[Review] Philips SHL3300 "DJ" Headphones - Most Underrated Headphone?
Feb 10, 2017 at 11:27 AM Post #181 of 458
2. I completely ditched the plastic grilles. The difference was immediate, like you removed cotton balls from your ears. If you thought swapping out the stock pads was an improvement, wait until you remove the grilles. The easiest way to remove them (once the pads are off) is to locate the small "v" shaped notch on the face of the cups. Look at the edge of the "v" notch and you'll be able to see where the grilles are sitting on top (they are about 2mm thick). Stick the tip of a paper clip or tiny flat head screwdriver under the grilles and lift them up slightly. Now rotate the grille COUNTERCLOCKWISE and it will pop right off.

I removed the plastic grilles of my headphones and found out you don't need to lift up them. Just rotate them firmly counterclockwise, and they will pop off, it was much easier than I had expected. I don't know if it's placebo, but I also believe the sound has improved, however slightly. Bass didn't seem to change at all, but soundstage is a bit better.

edit: also not sure whether it's placebo or not, but I also noticed treble and clarity have improved a lot.

Feb 13, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #182 of 458
It's not a placebo. The much-improved clarity & soundstage is immediately apparent. For under $20, they're an unbelievable value. I'm considering picking up another pair to see what they sound like opened up with mesh backs (think poor man's Fidelio X1/X2).

Modded, the SHL3300 are my 2nd favorite pair of headphones, right behind the Sennheiser Momentums. I only wish the HM5 pads didn't get so toasty after a few hours. I wonder if the HM5 hybrid pads would be any better?

Also, if anyone wants to try the removable cable mod, I'll send you one of the perfect-fitting pcb jacks that I used for free (the mod really is ridiculously easy). I practically have a lifetime supply of them LOL.

Feb 13, 2017 at 1:44 PM Post #183 of 458
Yeah,the soundstage is what I would say had the biggest improvement. The audio sounds it's coming from all directions, it's hard to describe, but it sounds so good.

I love how rich synthesizers and bass sounds with these headphones. I love listening to songs like Axel F or Crockett's Theme from Miami Vice TV series. Money For Nothing from Dire Straits is another track that sounds absolutely fantastic with the SHL3300, and even more now without the grilles.

Another thing that I also noticed after ditching the grilles is that the headphones became way more comfortable. I guess my ears are not being pressed as much as they were by the grilles. I can wear the phones longer now before feeling considerable discomfort.

Feb 20, 2017 at 12:22 AM Post #185 of 458
I just picked up a set of these from Newegg for $18 shipped and I'm very impressed with them. I can only tolerate on the ear pads for so long so I'm definitely going to change out the pads to the HM5 pads soon.

If you don't want to go for the HM5 pads, any 90mm/95mm/100mm** round pad will work just fine too (ie Beyerdynamic DT660 DT770 DT880 DT990 style).

** Stock pads are 95mm round. What fits on SHL3300 are 90mm round (stretch to fit), 95mm round (perfect fit), and 100mm round (pretty loose fit but still works as long as pads have a wide lip on the back).

The HM5 pads are oval, which gives you plenty of room if you have big ears. But I have tried a few round pads I have & they are equally comfortable.

Some extra advantages of the HM5 pads is a larger color selection, angled vs non-angled design, and lots of choices in construction - pleather, velour, hybrid velour/pleather, and sheepskin leather. But the HM5 comes at a price premium ($25-$50 vs $5-$10 for generic 90/95/100mm pads from aliexpress, ebay, etc).

Just make sure whatever pad you go with has the thin see-through fabric cover in the center (not sure what it's called), so if you decide to remove the stock grilles (highly recommended) there's still protection for the drivers.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #186 of 458
  If you don't want to go for the HM5 pads, any 100mm pad will work just fine too (ie Beyerdynamic DT660 DT770 DT880 DT990 style).

The HM5 pads are oval, which gives you plenty of room if you have big ears. But I have tried a few 100mm round pads I have & they are equally comfortable.

Some extra advantages of the HM5 pads is a larger color selection, angled vs non-angled design, and lots of choices in construction - pleather, velour, hybrid velour/pleather, and sheepskin leather. But the HM5 comes at a price premium ($25-$50 vs $5-$10 for generic 100mm pads from aliexpress, ebay, etc).

Just make sure whatever pad you go with has the thin see-through fabric cover in the center (not sure what it's called), so if you decide to remove the stock grilles (highly recommended) there's still protection for the drivers.

