[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Mar 29, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #227 of 458
Let us know what you think about them once they arrive.

What "super cheap" IEMs did you order?

Joyroom JRE 109 I just ordered a pair last night along with the Awei ES900i and a cheap 1.94 fun green iem with vol control looks nice i doubt the sq will be good. Who knows might be a gem in the rough. Both are said to have NICE bass mids and highs. We will see.
I know you want to see the cheapo iem SO... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252755984227

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #228 of 458
Joyroom JRE 109 I just ordered a pair last night along with the Awei ES900i and a cheap 1.94 fun green iem with vol control looks nice i doubt the sq will be good. Who knows might be a gem in the rough. Both are said to have NICE bass mids and highs. We will see.
I know you want to see the cheapo iem SO... http://www.ebay.ca/itm/252755984227

I've heard good things about Awei. The Q9 (ES-Q9) are supposed to be really nice. Don't know anything about the ES900i.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:36 PM Post #229 of 458
I' e heard good things about Awei. The Q9 (ES-Q9) are supposed to be really nice. Don't know anything about the ES900i.

They were only 5 bucks. I read they were pretty good. Cant wait to hear the Joyroom and Rock zicrons. :) Since im not buying stuff for awhile i hope they fill in the time before i get anything audio or win $100,000 in the lottery. Doubtful. Hahaha

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #230 of 458
They were only 5 bucks. I read they were pretty good. Cant wait to hear the Joyroom and Rock zicrons.
smily_headphones1.gif
Since im not buying stuff for awhile i hope they fill in the time before i get anything audio or win $100,000 in the lottery. Doubtful. Hahaha

If you like bass (like for EDM music), you'll love the Zircons. The sound signature is very similar to the SHL-3300, only shrunk down to a tiny sleek little IEM.

Did you get the white or black version (there's a numerous reports that the white and black version differ in sound, but my whites are not here yet so I haven't been able to verify it for myself.

Mar 29, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #231 of 458
If you like bass (like for EDM music), you'll love the Zircons. The sound signature is very similar to the SHL-3300, only shrunk down to a tiny sleek little IEM.

Did you get the white or black version (there's a numerous reports that the white and black version differ in sound, but my whites are not here yet so I haven't been able to verify it for myself.

EDM nope can you recommend some artists? Into Pop Old and New Rock Jazz Latin, etc.
WELL you just made my crappy day into a good one a mini 3300 Rock Zicron Yow Sa. I got the black ones white dirty too easy. Just ran into this review of the 900i:https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2435376
Damn the wait time.

Mar 29, 2017 at 7:42 PM Post #232 of 458
EDM nope can you recommend some artists? Into Pop Old and New Rock Jazz Latin, etc.
WELL you just made my crappy day into a good one a mini 3300 Rock Zicron Yow Sa. I got the black ones white dirty too easy. Just ran into this review of the 900i:https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2435376
Damn the wait time.

EDM Is Electronic Dance Music, like techno, dubstep, trance, house, etc. It's generally very bass/sub-bass dominated, which is what the Rock Zircons really shine with. Also, since most instruments are electronic, a headphone doesn't have to be as detailed to sound good, because an electronic cymbal sounds different than a real cymbal (although the source sample was recorded from a real cymbal at one point).

If you find the Zircons are a little too bassy for you, you may consider giving something a little more balanced and neutral a try (where one area isn't accentuated more than any other).

Having the midrange and treble more forward (and more balanced with the bass), as well as something with good treble extension and a wide sound stage, will allow things like vocals, guitars, cymbals, and brass instruments (among other things) to sound like you're hearing it live in-concert. This is why many go with neutral, open headphones for things like Jazz, Latin, Rock, Classical, etc. It's not a requirement though, as you can like whatever sound signature that you want.

There are many very affordable choices for neutral IEMs, ranging right in the Zircon territory.

Thanks for the link to the 900i - I'll check that out.

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #233 of 458
Well, since I haven't been able to purchase HM5 pads, I went with a different approach, the ghetto approach
I have a small daughter, so I had some cotton pads, like these ones:

The ones I had were a little smaller actually.

So, I rolled them up, and stuck them into the cans to try to make the earpads a little thicker

This is how it looks:

Remember these are the Shure 440 pads, which are not exactly thick.
So far I like it, me ears don't touch the drivers anymore, they feel more comfortable, and I like the sound.
I know it doesnt look pretty, but until I get the chance to get HM5 pads, this will have to do.
I will try to get a cleaner look though, maybe using larger cotton pads, so they go all the way around the earpads.

Mar 30, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #234 of 458
Looks great.

Stuffing pads works great, and plenty of people do it on all sorts of headphone models. The cotton pads you used works, and people have also used Kleenex, paper towel, cotton balls, a short section of thick cable (like coaxial or computer network cable).

Mar 30, 2017 at 11:16 AM Post #235 of 458
EDM Is Electronic Dance Music, like techno, dubstep, trance, house, etc. It's generally very bass/sub-bass dominated, which is what the Rock Zircons really shine with. Also, since most instruments are electronic, a headphone doesn't have to be as detailed to sound good, because an electronic cymbal sounds different than a real cymbal (although the source sample was recorded from a real cymbal at one point).

If you find the Zircons are a little too bassy for you, you may consider giving something a little more balanced and neutral a try (where one area isn't accentuated more than any other).

Having the midrange and treble more forward (and more balanced with the bass), as well as something with good treble extension and a wide sound stage, will allow things like vocals, guitars, cymbals, and brass instruments (among other things) to sound like you're hearing it live in-concert. This is why many go with neutral, open headphones for things like Jazz, Latin, Rock, Classical, etc. It's not a requirement though, as you can like whatever sound signature that you want.

