and compare the two of them again to the Meier Stepdance, which in a kind of cool way will mean I will end my portable amp review monster with a face-off of true top-tier performers.  Lucky me!

Dec 12, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #2,959 of 3,234

Quote:
Thanks man!Oh and just a clarification, since someone else asked - I'm still planning to write lots of reviews on head-fi! Just not portable amps
wink.gif

First, with regard to the final shoot out, please please please make sure Ray or someone send you an adaptor so you can use balance source on the SR71B for that is what the SR71B is meant for.  Otherwise, it will defeat the purpose of the SR71B.  Please don't have another Toucon like review though I don't mind to hear your thoughts on the SE input but the balance in are the main concern as I believe that's the case for many others here.  

Second, in your L3 review you didn't mention about how long the L3 has been used (or burn-in), even though some of us here don't care about burn-in, it will be nice to know for those of us that believe in it especially for the SR71B.

Third, I respect your decision of not doing any further portable amp review based on personal preference, but you are the resident authority on portable amp and with your vast experience on portable amp review it is a big lost to most of us that are interested in good portable amps.  I don't know how many newbies you have helped because of this thread.  I can understand the reason you stated  for all the average portable amps but would you care to leave a small reservation for some future breakthrough products that may compete with or even best the top tier amps in your listing?   A man can never say never, right?  Certainly you are not obligated to us, it is us that owe you a big thanks.

Dec 12, 2010 at 4:08 PM Post #2,960 of 3,234
Ray did include a cable to use the SR71B with a balanced source, and I have a balanced DAC, so that's all good.

the L3 was very well traveled before I got it, so fully burned in.

And of course I will never say never, especially for really exciting/breakthrough type products. But I'm not going to review another dozen amps a year :wink:

Thanks for the kind words, also :)

Dec 13, 2010 at 1:01 PM Post #2,961 of 3,234
Skylab, 

Can you speak to the power of the L3, and its ability to drive difficult to drive headphones? Sufficient to power HE-5LEs? I am guessing not sufficient for the HE-6s, (and the ability of the SR71B to do this is a pretty great testament to this portable amp).

Dec 13, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #2,962 of 3,234
I didn't have the HE-5LE's anymore to try.  And no, not enough for HE-6, but plenty for the LCD-2.  Hope that helps.

Dec 13, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #2,963 of 3,234
Rob, I know you have had a thousand variations on this question, but I find it interesting that we now have several headphones which are harder to drive than the K701, but I can get a good deal on said headphone - sufficiently good to consider purchasing it *if* I can amp the thing. I know its not about volume, its about air - including the transportables, would you be able to list the amps which you feel could push the 701 to 85-90% of its potential (or anything in that ballpark) ?  If you think its a fools errand, please say so - better to be a fool with money in his wallet than a fool with another 'almost good enough' portable amp.

For the sake of argument, 100% would be the best fullsize amp you've heard :)

Thanks,

estreeter

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #2,964 of 3,234
I'm not the right person to answer that question - haven't owned the K701 in years.  Sorry!

Dec 13, 2010 at 6:04 PM Post #2,965 of 3,234

[size=medium]
estreeter,

From what I have read, the Toucan could probably get close on a budget, as it has more voltage swing peak to peak (26.2v in balanced mode) than a lot of home amps. $229.

Of course, the SR-71B has an even higher power output (around 30v p-p) and probably an even better sound. I listened to it driving the HE-6s well, with plenty of air. I am pretty much a noob as far as what the HE-6 can sound like, but I would say it was at least as good as HiFiman's own EF5 desktop amp. $600 preorder.

Of course, the K701 is notoriously hard to drive and have synergy. These are just amps that will definitely get the job done power wise. They are both balanced, and single ended only provides half the power, so take that into account.

Just a few suggestions to get you going.
[/size]

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #2,966 of 3,234
Thanks guys - I believe that the P4 has also had good reviews re power output, but the other options seem to include the cost of going balanced - somewhat negates any cost savings I might make initially. If the reality is that the Corda Concerto, or similar, is the minimum for the K701 singled-ended, then I may as well accept that upfront.

Dec 13, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #2,967 of 3,234
Look around an ask some people that have used the balanced portables. They get pretty good reviews. They will always have compromises, but it looks like portables are getting a little closer to desktop amps. 

I would definitely go to a meet and see what you can find out from listening and asking, especially before you spend hundreds of dollars. I am sure you know this, but the difference between different dollar levels of components are often overstated to get the point across and you may find something you like that doesn't break the bank. 

As for the deal on the K701s, I would snatch it up if you want it. I have let too many deals slip through my fingers by stupidity. Sure, you can always find deals on stuff, it just might be a very long time. As it is always said, gear brings in pretty good prices in the for sale forums here if you don't like something.

Dec 14, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #2,968 of 3,234
hey skylab, i'm looking forward to the shoot-out, should be awesome! i do have one question though, will the toucan be included in it's balanced form? i'm not sure if you saw, but ibasso has some xlr to hirose adapter cables on their site now, and they're not too pricey. i mean you probably don't want to pay for cables just to do a review... but maybe they will come in handy some day for future ibasso balanced amps or something. either way thanks for all your hard work over the years, it's been a pleasure reading!

Dec 14, 2010 at 7:49 AM Post #2,969 of 3,234

Quote:
hey skylab, i'm looking forward to the shoot-out, should be awesome! i do have one question though, will the toucan be included in it's balanced form? i'm not sure if you saw, but ibasso has some xlr to hirose adapter cables on their site now, and they're not too pricey. i mean you probably don't want to pay for cables just to do a review... but maybe they will come in handy some day for future ibasso balanced amps or something. either way thanks for all your hard work over the years, it's been a pleasure reading!

X2.

I think Skylab mentioned he borrowed a head-fier's Toucan to do the review. Maybe that person will be generous again. Many people say this amp can go toe to toe with the top performers. Hack, you rated it tier 3 single ended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back