I have HM5 pads on my Monoprice 8323 headphones. I love the extra room that they have. I took one of the HM5 pads off my Monoprice headphones and tried to put it on the Philips and found it was a little difficult. So I'm a little hesitant about ordering another pair of the HM5 pads. What 100mm round pads do you recommend? I don't want velour because I know that it lowers the bass impact. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #187 of 458
I am by no means a pad expert, and I am a fan of the HM5 pads (which do fit fine on the SHL3300 BTW).

But as far as "generic" 90mm/95mm/100mm round pads**, I got some really comfortable ones from a store on aliexpress (called "Ryan's store") for $12. They are 30mm thick, which is the same as the HM5, and they are high quality in construction & stitching.

** Stock pads are 95mm round. What fits on SHL3300 are 90mm (stretch to fit), 95mm (perfect fit), and 100mm (pretty loose fit but still works as long as pads have a wide lip on the back).

Here's what the pads I bought look like:

I found that many of the really cheap round pads from aliexpress ($3-$6) are either really thin like the stock SHL3300 pads (and thus my ears would bottom out), or they were made as a 2-piece construction vs a 4-piece construction. I personally prefer 4-piece pads (HM5 is a 4-piece construction), as I find they look better, seal better, can be made thicker, and are more comfortable in my opinion.

Here's a comparison:

- 2-piece style = a single piece that makes up the top/inside wall/outside wall + a back

- 4-piece style = separate pieces sewn together for the top, inside wall, outside wall + a back

Also, there's a whole thread dedicated to ear pads: http://www.head-fi.org/t/639510/the-ear-pads-thread

Feb 22, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #188 of 458
  You think the oval Shure pads would fit on these? LIke SRH840/440's.

Just in case you were still wondering
I just got these cans and I used a pair of Shure 440 pads on it, and they fit nicely

----

I just got these headphones and man, you were not kidding, really nice sound
Still have to go through the burn in period, but they look promising

I swapped the earpads for a pair of Shure 440 and they fit quite well
I wanted to try with the HM5, but they are not available where I live

Also, will get to read a little bit to see if I have the balls to do some of the mods listed on here

Feb 22, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #189 of 458
  Also, will get to read a little bit to see if I have the balls to do some of the mods listed on here

Do yourself a favor and at least remove the plastic grilles. You don't even have to remove any screws or open the headphones; you just remove the pad and the grilles twist right off.

If you don't like it, the grilles can be put right back on. Besides upgrading the pads (which you've already done), removing the grilles is the 2nd best sound improvement you can do to the SHL3300.

Feb 22, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #190 of 458
Gonna order them after all positive reviews. I have hifiman re600-s now. Someone could compare sound?i like them but are a little bass light and mid forwarded.I pair them with ibasso dx90.

I don't have hifiman re600, so I can't directly compare, but the SHL3300 has plenty of tight sub-bass, not bloated or muddy. Removing the plastic grilles under the pads opens up the soundstage and adds additional clarity and treble detail (treble isn't harsh; it just sounds veiled/muffled with the grilles in place).

I've also noticed that the SHL3300 is extremely forgiving to lower bit-rate source files. I have many 192kbps as well as some 128kbps files, and they sound surprisingly good on both an iPod and Xduoo X3 (amped or unamped), vs the same files not sounding that great on some of my other more expensive headphones.

Bottom line is the SHL3300 is a headphone for fun day to day listening at school, work, commuting - good isolation, inexpensive, fairly portable. It's not an analytical studio monitor that will reveal every detail and flaws recordings though.

My only minor gripe with them is the DJ design. They flop and twist all over the place when taking on and off. That's every DJ style headphone though - my club spinning days are long over, so I prefer a headphone that doesn't flop around like a carnival ride whenever they're not on my head.

The price to value ratio is just plain redonkulous. I just picked up a 2nd set for $7 shipped to do some more advanced mods, but at the more common street price of under $20 shipped, it's still an absolute no-brainer.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #192 of 458

Hey, if you happen to do the detachable cable mod to the new pair you order, please take pictures of the process

You're a mind-reader haha!

On a related note, a few people have asked me if the removable cable mod adds wired control. I am happy to report that YES, once you do the removable cable mod you'll gain full control using an appropriate cable. I'm now using a "Beats" style cable, and I have full microphone, volume control, pause/play/skip, etc. I also tested a generic 'single button' style cable on Android, and it works as intended as well (microphone, pause/play).

