Review: Philips Fidelio L1 [Updated 5/14]
Jan 14, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #706 of 756
  they don't have an airy sparkle, but i have yet to say to myself "these are too dark sounding" while listening.  i'm finding them highly enjoyable.  listened to some trap music last night and the bass was slammin and the treble wasn't fatiguing.  it was great.  also watched an episode of Homeland (showtime) with them last night and they worked well. 

Maybe they were too dark to me, because when I listened to them, I was used to the AKG K540 which had a very bright sound.

Jan 14, 2015 at 2:31 PM Post #707 of 756
  Maybe they were too dark to me, because when I listened to them, I was used to the AKG K540 which had a very bright sound.

No, they do have a dark tint to them, but they are overall quite fun to listen to and largely fatigue free. I love them for gaming and movies. Only issue that is quite notable is a bit of distortion in the midrange. I compared them to the Sennheiser PX-100ii which is very dark sounding, but actually sounds a bit cleaner in mids.

Jan 21, 2015 at 8:37 PM Post #708 of 756
I am trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the L1...especially given the low price.

I recently bought X2s and love them with an unhealthy love....so much so that I don't feel I can leave them at home or at work (office), thing is...I am not dropping that much coin right now on headphones.  My work phones are currently grado sr80s (pre - i or e)...but I can't stand them anymore, they are just too aggressive and harsh for any type of longer listening/use, especially when contrasted with the X2.

So I am looking at the L1 - love the design, and for work I could do with less sound escaping than the X2 and could use some isolation (but not totally...need to hear the phone)....plus the much lower price on amazon.  Listening would be "non-critical" and more apt to use 192k-320k mp3s with popular music (can't install codecs for flac on the work PC).

What do you think - L1 a good fit?  Anyone have both?  When I read Innerfidelity (Tyll) description of headphones I have heard I can almost 1:1 agree on how he describes each sound (and I own the RHA MA-750 and Fidelio X2 from his "wall of fame")....and his description seems like it would be a good fit.  I do have concerns with clamping force and stiffness of pads....I wear glasses and I wouldn't want more than the X2 pressure on the temples

Jan 22, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #709 of 756
I am trying to decide if I should pull the trigger on the L1...especially given the low price.

I recently bought X2s and love them with an unhealthy love....so much so that I don't feel I can leave them at home or at work (office), thing is...I am not dropping that much coin right now on headphones.  My work phones are currently grado sr80s (pre - i or e)...but I can't stand them anymore, they are just too aggressive and harsh for any type of longer listening/use, especially when contrasted with the X2.

So I am looking at the L1 - love the design, and for work I could do with less sound escaping than the X2 and could use some isolation (but not totally...need to hear the phone)....plus the much lower price on amazon.  Listening would be "non-critical" and more apt to use 192k-320k mp3s with popular music (can't install codecs for flac on the work PC).

What do you think - L1 a good fit?  Anyone have both?  When I read Innerfidelity (Tyll) description of headphones I have heard I can almost 1:1 agree on how he describes each sound (and I own the RHA MA-750 and Fidelio X2 from his "wall of fame")....and his description seems like it would be a good fit.  I do have concerns with clamping force and stiffness of pads....I wear glasses and I wouldn't want more than the X2 pressure on the temples

Personally I would go with the L2, they are an outstanding set of headphones. I owned the L1 for a bit, but wasn't impressed, so sent them back. The L2 is much better imo although it doesn't have as much bass as the L1, it is a lot more revealing and fun.

I too am looking at getting the X2 at somepoint.

Jan 22, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #710 of 756

I haven't heard the X2, but the L1 is a great headphone for "non critical" listening. They are darker sounding but have a pleasant punchy bass and are anything but harsh in my view (the mid range could be a smidgen cleaner), there's nothing particularly grating about them, though they aren't the last word in detail. It makes a lot of my low bitrate music sound decent that is otherwise unlistenable on my HE-500s, while remaining quite a good headphone for a wide variety of genres. I also like them for gaming and the built in microphone is also handy. Also like that I can still hear people trying to get my attention or a phone that is ringing. They are very comfortable for long periods as well which helps for office listening. They do still leak a bit of sound, but unlikely enough to bug anybody unless its a really quiet office.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #711 of 756

I haven't heard the X2, but the L1 is a great headphone for "non critical" listening. They are darker sounding but have a pleasant punchy bass and are anything but harsh in my view (the mid range could be a smidgen cleaner), there's nothing particularly grating about them, though they aren't the last word in detail. It makes a lot of my low bitrate music sound decent that is otherwise unlistenable on my HE-500s, while remaining quite a good headphone for a wide variety of genres. I also like them for gaming and the built in microphone is also handy. Also like that I can still hear people trying to get my attention or a phone that is ringing. They are very comfortable for long periods as well which helps for office listening. They do still leak a bit of sound, but unlikely enough to bug anybody unless its a really quiet office.

Thanks.  Regarding the comfort factor - do you wear glasses?  

If only you had heard the X2 :) for comparison.

Jan 22, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #713 of 756
Personally I would go with the L2, they are an outstanding set of headphones. I owned the L1 for a bit, but wasn't impressed, so sent them back. The L2 is much better imo although it doesn't have as much bass as the L1, it is a lot more revealing and fun.

I too am looking at getting the X2 at somepoint.

