Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
May 27, 2016 at 8:31 PM Post #152 of 1,164
For you guys who are using PowerAmp Alpha, is the Hi-Res Output working for you? When I enable it, it will seem to work for a bit, then when changing tracks for fast forwarding a track playback will stop and I get an error message saying something like "Hi-Res Output failed". Sometimes if I push the play button a bunch of times, the track will start over but not always. So I've been disabling the Hi-Res Output for now. Any ideas? I really liked that feature as most of my FLAC files are 24bit/96khz needledrops from my vinyl collection. That feature made PowerAmp Alpha the best sounding player on my LG V10. I'd really like to get it working on the HTC10 before my return period is over. Still trying to decide which phone sounds better and which I should keep....:confused_face(1):

I'm facing exactly the same issues as you with my HTC 10. Using Neutron in the interim, but i think Poweramp Alpha still sounds better (but facing the said issues)

May 27, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #153 of 1,164
You`d probably have to wait until it's written into the program. If you read the intro for .703, it states that the High-res option has been optimized for certain phones. The 10 isn't one of them. And with HTC being so secretive about the DAC chip used, it might be hard to get it done.

May 27, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #154 of 1,164
So in the meantime, what is the best player to use? What player will output hi-res files in their native bit depth and sample rate?

Also, is the stock htc sense music program any good? I installed the sense 7 music player .apk, but it crashes when I launch it. When I had a Sony phone I always liked the stock Walkman app plus it output hi-res, so I was curious about the htc version. Is it worth tracking down?

May 28, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #157 of 1,164
I have no problem using Onkyo HF player or power amp alpha with the 10 and can still use high-red to feed pha-3

Okay.  I have a V10, which is one of the phones mentioned in the .703 release notes as being supported for hi-res.  And for me, it works no problem.  I get all my flacs in 24/44.1.  

Other than turning on the High res option on the HTC 10, do you do any other setting changes?  I'm just trying to help out others, who seem to be having trouble getting it to stay on.

May 28, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #158 of 1,164
Other than turning on the High res option on the HTC 10, do you do any other setting changes?

I use Poweramp Alpha and according to The info on the screen it's playing HiRes (FLAC 24/96, 24/192) without any issues, but I haven't turned on any HiRes option when I installed it!:confused:
Where is this option??

May 28, 2016 at 10:35 PM Post #160 of 1,164
  Okay.  I have a V10, which is one of the phones mentioned in the .703 release notes as being supported for hi-res.  And for me, it works no problem.  I get all my flacs in 24/44.1.  

Other than turning on the High res option on the HTC 10, do you do any other setting changes?  I'm just trying to help out others, who seem to be having trouble getting it to stay on.

Like I said, it worked great on my V10. When I installed the v.703 on my HTC 10, I made sure all the settings were the same from the V10. I even tried changing a few but it makes no difference. Sometimes it will play 4-5 songs in a row with no problem, but if I change albums or fast forward I get the cannot play error. It's even worse if I have it on shuffle. I guess they have to make some changes to the program for it to be compatible with the HTC? Could that be because of the rumored DAC in the HTC 10? We still don't have s straight answer on whether it has a dedicated DAC or is just using the Snapdragon, right?

Is there a program to display the audio output of the Android system in real time, so I can try some other music players and see which is outputing in native sample rate, and not downsampling to 48kHz? I've seen people post screen shots but I'm not sure what program they're using or if it's a hidden menu in Android

May 29, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #162 of 1,164
Like I said, it worked great on my V10. When I installed the v.703 on my HTC 10, I made sure all the settings were the same from the V10. I even tried changing a few but it makes no difference. Sometimes it will play 4-5 songs in a row with no problem, but if I change albums or fast forward I get the cannot play error. It's even worse if I have it on shuffle. I guess they have to make some changes to the program for it to be compatible with the HTC? Could that be because of the rumored DAC in the HTC 10? We still don't have s straight answer on whether it has a dedicated DAC or is just using the Snapdragon, right?

Is there a program to display the audio output of the Android system in real time, so I can try some other music players and see which is outputing in native sample rate, and not downsampling to 48kHz? I've seen people post screen shots but I'm not sure what program they're using or if it's a hidden menu in Android

It's been confirmed that it's a dedicated DAC, not Snapdragon.
Have you tried Neutron? I think it's a better player than Poweramp anyway and the customer service is excellent so, if you have trouble, you'll get an answer.

May 29, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #163 of 1,164
I meant the high res option in Poweramp Alpha.

I navigated through the menu and found the option however it's unstable as other users already reported.
Also, I don't understand why one have to set a sampling frequency, does it mean it will up sample anything to the set frequency??
Another question, with hi res disabled (default) the screen looks like you see below, it still says I am playing at hi res?

May 29, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #164 of 1,164
For my V10, which is one of the supported phones, when I turn that function on, I get my 16/44.1 and 24/96 modes confirmed on that screen. If I turn it off, PowerAmp uses the standard android API, and it samples to 16/48. The reading at the bottom of the playback screen is the original sample rate, not playback.

May 29, 2016 at 8:24 AM Post #165 of 1,164
For my V10, which is one of the supported phones, when I turn that function on, I get my 16/44.1 and 24/96 modes confirmed on that screen. If I turn it off, PowerAmp uses the standard android API, and it samples to 16/48. The reading at the bottom of the playback screen is the original sample rate, not playback.

so how can you be sure of the playback sample rate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back