Feb 25, 2017 at 4:32 AM Post #193 of 458
I wanted to provide an update to my SHL3300 mods.

First, I went back and updated the original mod post with updated photos of the removable jack, inside of the cup, etc. So now that's as comprehensive as I can get it. Second, I completed the "Fake-elio" open mod to a 2nd pair of SHL3300 I bought for $7 shipped. I figured if I ruined them I'd only be out $7. I'm pleased to report that the mod was not only successful, but it exceeded my expectations! The open mod was time consuming (75% removing/grinding/cutting all of the plastic bits, cutting the plastic cups for the grilles and waiting for epoxy to dry, 25% desoldering and resoldering), but I feel it was totally worth the work.

It's very easy to A-B the difference, because all you do is reseal the open holes using the round disc of plastic removed as part of the mod (+ some tape). Then flip the taped covers down to expose the open holes & compare. You could technically also cover the holes with your hands as a quicky test, but your hand doesn't always seal the holes perfectly, & the act of covering the holes with your hands smooshes the headphones closer to your ear, causing false sound changes.

Here's a summary of the differences between the closed and open SHL3300:

Closed (modded) SHL3300:

- Soundstage is more shallow & closed-in vs open (modded)
- Excellent isolation
- Nice accurate, tight & fast bass. Bass-boost switch is required ON the closed version to get the equivalent bump in bass that the open version has with bass-boost switch OFF.
- Treble is more prominent in closed vs open, but sounds more "shallow" and slightly tinny. You wouldn't ever notice this unless you directly A-Bd them though.

Open (modded) SHL3300:

- Soundstage widened by approx 25%. Female vocals literally sound like you're sitting in the same room.
- Poor isolation (better than a completely open design like many Sennheisers, but anyone sitting near you will hear your music)
- Bass increased approx 20% vs closed. I actually have to turn OFF bass-boost, or else on some bass-heavy tracks it gets a little too boomy and distorted at really high volumes (ie "a wall of bass")
- Treble became more recessed by about 10-15%, but sounds much smoother, clearer & crisper, and less "shallow" and tinny. You wouldn't ever notice this unless you directly A-Bd them though.

Which ones do I like better? I love both modded versions, but it would depend on your preferences. I wouldn't hesitate to use the close modded ones at work or commuting - they sound awesome and have great isolation. Also good for movies due to the extra boost in treble. Excellent for pop, classic rock, industrial, country, new wave, etc (although soundstage and vocals sound better on the open modded version). I'm a basshead, so when listening at home (where I don't care about isolation), and when I just want to unleash bass cannons, I go with the open modded. They have nice smooth treble and increased bass, which sounds fantastic with bass-heavy music such as EDM/dubstep/techno/etc.

I'll be honest, you really can't go wrong with either modded version. Despite having never heard any open Philips (such as Fidelio X1, X2, or SHP9500), I think Philps should have sold an open version of the SHL3300 under a different model number but at the same price point as the closed SHL3300. Hypothetically if the Fidelio X1, X2, or SHP9500 has a similar sound as the open modded SHL3300, they are certainly at much higher price points.

The "Fake-elio" open mod steps:

The mod is basically identical to my original SHL3300, with the only exception removing some extra bits and adding the grilles. So if you're going to do the open mod, I suggest reading the SHL300 mod post as well - some of the steps in that post are more detailed than the same step in this post.

1. Remove the stock plastic grilles (Step 2 in my regular SHL3300 mod post). Once you remove the pads, the grilles just twist off by rotating COUNTERCLOCKWISE.

2. Pop the cups apart by inserting a flathead screwdriver in the crevice where the back of the pad goes and gently prying on the plastic tabs located at 10, 2, 4, & 8 o'clock. Some/all clips will break as seen here:

Make sure to remove all of the little pieces of broken tabs that will fall to the bottom of the cups as seen in the below photo. The hinges on the inside of the cups have grease on them, which will make some of the pieces of broken tabs stick. You don't want to forget a piece and have them rattling around after you're done modding!

Cut the stock wire at the end of the orange strain relief as seen here:

Now pull the short piece of cut off stock wire up into the cups through the orange strain relief, and remove the orange strain relief as seen here:

3. Note the colors of the wires going to each driver & write down. Desolder the stock wires from the drivers and set the drivers aside. Tape the wires out of the way so they don't get damaged.

