REVIEW: Ortofon O-One (Updated: 840, M50 vs O-One Comparison)
Aug 3, 2010 at 6:43 PM Post #16 of 46
Well after the review I haven't put anymore burning time, but I do know they have over 100+hours.  Maybe I'll burn them in for a few more days to see if the treble has died down a bit.  Haha, I am still waiting for Ultrasone (new question) and ortofon's reply regarding the drivers and headphones.  However, I've been experimenting with different songs, and maybe the mids aren't recessed, but I still think the soundstage is average (comparable to HF2).  But, all that time they've been strapped to my gamecube so the comfort is a definitely a plus!

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #17 of 46
Hey Mythless,

Thanks for reviewing our O-Ones. Glad you like em!!

I have to agree with your assessment here - they are very detailed headphones, and they REALLY sound much less strident after break-in.

Two things:

Firstly, I wanted to comment on your observation about the warmth of the headphone

Quote:
"The cold, bright, aggressive, and weird resonance O-One has now matured into something more balanced, it's still not very warm, but it's a lot better than before and more importantly very pleasant to listen too."

You're definitely right!  It's not a warm sound, although would you agree it's not cold (after break-in)?  We wanted to make a headphone that was more neutral in its presentation, so that listeners would have a more transparent window into what comprises a recording.  Technically it's considered a professional audio headphone, and we have angled it towards those who need reference-grade sound for music production.  Although it's actually pretty pleasant just for everyday listening.

Quote:
Ortofon’s reply:  still waiting.

Here's our official reply:  Yes, these are manufactured for us by Ultrasone, but they are using a custom driver that is not used in any other Ultrasone design.  I know that's pretty much Ultrasone's words verbatim, but the reason we chose those drivers was primarily because we wanted to voice the headphone to have a similar sound to open-back circumaural cans.  Sort of a half-way point - a headphone that gave better stereo imaging and perception of detail, but still had the capability to produce nice punchy bass when it was called for.  We felt that combining that custom driver with S-Logic (which is what you see when you remove the earcups, that metal plate with strategically placed holes) would yield that sort of sound.

Of course, with any good headphones, they are going to be very revealing of flaws in the recording or mastering job.  If you have a recording that has been destroyed in the mastering process (as some inherently are), these headphones are not going to cover that up.  On the other hand, the best recordings will be allowed to shine to the fullest extent.  And as much as these headphones are highly efficient (and will be adequately loud on a portable device), it goes without saying that they will be improved markedly by a headphone amplifier. 

And on a TOTALLY different topic, the O-2 headphones that we also sell...  Those are the same driver as Ultrasone's DJ1 headphone, but we have modified the crossover to have a slightly different sound which is more weighty in both the bass and midrange (comparatively speaking).  The O-2, however, is a DJ headphone by trade and has NO S-Logic.  I use them for DJing myself.

Thanks for the review!! 

Louis/Ortofon USA

Aug 4, 2010 at 1:37 PM Post #18 of 46
Hey!  Thanks for the official reply, Louis!  I didn't know we had a rep here (well USA one) on the forums!  I just have one question to ask you, personally.  I took a look at your headphone inventory and see you have quite a few different variety of headphones.  To you, how does the O-One soundstage compare to the 840s, 700 and O-2?  My experience with soundstage isn't very vast. 

But, to me, I think the O-One has a very average soundstage.  I think it's probably due to the forward treble (which can be quite nice, especially for certain jazz).  Though, if I were to dampen the O-One I might change my opinions regarding the soundstage. 

I will admit the resonance on the O-Ones can be quite addicting.  I'm not hearing the shrill and over resonance on the mids when compared to some Ultrasones, so that is quite nice.  But, I do like it when you can feel the vibrations in the bass, and have a very clean resonance (though it does sound slighly metallic).  But, the resonance on the treble can be a tad too much.  But, from a purely studio headphone - the O-Ones would be great, very detailed, clean, and revealing.  As I stated in the reviwe, when plugged into my X-Fi you can hear the artifacts, but it cleans up nicely on my Pico Slim.

Personally, the O-Ones reminds me of sitting in a small chapel/church and listening in on a recording.  Which isn't bad at all, not one bit.

Atm, I am seeing, using a different sound file to burn in the O-Ones a bit longer.  I'll update my initial review once I think the cooking process is done.

Cheers!

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #19 of 46
Quote:
Hey!  Thanks for the official reply, Louis!  I didn't know we had a rep here (well USA one) on the forums!  I just have one question to ask you, personally.  I took a look at your headphone inventory and see you have quite a few different variety of headphones.  To you, how does the O-One soundstage compare to the 840s, 700 and O-2?  My experience with soundstage isn't very vast. 

