REVIEW: Ostry KC06
May 1, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #1,516 of 2,536
Well that's me guilty your honour. It's 0440 here and I'm still awake in bed listening away and browsing head fi.

Thanks to everyone who helped discover these. Hell yeah to my low-fi brothas!

I'm interested in the KC06A but I don't really see myself every buying them, more bass is a nono from me. I'm almost tempted to buy another pair of these in case these first ones break. Hopefully something new and even better will be around then though if quality keeps on improving!

May 1, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #1,517 of 2,536
  ^
And peps wanna use these for sleeping iems. HA!!! Mofos are gonna become insomniacs in no tyme. LMAO  All listen and no sleep.
cool.gif
Shades not for BOSS look but for panda eyes. :wink:

Yeppp, the budget-fi arena sure has come a longgg way these couple of years, cuz for me despite people kept saying that the gr07s punches way above their old $180 MSRP, it seems that they are very dated these days.  Have even tried the latest hyped hybrids such as the DUNU DN1000s and despite they are great as well, it just feels like that for $150 to $200 can get you A LOT more these days.  Sold off all my expensive iems and is damn happy with my VC02, MH1/Cs, VSD1 (in fact these cheapos VSD1s made me sell my beloved gr07 BEs LoL) and soon to be Ostriches. : P

So happy listening and happy budget-fi hunting ya'll cuz no need to pay an arm and a leg for great sound these days esp. if you intend to use them as daily neater sets cuz having a pricey set die/ break on ya' will make your heart skip a couple of beats, just ask mo'shill and his woodies. hoho   : P

Yes, they are indeed good for insomniac sleeping iems. Sleep with a smile with 'em all night :)

Apart from their SQ (which by now everyone knows is freakishly good for the price), I really do love their tough build, small size, and lightness. They are the perfect portable iems for me when I need to take them out and leave'em dangling (I can't say that about my other frankenbolt iems lol).

May 1, 2014 at 11:53 PM Post #1,518 of 2,536
Well that's me guilty your honour. It's 0440 here and I'm still awake in bed listening away and browsing head fi.

Thanks to everyone who helped discover these. Hell yeah to my low-fi brothas!

I'm interested in the KC06A but I don't really see myself every buying them, more bass is a nono from me. I'm almost tempted to buy another pair of these in case these first ones break. Hopefully something new and even better will be around then though if quality keeps on improving!

^
Think your insomniac monkey avi says it all.
900x900px-LL-71996824_user-283979-avatar.jpeg
... ostriches, turkeys, monkeys, sexcee lil' bridies damn this thread is turning into a zoo.
triportsad.gif

Low-fi as in price not in sound. :wink:

May 2, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #1,519 of 2,536
Is this iem suited for straight down placement on the ears?

May 2, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #1,522 of 2,536
Is this iem suited for straight down placement on the ears?

Sure. But personally i found them much more comfortable the way up. simply dissapear

Quote:

Yes, they are indeed good for insomniac sleeping iems. Sleep with a smile with 'em all night :)

Apart from their SQ (which by now everyone knows is freakishly good for the price), I really do love their tough build, small size, and lightness. They are the perfect portable iems for me when I need to take them out and leave'em dangling (I can't say that about my other frankenbolt iems lol).

they're indeed! So liquid and smooth mids. But also great to wake up!

May 2, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #1,523 of 2,536
So I've fixed my comfort issues by wearing them with smaller tips and a bit deeper so that's one of my only complaints gone.

Man I love these 'phones. I was a bit skeptical they could ever live up to the hype but these have seriously wowed me.

I can only compare them to the VSD1s and GR06 and keep in mind I'm no experienced audiophile but I'll do my best:

are you sure? This was an excellent post!

May 2, 2014 at 12:23 AM Post #1,524 of 2,536
I found them much better straight down, around ear works good too as long as I don't use it for sleeping. It's the perfect beater phone, cheap, airy and sounds very good.

Shenzhen doesn't reply my email regarding KC06A :mad:

May 2, 2014 at 1:06 AM Post #1,527 of 2,536
with a better fit and isolation, KC06 could have been the best bang for buck IEM. ever. my exams are over. gonna do a straight up full length A/B review between the KC06 and B3.

May 2, 2014 at 5:16 AM Post #1,528 of 2,536
Any brief impressions on 6A? How big the basss?:)

May 2, 2014 at 5:27 AM Post #1,529 of 2,536
They should add a warning/disclaimer on the box to warn people not to operate any heavy machinery while listening to these.  If you get lost in on of the songs, who knows what might happen!

May 2, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #1,530 of 2,536
I purchased some comply t-400 tips for the sake of testing it out on the KC06. it didn't yield good results generally. isolation and comfort went up TREMENDOUSLY. however, in terms of purely sound quality, the only positive change was that clarity and detailing took a slight boost (i think i may be able to hear nostril hairs bristling or smth lol), likely due to the isolation improvement. with the comply tips, the airiness of the KC06 more or less disappears, and that alone is robbing the KC06 of it's greatest plus point. also worth noting, is that soundstage width decreases significantly. 

to my ears, this also accentuated the problem which i stated a few pages back regarding how the mids seemed to be deliberately tweaked to be the only frequency range which benefited from this airy sound. the lows and highs seem relatively 'supressed' because of this. with the comply tips, this effect is none the more obvious.

the effect perceived in most songs may be described as a live band playing in a concert. the bassist and drummer and/or acoustic guitarist is playing on the stage some distance away from you. the vocalist is stradling your lap singing into your face. from a purely musical point of view, i don't know if i should find that awesome or disturbing. i suppose when i played my university recorded lectures through the KC06, it helped me concentrate a little better for fear that the lecturer was looking straight at me. pure instrumentals sound absolutely amazing on the KC06 because it does not have to confront this problem greatly. i would say most recordings don't really suffer because of this in-your-face-mids effect, but some recordings really do fare poorly imho.

enya ('wild child', 'only time', and especially 'orinico flow') sounds brilliant on this because her vocals are so creamy smooth and laid back and so the mid forwardness does make her songs come to life. on the other hand, i'm not sure if it's the recording or production, but listening to kt tunstall's entire 'eye to the telescope' album is really just a weird experience to say the least.

maybe watching richard linklater's before sunset/after sunset/before midnight series on these would make it the best movie(s) ever, if you get what i mean lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back