Review: Pioneer SE-DIR1000C Dolby Headphones
Oct 28, 2003 at 3:16 AM Post #151 of 238
Quote:

Originally posted by A. Dejkorn
Hello,

This is my first post (I've been lurking here for almost a year now). After reading this great review by John Medeiros, I went out and got the XB1. I chose the XB1 because of the color rather the bass. I've had them for a while but only had about 30 hours on them.

I have the same problem as Bonkura. There are some clippings and distortions at high volume (over 3/4). The THX intro, the opening scene of SW II, Blade II, any scene with the deep bass or explosions. I've been playing with the DH settings and clippings/distortions are there. I'm very positive that the batteries were at least 3/4-1/2 full.

I'm not that worried about this problem (yet). At this point, I assume they need some break-in like any other headphones or speakers. I'll give them a variety of diet to break them in for another 30-40 hours. Hopefully they'll get better. If not, I'm still very happy with them.

Thanks for reading

Am

Wow! I wonder if this is a difference between the XB1 and the DIR1000C -- I just haven't had this experience at all, and was under the impression that it couldn't happen with digital input since the maximum digital volume is known well in advance.

Oct 28, 2003 at 5:23 AM Post #154 of 238
Quote:

Originally posted by A. Dejkorn
Hello,

This is my first post (I've been lurking here for almost a year now). After reading this great review by John Medeiros, I went out and got the XB1. I chose the XB1 because of the color rather the bass. I've had them for a while but only had about 30 hours on them.

I have the same problem as Bonkura. There are some clippings and distortions at high volume (over 3/4). The THX intro, the opening scene of SW II, Blade II, any scene with the deep bass or explosions. I've been playing with the DH settings and clippings/distortions are there. I'm very positive that the batteries were at least 3/4-1/2 full.

I'm not that worried about this problem (yet). At this point, I assume they need some break-in like any other headphones or speakers. I'll give them a variety of diet to break them in for another 30-40 hours. Hopefully they'll get better. If not, I'm still very happy with them.

Thanks for reading

Am

I have the xb1 too I'll try blade II then i'll post mine when I'm through and let you know what happens. I'll set my volume to 3/4.

Oct 28, 2003 at 11:37 AM Post #155 of 238
Quote:

Originally posted by Music Fanatic
I am eagerly awaiting reviews of the new Pioneer SE-DIR800C Dolby Digital Surround Headphone. I am surprised that the price difference between the 800C and the 1000C isn't bigger.

Uh-oh <wallet cringes> I did not know this was available already...I want to get a second unit for the bedroom and have my eyes on this or one of the new Philips units.

Reviews please as soon as the first person gets their DIR800!

John

Oct 28, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #160 of 238
John-Se any recommendations for high quality optical cables I could buy? Monster cables sound like great brand to go with.

Which one do you use?

It would seem that DH2 also need some brain burn-in time inorder to get use to the invisible echo especially with dialogue in scenes taking place outdoors. Without the virtual echo the sound would not be given space period. You got to have some echo even in a propperly set-up home theater. You can't just leave it out or you probably have a DH1 experience.

DH2 was set for music as stated by Dolby themselves.

Oct 28, 2003 at 5:37 PM Post #162 of 238
Quote:

Originally posted by sfxjames

It would seem that DH2 also need some brain burn-in time inorder to get use to the invisible echo especially with dialogue in scenes taking place outdoors. Without the virtual echo the sound would not be given space period. You got to have some echo even in a propperly set-up home theater. You can't just leave it out or you probably have a DH1 experience.

DH2 was set for music as stated by Dolby themselves.

Let's see what Dolby says:

Quote:

DH2 is a more acoustically live (or "wet") room particularly suited to music listening, but also great for movies.

(As lawyers, say, "emphasis added".)

In fact, DH2 does have echo. One just needs to listen to it to hear the echo. However, to my ears, the echo is natural whereas the echo in DH3 is too strong (like a big, boxy, acoustically untreated room). I like DH1 because it sounds like a local movie theater (I admit it -- I grew up in the suburbs and going to the movies to me meant going to the multiplex), and not like a small room.

But I really don't understand your comments, because DH1 also has echo and is designed is designed to sound like a "home theater" in a small room. The echo is in fact needed to properly produce the 3D impression. What did you mean by your last sentence? Do you think DH1 failed in its goals to sound like the echo in a small room?

Oct 28, 2003 at 9:05 PM Post #163 of 238
I'm sorry, you're right.

DH1 also has echo, not much though.

I know from hearing an encoded demo disc.

I will say this, we can assume that DH1 and Dh2 give the listener a different perspective of the action on screen.

DH1 having a smaller, tighter soundfield.
DH2 having a bigger, wider soundfield.

Oct 29, 2003 at 12:59 AM Post #164 of 238
Basically DH1 is a small room, DH2 is a medium-sized room, and DH3 is a big room. The problem for me is that DH3 is very echo-ridden, and while that might work for symphonic music, I'm not used to watching movies in big rooms that don't have substantial echo-dampening.

Oct 29, 2003 at 6:30 AM Post #165 of 238
Funny how everyone's tastes are different... And a lot of you audiophile guys really know your stuff...

I really notice only a little echo on DH3, but I am certianly only a fledgling audiophile with a very untrained ear. I like to use DH3 for everything—and I particularily like if for regular stereo Pro-Logic II television broadcasts.

DH3 to me really opens the sound up and makes it appear to fill the whole room (I guess this makes sense considering it was designed to stimulate a theater)...

When I switch over to DH2 or DH1 (which I really dislike), the sound starts to sound very small and headphoney—particularily DH1... The real auditory magic for me is through DH3. But you guys have gotten me more atuned to detail and I want to focus in on the echo factor and how it effects me...

Thanks...!
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back