No problem at all.  We really appreciate that you took the time to give a review and that you did a good job describing the sound of the O-One.

As far as the comparison:  I think the the soundstage is very similar to the HFI-700, which are superior to the 840s. 

I would be very interested to find out if your headphones improve further after some more break-in!

Thanks!!

Louis / Ortofon

Aug 4, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #20 of 46
Hrmm, I guess it might be time to do a more critical comparison with the 840s and maybe even with the M50s, when/if I get a chance, haha.  That should be an interesting one.

Edit: heck I might even add in the T50p once they're done cooking.

Aug 4, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #21 of 46
I take back the notion that the O-Ones have a average soundstage!  I was just listening to Rachmaninoff piano concerto...wow...It sounds just lovely!

Edit:  I don't know how it happened but using a different file to burn in the files and opened the O-Ones up more....(eh?)

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:36 PM Post #22 of 46
Enter the Fatal 3 Way Comparison: Shure SRH840, Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ortofon O-One

Hrmm 3 post in a row, guess no one is really interested in the O-One.  But, I hope this next post will change people's perspective on it.

In today market, generally the SRH840 and the M50 are highly recommended, if someone wanted something more balanced people recommended the 840, if people wanted something with more bass bite and depth the M50 took it's place as the top user choice.  However, the O-Ones were never looked at as a proper contender in the market of "portable" headphones, until now.  I had the generous opportunity to compare these headphones all together using my own portable gear: Sansa Fuze, Fiio L6 LOD and my Pico Slim, since these headphones can be considered "portable."  And, that I always have the Pico Slim latched to the Fuze.  I know this isn't the longest comparison but I hope everyone enjoys it.

Songs of Choice all FLAC files:

Rachmaninoff Piano Concerto No.2 in C minor Op.18 first movement
Airbourne - Too Much Too Young Too Fast
Talib Kweli - Hot Thang

Classical, Rock, Hip Hop are generally the type of music a large amount of people listen too.  That's why I chose these 3 specifically, and that I likes these songs. 

For myself, when listening to the three I found these headphones to be quite similar, besides their sound signatures which will be their determining factor (and a more personal factor when choosing which headphone is for you).  I had to carefully and critically listen to nitpick at the slight differences between the three.  But, in the end I am sure the sound signature will be what most people are looking for.

Shure SRH840

It's tonal balance works great with all genre, the RE0 of headphones, but like the RE0 it doesn't really excel or engages the listener to the music.  It's is very detailed, with very good music separation, clarity.  It lacks nothing, but lacks everything is how I see the 840.  It does everything so well but it's so neutral, and laid back (compared to the other two) that it's says "Hey, I'm here." and that's it, just a simple wave to be acknowledged.

Piano Concerto: very natural, great separation, bass depth and punch, but lacks the engagement into the music, I am always wanting more out of the 840s, I want to hear and feel the resonance and vibrations (at a comfortable listening level) but it doesn't give me what I want.  I want to feel excited in the height of the movement and be enticed by the piano but I can't.  The soundstage is a now what I could and now place it as "average."  Overall, the 840 does well for classical pieces.

Airbourne:  Great separation, detail, punchy bass and does everything well.  Sounds natural, but like the piano concerto I don't have this "wow" factor.  As I stated, it sounds as if I am listening to my RE0.

Talib Kweli: Bass user: It does not lack bass at all, even the impact I wouldn't call light.  It's not heavy but it does go deep, but it will leave you wanting more.

Overall: SRH840 does everything well, neutral, balanced with great clarity, detail.

Audio Technica ATH-M50

If the 840s were right in the middle, (between light and heaviness) I would lean the M50 towards the heaviness.  It has great low end resonance, and I can understand why it 's recommended over the 840 for hiphop/rap or bass heavy music.  However, it is no slouch when it comes to the midgrade and treble.  It's not as detailed or as clear (due to the heaviness - maybe more veiled be more appropriate term?) than the 840s but you can hear every single note, instrumental separation and decay.  It's like being punched to be acknowledged instead of a simple wave.

Piano Concerto:  When the low end comes you feel it and it feels great!  It engages you to listen, but I find the slight heaviness takes away from the treble and leaves the violins wanting to be pushed further.  But, again it is no slouch.  It does everything very well, especially the bass.  But, you do lose the clarity and detail when compared with the 840.  I would say the soundstage between the M50 and 840 are similar, I wouldn't be able to tell you which one was bigger or smaller.

Airbourne:  It also has good instrumental separation, and the bass is quite good, it can be punchy but it's not as punchy as the 840.  But, if you really want to hear the guitars and cords to their full extent the M50 may sound a tad heavy. 

