Review: Portable amp roundup! 56 portable amps reviewed and compared - FINAL update 12-20-10 added RSA SR-71B
Nov 13, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #2,146 of 3,234
Wow, Larry - what an AWESOME post. Well said, and THANK YOU.

I have always asked people to use this just as a starting point, and to also look at the great portable amp reviews written by you, and Miguel, in addition to mine, so get a fuller picture of what is available.

Putting aside the Lisa III, which is awesome but very large for a portable, I do think the iQube and Mustang are currently at the top of the class, and are the amps I personally would want to own, if I were to buy a portable today, and money would be no object. If money were an object, I would still go with the Meier Move. If I needed a DAC, that would also make a difference of course.

Nov 16, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #2,149 of 3,234
At the very, very top of the list, the differences are mighty small. But the Lisa III has a sense of dynamic impact, in addition to all it's other great qualities, that the Mustang and iQube miss by just a whisker.

Nov 16, 2008 at 3:08 PM Post #2,150 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I can tell you that any of the amps Skylab has ranked in the #1-10 place (or even #11 based on other's feedback) are probably fantastic and "good enough". I own a #3, #4, #7 and #8 ranked amp, and have heard the other amps that were tied for #3 and #7. While my preferences in sound may be slightly different, I understand completely how he came up with his rank. Most of them sound extremely good or very good, but some do some things better than others, and few do EVERYTHING right.

I think the 4 amps that Skylab has placed in the #1 and #2 spot (with ties) are kept separate with a blank line from the rest of the amps because they are the ones he feels do just about everything right. But, he hasn't tried every headphones with them, and there will be some that don't sound their best with those amps. So, you may buy an amp high on his list, and not like it and wonder how he could have ranked it so high, or find an amp that is amazing and wonder why he didn't make it #3. I say keep an open mind and don't be afraid to try something elsewhere in the list other than the top, because there may be a synergy with your headphone that brings out the best in the amp.

Larry,

Which headphones and sources do you usually find yourself listening to for your 'good enough' system away from home? And is your 'good enough away from home' rig different from and if so, much worse than, your bedside rig?

Nov 17, 2008 at 12:59 AM Post #2,152 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by jvlgato /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Larry,

Which headphones and sources do you usually find yourself listening to for your 'good enough' system away from home? And is your 'good enough away from home' rig different from and if so, much worse than, your bedside rig?

Lately I have several levels of portable vs bedside rig

1. iPhone 3G without amp directly into Livewires or Klipsch Image X10 or Nuforce NE-7M with mic. This is actually my most used portable rig now, but only since I got the iPhone 2 months ago. iPhone 3G has surprisingly good sounding headphone out jack.

2. 3G 8gb Nano with Predator into any of the IEM above, or with RS-1 or Edition 9 (both with 6 foot APS V3 cable and 1/8" plug). This used to be my most popular portable rig till I got the iPhone 3G, and the Nano leather case is velcro'd and strapped tight to the Predator and difficult to separate. The Nano/Predator stays in my fanny pack in the car or safari vest during the summer, but during the winter lives in the pocket of my polar fleece vest and goes everywhere with me. Soon, the 3G Nano will changed to a 16gb 4G Nano. This is surprisingly close to the iMod rig, but not quite as spacious and transparent (but close).

3. 80gb iPod 5.5G iMod into ALO portable Vcap dock into iBasso D3 (replaced the D2 Viper). The iMod rig is usually for bedside visiting mother-in-laws, or hotels when traveling, or when going to a meet and using it as a spare source. I like the 80gb capacity but don't like the headphone out, so an amp has always been important hence doing the iMod to it. When not traveling the iMod stays in my DLO HomeDock HD with optical digital out into my main rig.

4. Macbook into Predator or iBasso with any of the above headphones when mobile or traveling (or Pico at home when I leave the others in the car). The Macbook is where I use the amps the most, hence only buying DAC/amps since March. I can enjoy this in the bedroom, living room, basement, kitchen, back deck.

The Pico is often used as a home DAC/preamp for my Woo GES and EF1 in the basement/living room rig, and I don't tend to travel with it or use it mobile to keep it safe. It truly serves me well as a high end home DAC/pre-amp, and sounds better with the Stats than my Apogee sometimes. The other portables in my profile also stay at home as backups in case my car is broken into and gear is stolen, as I only tend to use the Predator, iBasso D3 and Pico for Nano, iMod and Macbook.

5. My bedside rig is a little bit better than my portables - Sony D-NE20 PCDP with optical and iRiver H140 optical into Headroom Micro DAC into Travagans Red with AD743 opamps and Black power conditioner. This is a small but noticeable step up from the portables for driving full size headphones like HD600, D2000, RS-1 and Edition 9. If I move the head-Direct EF1 to the bedside it is a formidable and competant rig. Still, any of the portable rigs are very enjoyable and could serve as my bedside rig if need be.

Nov 18, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #2,153 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Update 11-11-08
The Mustang, according to Ray, can deliver more than 2 times the amount of current that a Tomahawk can

How is current related to gain? Will high current increase SQ of low ohm headphones & iem?

Nov 18, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #2,154 of 3,234
hey.. just wondering if someone can help me decide what would be the best amp for using my UM2s with an ipod.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

(Lower price is also better!)

Nov 18, 2008 at 5:30 PM Post #2,155 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by flargosa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How is current related to gain? Will high current increase SQ of low ohm headphones & iem?

Refer to Ohm's law:

I = {V} / {R}

where I is the current in amperes, V is the potential difference in volts,and R is a circuit parameter called the resistance (measured in ohms, also equivalent to volts per ampere).

So for a given voltage, you will get (or require!) more current if the voltage is held constant but the impedance (R, in ohms) is lowered.

Low impedance headphones need more current to achieve the same level of gain (here represented by voltage). If the current is limited, gain can be restricted with low impedance headphones, and sound quality can suffer.

Nov 19, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #2,158 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gberg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey.. just wondering if someone can help me decide what would be the best amp for using my UM2s with an ipod.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

(Lower price is also better!)

There is not a huge difference on the UM2 with or without amplifier. They already sound great.

Nov 19, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #2,159 of 3,234
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Rob, what are you doing responding? Aren't you supposed to be in a trip enjoying life? :)

Yeah, I am only reading/posting on head-fi while I am in airports
wink.gif

And Hello from Oulu, Finland.

Nov 19, 2008 at 7:49 PM Post #2,160 of 3,234
I don't think that low/high current has something to do with low/high impedances.

For me, high current will drain more power from the battery but will deliver more "power" to the amp circuit to drive whichever headphones are being used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back