Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Sep 22, 2007 at 2:31 PM Post #1,231 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you are using it with IEMs, the TH is the way to go.

hey.. since this is the Skylab advice corner..

:)

Can you expand on why?.

I've read Ray's description on his site.. and quite a few reviews/impressions on the forum. But i haven't seen a description of why the TH is a better option that the Hornet for IEM's. All the sound quality related reviews seem to put the Hornet slightly ahead of the TH. I see the nice features that the TH has in terms of smaller size and ridiculously long battery life, but those are trivial tradeoffs for me given the corresponding Hornet attributes (the hornet isn't that much larger, and rechargable batteries are sufficicent for me).

I currently have er4s, ue-11 and hd600's with an old total bithead.

Sep 22, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #1,232 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by freethegeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey.. since this is the Skylab advice corner..

:)

Can you expand on why?.

I've read Ray's description on his site.. and quite a few reviews/impressions on the forum. But i haven't seen a description of why the TH is a better option that the Hornet for IEM's. All the sound quality related reviews seem to put the Hornet slightly ahead of the TH. I see the nice features that the TH has in terms of smaller size and ridiculously long battery life, but those are trivial tradeoffs for me given the corresponding Hornet attributes (the hornet isn't that much larger, and rechargable batteries are sufficicent for me).

I currently have er4s, ue-11 and hd600's with an old total bithead.

IMO those who use IEM's benefit from the Tomahawk over the Hornet in various ways. First with the gain in Low the amp gain is 1. Well a gain of 1 means that the overal volume has not been changed over your source so if you have very efficient IEM's or if you listen to low volumes the volume pot has more room to play before it gets too loud.

Normally the Hornet has a gain of 3 in Low (although Ray can set it at 2 if you ask him). Three for gain may be to loud for very efficient IEM's.

The second benefit is its small size, and the third benefit is its insanely long battery life.
icon10.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:04 PM Post #1,233 of 3,234
What Mrarroyo said
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #1,234 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First with the gain in Low the amp gain is 1. Well a gain of 1 means that the overal volume has not been changed over your source so if you have very efficient IEM's or if you listen to low volumes the volume pot has more room to play before it gets to loud.

Ahhh...

gain...

DOH!..

i remember reading that elsewhere now... dang.. well.. i suppose there will be a good deal on a new Hornet some time soon. When i bail on this and get a Tomahawk.

Wonder if i should stop burning it in.

Sep 22, 2007 at 8:40 PM Post #1,235 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by freethegeek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh...

gain...

DOH!..

i remember reading that elsewhere now... dang.. well.. i suppose there will be a good deal on a new Hornet some time soon. When i bail on this and get a Tomahawk.

Wonder if i should stop burning it in.

I saw you have ER4S, UE10, and HD600. If I may suggest, go to: http://apuresound.com/ and get one of his impedence resistors adaptors in either 75 ohm or 120 ohm to be used mostly with the UE10. It looks like:

01.JPG

Everytime you sell an amp to buy another you loose money. Just food for thought.
biggrin.gif

Sep 23, 2007 at 1:02 PM Post #1,237 of 3,234
No, I have not reviewed a Mini-3.

Sep 23, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #1,240 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry Skylab, don't want to be negative, but do you really consider the Lisa III portable?

Lisa%20III%20Promo%20Pic%201.jpg

How big would a non-portable amp be then?

Are those Sextetts?

Edit: No, I don't think they are. I can't tell if they have silver or gold rings on them, but they don't have that Sextett headband.

Sep 24, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #1,241 of 3,234
I addressed the issue of the Lisa III's size in the review. That unit is bigger than the metal basic Lisa. Still, its big. I added it here because I was asked to. Simple as that.

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:27 AM Post #1,242 of 3,234
First of all thanks so much this thread has been very informative and you know you must be doing something right if the makers of the amps are asking you to review their units, keep up the good work. Second I'm sorry if this has been asked already (63 pages is a lot to filter through), do you have plans to review the Xin Reference? I have one on the way I would just like to see how it stacks up.

Sep 24, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #1,243 of 3,234
I would love to review a Xin Reference. But I don't know if anyone will ever loan me one since so few people have them...

Sep 25, 2007 at 1:21 AM Post #1,244 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would love to review a Xin Reference. But I don't know if anyone will ever loan me one since so few people have them...

Plus most of the ones out there (mine included) are Beta Versions.

Sep 25, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #1,245 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are those Sextetts?

Edit: No, I don't think they are. I can't tell if they have silver or gold rings on them, but they don't have that Sextett headband.

Most girls only have two tetts, anymore than that is just bonus
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back