Talib Kweli: Absolutely the best, very engaging.  It out pulls and punches over the 840 like a heavy weight over a featherweight.

Overall:  Heavier notes and bass but without sacrificing too much treble or detail.

Ortofon O-One

The underdog of the three.  No one had information regarding the O-Ones and no one took any interest in it, until now.  Truly an over looked headphone and I personally think underestimated.  Granted it's the most expensive one ($200USD) but, it offers something truly special (for some) that the other 2 can never achieve, tonal resonance throughout the treble, mid and bass, all thanks to the S-Logic - this was the "wow" factor for me.  Ortofon you guys have truly have something special to offer in this particular range of headphones, and you should be quite pleased with your product because I am.  Whatever driver you guys chose, they're great!  At first, I thought about trading them or even selling them for something similar for it's price range.  But, after this comparison I've decided to keep them as long as I can.  I've just never heard anything like it, granted I also never heard any Ultrasone so take my words as a grain of salt, and throw it into people's eyes! (and feel the irritation, muhahah).

Alright, let's get serious now.  If the 840 were in the middle, the M50 were to the right (heaviness) then what of the O-One.  They are actually quite light on their notes, and hence be to the left.  Yes, it does not have the bass presence of the M50, but it does have the punchy-ness of the 840s and the resonance of the M50s but presence does not last as long, if that makes any sense.  It goes deep but it doesn't continue because it's not as heavy? lol...err guess I'll stick with that description for now.  I've already discussed about how clear and detailed these headphones are so let's move into the music.

Piano Concerto:  Due to the lightness, I hear it as being the largest soundstage of the three.  Everything is great, the O-One have great harmonics for this piece, everything goes so well from the piano, to bass to violin.  Absolutely a treat to listen, especially for an IEM guy.  I can hear the crispness of the notes, the extension of the bass and it so good to listen too.  Everything sounds clean, natural, detailed, and engages the listener.

Airbourne: Absolutely the best of the three.  I can even hear the slight resonance of the guitar, it's quite cool, the bass is punchy and resonates and you can feel the vibrations.  One of the best closed rock cans  I've heard so far.  Haha, even though I haven't heard that many.  I do love hearing the electric guitar resonate.

Talib Kweli: Sadly, I find it is the weakest when it comes to hip hop.  For me it sounds too airy, but it does this genre decently well.  But, it's not it's strongest.  Everything is clear, vocal are great but again, the when the bass resonates it sounds way to airy, it's not heavy at all.

Overall: this underdog has some bite, it can play with the big boys without the fear of being pushed back. 

Conclusion:

Which one is better?  All depends on personal preference.  None are really better than the other or worse, its all in what you want.  Therefore, I will not do any ranking.  But, I think people should give the O-Ones a shot!  However, in terms of headphone bendability and flexibility and DJing-driver turning ability I would say the M50 is first, then O-Ones then the 840.  All three are great phones, and I don't think anyone would have any qualms in owning any of them if they actually read review on them and understand their sound signatures.

Aug 6, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #23 of 46
I've reached similar conclusions as Mythless comparing the O1 against the SRH 840 and ATH-M50. The cans that "play nice" with the broadest range of genres to my ear are the 840s. It's all good, though nothing really superb. The M50 and O1 both have genres that suit them and sound fantastic, and conversely there are some genres that sound... not as good.

Portability:
O1 folds up the smallest, but doesn't really hold itself together in that config without a pouch or elastic
M50 has the neatest and self-contained fold position
840 is kinda clunky and folds up different, but at least has the best pouch

Construction: all three are pretty durable, though I would say the 840/M50 are slightly above the O1

Weight (from lightest to heaviest): M50 < O1 < 840

Comfort:
840: best pads, annoying pressure at top of head, very loose clamp, suitable for larger heads
M50: good pads but the 840 are better (and in fact fit on the M50), strong clamp, suitable for smaller and/or rounder heads
O1: nothing special to note

I'm just about to head off to bed, but tomorrow morning I'll try to remember to post up those pics I have of the O1/840/M50 all side by side.

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #24 of 46
Excellent impressions mythless. Personally I've owned the M50 and the SRH840. I never heard the Ortofons, but you make them sound promising. I felt that the SRH840 was generally a much better all around headphone than the M50 and a good deal more advanced technically. My main gripe about the M50 was the lack of detail, especially micro detail/texture, something that SRH840 delivers in spades IMO. To my ears, this made M50 sound quite lifeless for any kind of instrumental music. They did do well with dance, trance and some pop, especially j-pop recordings though, because of their their well present and extended treble and bass. The Shures may sound boring by comparison until you realize that the M50 boosts the bass and the treble a bit too much, while SRH840 is the one that is more accurate and "musically realistic."

