Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Aug 20, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #1,141 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am happy to report that iBasso has graciously agreed to loan me a D1 for review
smily_headphones1.gif

My bet is they monitor this thread
biggrin.gif

Aug 21, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #1,144 of 3,234
For an alternate take on the Practical Devices XM4, my review of it is now up over at StereoMojo: http://www.stereomojo.com/PracticalD...eamplifier.htm

Sonically, I found the XM4 inferior to the Xenos 1HA-EPC and RSA Hornet M. I'd take it in a heartbeat over the Go-Vibe V6 though. I don't think the V6 is that great-sounding of an amp. In comparison to the iBasso T2, well I can't say anything right now. A review of that will be coming very soon...

Aug 22, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #1,145 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For an alternate take on the Practical Devices XM4, my review of it is now up over at StereoMojo: http://www.stereomojo.com/PracticalD...eamplifier.htm

Sonically, I found the XM4 inferior to the Xenos 1HA-EPC and RSA Hornet M. I'd take it in a heartbeat over the Go-Vibe V6 though. I don't think the V6 is that great-sounding of an amp. In comparison to the iBasso T2, well I can't say anything right now. A review of that will be coming very soon...

The XM4 responds well to OP-Amp rolling. The 8620 comes to mind as a better alternative to the 2134 the XM4 arrives with.

Aug 22, 2007 at 1:18 AM Post #1,146 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The XM4 responds well to OP-Amp rolling. The 8620 comes to mind as a better alternative to the 2134 the XM4 arrives with.

You must have reviewed many headphones over the years, with regard to op-amp rolling, it there a combination of op-amps for ANY design that works well or it depends on the design. Eg is

1. In case of a single op-amp version what op-amp would be suitable other than 2134 or 2132. Is 823(dual) the most suitable, has any tried 825(single) or even 627 or 637, these may not work well under low voltage battery?
any comments? the 825 or 627 must be biased in class A to work well.

2. In case of buffered version what combination works well. Any comments?

Aug 23, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #1,148 of 3,234
Has is been released?

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #1,151 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttan98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must have reviewed many headphones over the years, with regard to op-amp rolling, it there a combination of op-amps for ANY design that works well or it depends on the design. Eg is

1. In case of a single op-amp version what op-amp would be suitable other than 2134 or 2132. Is 823(dual) the most suitable, has any tried 825(single) or even 627 or 637, these may not work well under low voltage battery?
any comments? the 825 or 627 must be biased in class A to work well.

2. In case of buffered version what combination works well. Any comments?

I have found, in general, that changes in sound signature as a result of opamp rolling have been subtle, with some sounding better in one amp and some better in another. The "better" part really depends more on listener preference rather than an absolute, measurable change.

I do find that opamps with very low voltage noise levels and accurate square-wave response as depicted on the data sheets invariably sound better to me, so I tend to try those first. Unfortunately, data sheet specifications do not always guarantee how good or bad the device will sound when installed as a part of the whole circuit.

It has been my experience that certain opamps often seem to be synergistic with certain amps, it is, however, sometimes difficult and time-consuming to find that "right" combination!

Often differing technical parameters such as voltage, pin configuration, basing, etc. preclude using an opamp that sounds great in one particular amp to installation in a different amp. The choice of opamp (or tube) is ultimately one of making compromises in one or more of many different areas of performance.

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:40 PM Post #1,152 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by ttan98 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Skylab,

would like to comment on my response to Mrarroyo? You have lots of experienced with headamp as well.

thanks.

Ttan98:

I don't like op-amp rolling. I don't like second-guessing designers. I prefer to listen to and review amps with the op-amp they come with. In the case of amps that can be ordered with different amps, I ask the maker which op-amp THEY think sounds best, and that is how I evaluate them.

I know it's a little odd that I enjoy tube-rolling and don't enjoy op-amp rolling, but that's the way it is for me. Maybe it's because scoring cool tubes is, well, cool, while op-amps are pretty dull in and of themselves...

Aug 23, 2007 at 1:47 PM Post #1,153 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ttan98:

I don't like op-amp rolling. I don't like second-guessing designers. I prefer to listen to and review amps with the op-amp they come with. In the case of amps that can be ordered with different amps, I ask the maker which op-amp THEY think sounds best, and that is how I evaluate them.

I know it's a little odd that I enjoy tube-rolling and don't enjoy op-amp rolling, but that's the way it is for me. Maybe it's because scoring cool tubes is, well, cool, while op-amps are pretty dull in and of themselves...

Wow, that's hot! Well, I suppose you let 'em cool down before the swap eh?

Aug 23, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #1,154 of 3,234
LMAO!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back