Well - a big part of the equation is cost...L2s are so close to X2 in price I would just get them (another pair...I already have one).  Also hearing that L2 is brighter than X2 would be a step in the wrong direction.  I might start looking at HD558 or HD598 as well....but I do like the idea of semi open for my use and the L1 (and L2, X2, X1) look so much more classy and better built.

Jan 31, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #714 of 756
Well I pulled the trigger and have had the L1's for about 5-6 days.  First the bad, the don't sound as good as the Fidelio X2...the X2 sounds like you are there, or higher end speakers in a good room.  I was pretty sure of that before I pulled the trigger.  Every day I listen, I really appreciate them more and more (a bit of brain burn in).

I am extremely happy with them.  First....the design and resulting compromises are almost perfect for my use of these cans.  

Isolation:I wanted some isolation - so with moderate volume most of the office din is drowned out...but without the complete blackout of IEM.  This does it...in fact better than I expected, I can even use them while on the same couch as the kids with the TV on (you hear it in quiet passages, but music is enjoyable when on.

Sound leakage:  Minor/minimal.  Way less than Grados/HE-400/X2 (least of these three).  No issues at all in office environment.

Non-fatiguing:  No treble edginess....hours with no problem.

Form factor:  Materials, size, appearance are exceptionally classy.  As a manager, I wouldn't feel comfortable with plasticy or overly large cans...these are pure class.  My ears are relatively large and they fit without a scrunch.  Form also works great for semi portable, carry with you, wear around the house.  The rotating cups allow a quick drop to the neck for a short conversation with someone stepping in my office or the wife/kids.  Very comfortable, while warmer than wide open cans - much less sweaty than something like the ATH-M50, works better with glasses than those as well (but not as good as the pillow than is the X2).  

Also the pigtail for removal cables...this is the right way to do it for portable or semi-portable cans.  While a cup port is preferred for a strictly homebound can, it can cause extreme stress if you leave the cable plugged in and toss it into a bag...not so a pigtail.  Leave the cable in, no undue stress.

Sound:Tonally similar to the X2 once I put in a 3dB cut at 2kHz, very nice energy and punch, bass it controlled, tight and extends deep, nothing missing across the board until you get to the "air" in the upper end pushing these somewhere between open and closed for soundstage and openness (um...they are semi-open).  Actually - the staging is better and more out of head for me than the Grado SR80s...so not as good as good open, but better than many.

The highs are actually more present than I was expecting - they are definitely not edgy, they are darker, but do have very good detail and extension.  Cymbals, hat brushes, snare, all sound smooth and natural (I would even say there is a narrow band where it beats the X2).  This is part of the compromise based on the design of semi-open, non fatiguing.  Just hits the nail on the head for those who aren't doing short highly analytic listening.

The sound overall has great energy, nothing offensive, fun, mostly neutral with a warm tilt, bass that is fun without flabbing or overemphasis (pretty near Harman curve).  They respond well to additional power - the midrange opens up, bass is tighter and distortion is well in check at moderate high volumes.  They are much closer to the X2 than any of the other phones I've heard lately (Shure E4, RHA MA-750, ATH-M50, Grado SR80).  I feel they absolutely shame the SR80 in every aspect but "air".  I'll add some notes after I do some A/B on the M50s.

Truly an exceptional value at the current price, especially for around the home, office and semi portable. 

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:00 PM Post #716 of 756

No, they do have a dark tint to them, but they are overall quite fun to listen to and largely fatigue free. I love them for gaming and movies. Only issue that is quite notable is a bit of distortion in the midrange. I compared them to the Sennheiser PX-100ii which is very dark sounding, but actually sounds a bit cleaner in mids.

Are you sure you were hearing distortion?  The distortion plots on these look really good/low.  What I noticed is that they (L1) are right around 3dB high over ideal in the 2kHz band, which until you get the "brain burn in" sounds like slight nasal or congestion when given an A/B.  This combines with the dark tint to sound overly closed at first.

My solution was to put in a 3dB cut at 2kHz - this puts them right where I like them through the midrange....if you still have them, try it out.

Feb 1, 2015 at 1:53 AM Post #717 of 756

Are you sure you were hearing distortion?  The distortion plots on these look really good/low.  What I noticed is that they (L1) are right around 3dB high over ideal in the 2kHz band, which until you get the "brain burn in" sounds like slight nasal or congestion when given an A/B.  This combines with the dark tint to sound overly closed at first.

My solution was to put in a 3dB cut at 2kHz - this puts them right where I like them through the midrange....if you still have them, try it out.

The L1 sounds more distorted in the mids compared to the Sennheiser PX-100ii. Also very evident compared to the Hifiman HE-500, but I won't hold this against the L1, it is a much more expensive headphone.

Feb 2, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #718 of 756
I've had the Philips L1 for a few months now. Haven't noticed any cracking, yet, on the leather headband, but there is some creasing. Is this something I should keep an eye on? How do you guys maintain the headphones?

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #720 of 756
  So for $104.00 it's a no-brainer???

In my view yes, great headphone if you have compressed source material or want to use it for general video watching and gaming. The comfort factor also scores high marks in my view. I'm particularly enjoying mine with the Violectric V100 which just gives it even more terrific bass. Tempted to buy a backup pair, but I'd rather upgrade to the X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back