There are many very affordable choices for neutral IEMs, ranging right in the Zircon territory.

Thanks for the link to the 900i - I'll check that out.

Thanks gonna look into that music. Is Depeche Mode considered EMD? Do you think the Zicron go deeper than the ZS3? I have question about the pads on ebay did you take off the mesh on the pads? You never showed pics of mesh driver part only the sides and back. Can you post a pic. Rhanks. NICE job maso.How about a pic with them on the 3300?

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:40 PM Post #236 of 458
Thanks gonna look into that music. Is Depeche Mode considered EMD? Do you think the Zicron go deeper than the ZS3? I have question about the pads on ebay did you take off the mesh on the pads? You never showed pics of mesh driver part only the sides and back. Can you post a pic. Rhanks. NICE job maso.How about a pic with them on the 3300?

Yeah, I'd consider DM as EDM music (I've been a DM fan since the late 80s, and have seen them in concert a few times). I think the Zircons pair very well with DM.

I'm able to get deeper insertion with the Zircons (because they are so small), but a big pat of insertion is what tip you have installed. On the Zircons I'm using the stock tips (one of the best stock tips I've ever seen), and on the ZS3 I'm using KZ Starlines.

So on the ebay pads, I left the fabric installed. The reason for this is because the stock plastic grilles on the SHL3300 has a layer of red fabric on it. So when you remove the stock plastic grilles (I can't recommend this enough), it leaves the stock drivers exposed. So any pads you use should have a layer of fabric to protect the driver. The ebay pads and the HM5 pads have a layer of fabric, so it works out perfect.

I can still post a photo if you want. Just lemme know.

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #237 of 458
Yeah, I'd consider DM as EDM music (I've been a DM fan since the late 80s, and have seen them in concert a few times). I think the Zircons pair very well with DM.

I'm able to get deeper insertion with the Zircons (because they are so small), but a big pat of insertion is what tip you have installed. On the Zircons I'm using the stock tips (one of the best stock tips I've ever seen), and on the ZS3 I'm using KZ Starlines.

So on the ebay pads, I left the fabric installed. The reason for this is because the stock plastic grilles on the SHL3300 has a layer of red fabric on it. So when you remove the stock plastic grilles (I can't recommend this enough), it leaves the stock drivers exposed. So any pads you use should have a layer of fabric to protect the driver. The ebay pads and the HM5 pads have a layer of fabric, so it works out perfect.

I can still post a photo if you want. Just lemme know.

Love DM saw them live once. Good show. Ill have to rip some of my cds to flac. Zicron darn why do i have to wait SO long. Those JR 109 should be just as good hopefully. YEAH if you can some pics. Ill see if the new pad mesh wont mess with the clarity if yes off they GO.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #238 of 458
Love DM saw them live once. Good show. Ill have to rip some of my cds to flac. Zicron darn why do i have to wait SO long. Those JR 109 should be just as good hopefully. YEAH if you can some pics. Ill see if the new pad mesh wont mess with the clarity if yes off they GO.

For ripping the CDs, I recommend Exact Audio Copy. It's really nice. It's not the most intuitive program to use at 1st, but there are helpful guides on how to get it properly configured and how to use it: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_guide_to_EAC

For the photos of the pad mesh, you can see here that the stock pad has NO fabric built-it, where the replacement pads DO:

The reason the stock pad doesn't have the fabric is because it's stuck to the back of the stock plastic grille:

However, when you remove the stock plastic grille (highly recommended for improvement in sound), the stock driver is left unprotected from sweat/dust:

The new round pads (and HM5pads) add this driver protection back via the built-in fabric attached to the pads.

I guess you could remove the fabric from the pads for the Nth degree of extra clarity, but the fabric is so thin (like panty hose) it's usually worth keeping it in place so it can protect the driver.

Some pads come with the fabric cover AND a 3-5mm thick piece of acoustic foam stuck to the back. Those are the cases when I consider removing the FOAM pad to improve the sound (treble and clarity usually):

Hope that helps,
- Slater

Mar 31, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #239 of 458
For ripping the CDs, I recommend Exact Audio Copy. It's really nice. It's not the most intuitive program to use at 1st, but there are helpful guides on how to get it properly configured and how to use it: http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Beginners_guide_to_EAC

For the photos of the pad mesh, you can see here that the stock pad has NO fabric built-it, where the replacement pads DO:

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

The reason the stock pad doesn't have the fabric is because it's stuck to the back of the stock plastic grille:

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]
[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

However, when you remove the stock plastic grille (highly recommended for improvement in sound), the stock driver is left unprotected from sweat/dust:

The new round pads (and HM5pads) add this driver protection back via the built-in fabric attached to the pads.

I guess you could remove the fabric from the pads for the Nth degree of extra clarity, but the fabric is so thin (like panty hose) it's usually worth keeping it in place so it can protect the driver.

Some pads come with the fabric cover AND a 3-5mm thick piece of acoustic foam stuck to the back. Those are the cases when I consider removing the FOAM pad to improve the sound (treble and clarity usually):

Hope that helps,
- Slater

Rhanks.
I meant with the 3300 on just to see them with the ebay pads on. I used to use EAC back in the day. Ill look in it again.

Mar 31, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #240 of 458
Rhanks.
I meant with the 3300 on just to see them with the ebay pads on. I used to use EAC back in the day. Ill look in it again.

Ah, ok sorry I misunderstood.

I'll get some pics up of the 3300 with the round pads.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back