But the SRH840 is not exactly neutral either - they still have noticeable emphasis on bass (mid/upper bass) and lower treble when you compare them to more neutral equipment. For a more neutral and transparent sound in a closed headphone in the same price range, I highly recommend giving Fischer Audio FA-003 a try - they have a more open soundstage, more balanced bass and treble extension, and better separation than the Shures, although do loose out a little bit in micro detail, but better overall tonal balance and soundstage more than makes up for for this IMO. They also have amazing earpads - if you think those on SRH840 are great, wait till you put on the FA-003.
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #25 of 46

Quote:
Excellent impressions mythless. Personally I've owned the M50 and the SRH840. I never heard the Ortofons, but you make them sound promising. I felt that the SRH840 was generally a much better all around headphone than the M50 and a good deal more advanced technically. My main gripe about the M50 was the lack of detail, especially micro detail/texture, something that SRH840 delivers in spades IMO. To my ears, this made M50 sound quite lifeless for any kind of instrumental music. They did do well with dance, trance and some pop, especially j-pop recordings though, because of their their well present and extended treble and bass. The Shures may sound boring by comparison until you realize that the M50 boosts the bass and the treble a bit too much, while SRH840 is the one that is more accurate and "musically realistic."

But the SRH840 is not exactly neutral either - they still have noticeable emphasis on bass (mid/upper bass) and lower treble when you compare them to more neutral equipment. For a more neutral and transparent sound in a closed headphone in the same price range, I highly recommend giving Fischer Audio FA-003 a try - they have a more open soundstage, more balanced bass and treble extension, and better separation than the Shures, although do loose out a little bit in micro detail, but better overall tonal balance and soundstage more than makes up for for this IMO. They also have amazing earpads - if you think those on SRH840 are great, wait till you put on the FA-003.
biggrin.gif

Haha, thanks for the kind words.  I think many people over look the Ortofons, but they're quite the contender.  But, like everything in this hobby, it might not be for everyone.  I just happen to enjoy them more so over the other two since, as I listen to much more rock, jazz, classical and such.  I swear I'm loving the "resonance high!"  I completely agree when it came down to the micro details, the 840 and O-Ones were better, but it took a while to actually notice it.  As well I would think the M50 are better at trance, dance and the lot.

Haha, the Fischer Audio gear has always intrigued me.  One of these days (when I find them used
tongue.gif
)...

Right now, I am breaking my Beyer T50p.  They're not too bad, definitely more portable but they still sound a bit veiled.  But I will say they're a lot smoother than the O-One, and they really loved to be amped.

Aug 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM Post #26 of 46
Thanks again for doing this comparison.  You're right, people glance over the Ortofons because they are presumably the same as Ultrasone's DJ1 PRO.  That's truly not the case as Mythless and others have pointed out - they sound rather different.

I will certainly admit that they don't have the HUGE thunderous bass response of 840s or M50s. However, the timing of the bass presentation is something to pay attention to here - you can really hear the starts and stops of each note clearly, especially with a good source.  They can definitely hold their own in the bass department, but those that want a huge walloping wall-of-bass should look elsewhere.

Now regarding the 840s, I didn't want to defame them or come across as negative about a competitor's product.  I own them, and I agree 100% with what is being said here.  They come across as too relaxed for me, and I agree about the slight emphasis.  Sadly past 100 hours of break-in, they remain in the box.  Anyone have some Beyerdynamics or Senns they want to trade?
happy_face1.gif

Aug 10, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #27 of 46

Quote:
Also, every Ultrasone that I have owned as a new phone has had dramatic changes in sound with burn-in, more than any other headphone if I recall correctly.

x2

The 2500 was ridiculous.  Anyone disbelieving burn-in should get some 2500s NIB and give them a listen.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:57 PM Post #28 of 46
Here's a bunch of pictures with the SRH840, M50 and O1 side by side... my apologies for the huge pictures.

First up is to show how compact the O1 is when it's folded up. Unfortunately, it doesn't hold itself in this shape (you could use an elastic band or something).

Side by side...

Folded (M50 has the nicest form here, though O1 is smaller if you have something to hold it together)
).JPG" src="http://www.head-fi.org/image/id/306804/width/1000/height/500" />

Aug 12, 2010 at 1:34 PM Post #30 of 46
Oh yeah, forgot to take pictures of the bags! The 840 and O1 have reasonably sized bags to shove everything into. The M50 is a bit of a snug fit, and good luck getting all of the cord in there (I wish I got the coiled cord instead of the straight one now, but I think I'd have even more trouble getting the coiled cord into the bag).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back