Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Jan 8, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #106 of 3,234
Excellent comparative study of the amps. Not an easy task and it would drive me nuts after a while. Thank you for the hard work that you appear to have enjoyed and for sharing the results in a very readable form.

Jan 8, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #107 of 3,234
good review. would have liked to see how the go-vibe v5 compares to the rest of the pack when listened to with the elpac psu, but that obviously isn't fair to the other amps listed and would require a lot more testing and such and so forth. Otherwise, thanks for the time and effort put into this
smily_headphones1.gif
Very informative and a great starting point for portable amp purchases who sole use will be with batteries.

Jan 8, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #109 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by inconnu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the nice review. I would only have liked to see the mSEED LABS Faith AMP included in it, besides the XTRA X-1. Perhaps the C&C BOX too...and while I'm at it, the Minibox-E.
biggrin.gif
basshead.gif

I actually wanted to include the mSeed, but I kept losing the EBay auctions
icon10.gif

Maybe I will get one and add it when I add the Xenos 1HA, which seems to have shipped.

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #110 of 3,234
Thanks Skylab for the professional review. I have just received my Tomahawk today and am already quite amazed at its performance. It even drives the HD650s really well - something that I did not expect at all.

BTW, I also enjoy the sound of Jan Meier's amps like yourself.

Thanks again and cheers,
cansman

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #111 of 3,234
very informative , very professional , yet presented in a easy to digest way for those of us that are new to this ummmm addic... hobby :p

look forward to your doing more reviews of amps and/or cans.

a MUST sticky IMO

Jan 10, 2007 at 8:39 PM Post #112 of 3,234
Mr Skyab Sir...

Have you received your replacement X1 yet?

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #113 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrJoshua /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr Skyab Sir...

Have you received your replacement X1 yet?

As of yet, no. But I doubt the defective one has even made it to China yet.

Jan 24, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #117 of 3,234
I have purchased a couple other portable amps since I first published this review, the Xenos 1HA-EPC and the iBasso P-1, and I got my Xtra X-1 repaired unit back. I have run the new amps through the full battery of tests described above. I have added full comments on the X-1. I have not done so on the Xenos or iBasso amps, but will as time permits. I have decided to do an updated rankings. These are all now in the original review post.

EDIT: PLEASE READ THE WHOLE UPDATE before commenting. As I indicate there, since I no longer have the Practical Devices XM4, I could not decide directly between the iBasso and the XM4, so I list them as a TIE.

Jan 24, 2007 at 7:30 PM Post #119 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, #3 and #4 in your list are definite? Would you consider it a close enough tie?? Hmmm...

They are indeed very close, and of course, slightly different. From the Headphonia amp on up, the amps were good enough that I could live with any of them happily. They all produced that "WOW that sounds great" feeling consistantly.

Below that, the amps for me were missing enough that I wasn't impressed enough to say I would be completely satisfied over the long haul.

Jan 24, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #120 of 3,234
I just got a Porta Corda MkIII-USB in the mail today. But it is not on this list.
frown.gif

Great reviews though. I really liked reading them. Maybe you can try to get people to send you portable amps for free just to test them.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back