REVIEW: Ostry KC06
Apr 1, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,476 of 2,536
  I've been a long supporter of the KC06 but I have decided to give them up.  It's probably just me, but I think the paint (or something) has worn off and is giving me allergic reactions inside my ears.  Every time I wear KC06 for extended period of time, I develop a rash and it lasts for 2-3 days.  I've tried cleaning the tips and the iem's themselves with no luck.  

It's very unfortunate because I really love the sound that comes out of these.

Just a note on non Stainless Steel models of FAD's I noticed that after a few hours wearing my Heaven S's the other day that my ears felt a little tender. It seems the gold plating is not that thick as even with gentle use ( I baby my stuff) I noticed that some of the plating has rubbed off and where it has the brass is exposed. Now, that is not an issue unless, like me you have base metal allergies!

It is an easy solve I have found, just a dab of clear nail polish left to cure hard sorts out the issue with no sonic effects. I thought it worth pointing out to any one who has the same sort of allergic reaction to me.. Save up for the SS or piano forte IX instead:D

Maybe worth a try?
smile_phones.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #2,477 of 2,536
Wow!  Solid idea, I'll definitely give it a try.  

You know what, never knew there was such a thing as base metal allergies.  I don't even know what my allergy is but that sounds like something I might have, I just remembered I also used to have problems wearing certain (cheaper) watches, the ones with the metal backing!  

Thanks for sharing this @james444 !!

May 15, 2015 at 1:08 PM Post #2,481 of 2,536
I am a big fan of Ostry KC06 original version.... Bought them twice.... Did not like ostry kc06a due to recessed mid and metallic sound.... Before ostry I considered myself a basshead.... But after ostry I have come to know the beauty of a mid centric sound.... Had GR07BE, Dunu 1000, XBA-3, MH1C, Fischer DBA02, RE262, but never I enjoyed any other phone as much as ostry's....They have changed the way I listen to music and my preferences...

May 15, 2015 at 1:27 PM Post #2,482 of 2,536
I am a big fan of Ostry KC06 original version.... Bought them twice.... Did not like ostry kc06a due to recessed mid and metallic sound.... Before ostry I considered myself a basshead.... But after ostry I have come to know the beauty of a mid centric sound.... Had GR07BE, Dunu 1000, XBA-3, MH1C, Fischer DBA02, RE262, but never I enjoyed any other phone as much as ostry's....They have changed the way I listen to music and my preferences...

KC06a doesn't have recessed mids if you EQ the bass down.. And that metallic sound becomes less after some burn in, but it's still there when they're fully burned in unfortanetly.

May 15, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #2,483 of 2,536
KC06a doesn't have recessed mids if you EQ the bass down.. And that metallic sound becomes less after some burn in, but it's still there when they're fully burned in unfortanetly.

By recessed I mean only in comparison to original version..... Otherwise A version are also quite good in mids... But never like them as much as original version

May 15, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #2,484 of 2,536

Looks like someone has had an epiphany!

....actually, I have had mine for a year now and agree ...one of those product/bargains of the year.

May 15, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #2,485 of 2,536
By recessed I mean only in comparison to original version..... Otherwise A version are also quite good in mids... But never like them as much as original version

Hmm. I will get the regular KC06 then if my KC06a will ever break..

KC06a with less bass, more forward mids and smoother treble would definitely be perfect for my taste.

May 18, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #2,486 of 2,536
Aug 27, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #2,489 of 2,536
I own a pair of KC06's and have pretty small ear canals. I use the small tips from the included tips package that are the smaller bore (package reads Eartip II). I am interested in improving the overall comfort and fit. When searching I've seen people mention Comply foam tips but I'm wondering what ones to get and are you using them as replacements or tip rolling (another thing I just read about for the first time)?

Go easy i'm kind of a noob as you can tell.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back