Review: Pioneer SE-DIR1000C Dolby Headphones
Oct 26, 2003 at 1:56 PM Post #122 of 238
if my speakers distort? no, Ive never heard my speakers distort like that, my ht setup is capable of much louder volumes than I can play it at cause of other ppl living on the other side of my living room wall as well as right above me.

Actually that scene is really cool with my ht setup, all that bass gave a real cinema feel to it
smily_headphones1.gif

(And most of the bass is handled by the active sub, and to get that to distort the bass like hell... well Im afraid things would start falling off walls and shelves before that happens)

Oct 26, 2003 at 2:54 PM Post #123 of 238
I do not have the SW discs, but I have experienced distortion or clipping on certain bass-heavy soundtracks with my Pioneers. It was rare, but it happened a couple of times. This was early on in the burn-in process...since then, I only get distortion if the batteries are running low on the headset and need a recharge.

The "pinging" sound I was originally referring to in my initial review is not an electronic noise..it is the mechanical sound that comes from the actual pivot joint where the band joins the earcups on my set. It might be unit specific, although I think Gergor's pair also had the same issue.

John

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:03 PM Post #124 of 238
Quote:

Originally posted by JMedeiros
I do not have the SW discs, but I have experienced distortion or clipping on certain bass-heavy soundtracks with my Pioneers. It was rare, but it happened a couple of times. This was early on in the burn-in process...since then, I only get distortion if the batteries are running low on the headset and need a recharge.

Thats very interesting! So have you specifically gone back to the same dvds where you experenced this distortion and played them without distortion after the burn in?

If thats a fact then maybe I need to start running my pioneers 24/7 untill mine reaches that point...

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:09 PM Post #125 of 238
yes bonkura maybe you need a break in period first before you max up the volume. but for in consideration maybe your dh needs a liitle adjustment maybe on the settings on the DH1, 2, or 3 or maybe u need to get a better toslink cable.
And here's another tip Full Charge the Dh battery and run your DH for 3 Films then rest for 1 hour then go at it again try to used different movies as possible so as to exercise the speaker coils and get used to different sounds. Try movies and music that you often use or the kinds of movies you want so that it can settle on your own preference. Try it!!!
600smile.gif

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:22 PM Post #126 of 238
Im not sure the dh setting would have anything to do with the clipping, I run mine on dh 2 and as far as sound and 3d effects go, I think they are really nice, my only sound issue is the clipping of bass, but I will find something to hook them up to and play them untill the batteries run out now. As for toslink quality affecting bass clipping, you really think so? I have a bunch of toslinks around but none of real high quality, I was thinking of getting a glass toslink if I can hear difference in digital cables, which I have yet to test.

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:33 PM Post #127 of 238
Yes the toslink will surely help build more sound than distortions. U should use a high quality toslink cable. The factory included toslink in the pioneers are quite small for a good toslinks I have change my toslink to a better one. Almost double the thickness than the original and more thicker.
600smile.gif
It's like using a small wire for electric than using a bigger which can deliver more capacity if needy.

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:37 PM Post #128 of 238
I'll have to get back to cables later, right now Im running the pioneers to see how burn in affects the performance, any idea what volume I should have them on during the burn in? normal or maxed out?

Oct 26, 2003 at 3:41 PM Post #129 of 238
If you just started use half the volume first then make it 3/4 until the film ends. or maybe you should listen to it first if you here distorting sounds lower a bit the volume till you don't hear any distortions then play it for 1 movie and 1 hard music so as to exercise the speaker movements.

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:37 PM Post #131 of 238
Quote:

Originally posted by john-se
Yes the toslink will surely help build more sound than distortions. U should use a high quality toslink cable. The factory included toslink in the pioneers are quite small for a good toslinks I have change my toslink to a better one. Almost double the thickness than the original and more thicker.
600smile.gif
It's like using a small wire for electric than using a bigger which can deliver more capacity if needy.

Well, I must disagree vehemently with this. From an electrical engineering perspective, since the signal is transmitted digitally, replacement of the optical cable will only provide psychological improvements, not actually measurable improvements. Since the signal is digital, as long as the optical cable is functioning, it will function at maximum performance. I'd go with the cheapest possible digital cable. Since the included cable is free, that would seem to be the cheapest.

As far as clipping is concerned, check the power on your portable headphones. Are you sure they are really fully charged? Weak power can definitely lead to noticable distortion. This is mentioned prominently in the manual (unfortunately, in Japanese.) Otherwise, unless the source material contains distortions, the headphone shouldn't distort.

Oct 26, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #133 of 238
Quote:

Originally posted by Bonkura
Thats very interesting! So have you specifically gone back to the same dvds where you experenced this distortion and played them without distortion after the burn in?

Yes I have...but I also suspect that those instances may have resulted from low battery charge....especially after Music Fanatic's post.

John

Oct 27, 2003 at 11:48 AM Post #135 of 238
Quote:

Originally posted by sfxjames
John-se do you have a 32" TV or bigger?

That's pretty long viewing distance.

What DH setting do you use?

I use DH2 for movie viewing DH1 is a bit flat. I have a Toshiba 36 inches HDTV. For the cables I use VAN DENHUL from the dvd going to amp and "TRANSPARENT" for the DH going to amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back