4. Remove the springs/plastic pins inside of the cups and discard as they are not needed. To do this simply slide the 2 halves of the pins towards one another (compressing the spring). The plastic pin (with spring attached) will pop right out. Slide the other half of the pin off (the one with the driver wire going through the middle - hence why you had to desolder the drivers in the previous step). You can see the (removed) plastic pins and springs here:

5. Now take pliers and break off the 2 plastic pieces in the MIDDLE of the cups as shown here:

Grind the remainder of the broken plastic bits smooth with a Dremel. Repeat for the other cup.

DO NOT REMOVE/DAMAGE THE PART IN BLUE (LEFT CUP)! IT'S NEEDED FOR THE REMOVABLE JACK!!

6. Mark the center of the cups, and scribe a hole 34mm in diameter with a compass as seen here:

Cut out the hole with a Dremel and sand edge smooth as seen here:

Repeat for the other cup.

7. Take some sort of metal grill material and cut (2) 40mm diameter circles. I bought a pair of 2" tweeter grilles on ebay for $1.75 as seen here, but old computer speaker grilles works too:

You'll have to cut a flat spot in the top of the LEFT grille so it can clear the spot where the removable jack will go (as seen here):

The RIGHT grille is perfectly round, since the RIGHT cup doesn't have the removable jack plastic thing:

8. Epoxy the grilles from the inside. I used JB Weld "Plastic Bonder", but I'm sure regular epoxy will work fine (don't use super glue). Here's the left & right grilles once glued in and cured:

9. Solder the wires back onto the drivers using the colors noted in step 3. Be sure to keep the polarity the same so you don't end up out-of-phase. Now do the removable cable mod (Step 5 in my regular SHL3300 mod post). Solder the wires between the LEFT driver & removable jack BEFORE you install the jack into the plastic "well". Once soldered, insert the removable jack into the plastic "well" by first tilting the jack at a slight angle so that the 3.5mm hole goes through the hole in the headphone cup as seen here (the jack in the photo is just for illustration, and doesn't have the wires soldered):

Then simply push the rear edge of the PCB jack downwards using a pencil eraser or some similar tool, taking care not to damage the solder pins. What you end up with is this (the jack in the 1st photo is just for illustration, and doesn't have the wires soldered):

A perfect fit! Tighter than a 12 year-old back injury haha (http://imgur.com/kseKnBU for joke reference).

10. Once the jack wiring is soldered, test the jack to make sure it works. Then reinforce the jack with a bit of hot glue/epoxy on the inside of the cups as indicated here:

Here's the jack after soldering & hot gluing:

The glue serves to both reinforce the jack/wiring as well as seal the gap where the strain relief was (because the strain relief hole is slightly larger than the female jack's 3.5mm hole).

11. Now glue the cups back together with a drop of superglue gel/hot/glue/epoxy in the spots indicated here:

Just don't go berserk with the glue on the cups in case you ever need to take the cups back apart. One drop as indicated by each yellow dot is more than enough glue. You could probably even get away with only using 4 drops of glue total (every other yellow dot in photo).

To hold the cups together while the glue is curing, stretch a few rubber bands tightly around the cups in an "X" pattern to provide nice even pressure. Once the glue is cured, remove the rubber bands & fill in the gap around the jack on the outside of the cup where the strain relief was using a bit of hot glue/epoxy, as indicated here:

12. Once the glue is all done & cured, do the Dynamat mod on the outside face of the cups (dynamat on inside of cups is not possible due to the lack of room from the epoxied grilles). See step 4 in my regular SHL3300 mod post:

13. Reinstall the pads (HM5 or generic 90mm/95mm/100mm x 30mm thick for best sound), plug in a cable, and enjoy your Fake-elios!

Let me know if you have any questions.

- Slater

Feb 25, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #194 of 458
Fantastic just did the removal of the plastic grills and orange mesh and what a big difference with Bass and Treble. :) They sound as good as my JBL 500, dang. I left the original pads as they are comfy to me. Thanks Slater. Great job. :D

Feb 25, 2017 at 3:26 PM Post #195 of 458
Wow
Awesome

Thanks for the photos on the detachable cable mod, I'll be ordering the jack to do this mod
Also, what does the dynamat mod change (sound wise)?
On the original mod post you mentioned that you applied dynamat on the inside too, would that be on this part of the inner cups?

If I get to do the mods and not screw everything up, I might get a second pair to do this open headphones mod, to use at home

Thanks for all the photos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back