Review on HtC 10 and Sound quality (AQstic Dedicated Integrated DAC)
May 29, 2016 at 8:33 AM Post #166 of 1,164
Settings/audio/output/high res output.

Drill down to that screen during playback, and you`ll see the sample rate. If high res is on, you'll see that. If it's off, it'll display 48kHz as the sample rate.

It's experimental, and has been created for a few phones. I'm sure the dev is working on the HTC 10, and it's mystery DAC. But not knowing what it is, makes the development harder.

May 29, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #167 of 1,164

With hi res on I can see 192kHz for both "Selected" and "Actual".

With hi res off I can still see 192kHz for "Selected" but nothing (a dash actually, see below) for "Actual". Not sure what it means?

Anyhow, for some reasons the sound is more airy and mids are much more "forward" with Hi Res turned off...
Go figure...

May 29, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #168 of 1,164
It's great that you're getting full performance from the DAC when you have High res on. Where some people are having trouble with the 10 is FFW or skipping songs. The app freezes. I don't know if you've experienced that, but that's the complaint with PowerAmp right now.

May 29, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #169 of 1,164
It's great that you're getting full performance from the DAC when you have High res on. Where some people are having trouble with the 10 is FFW or skipping songs. The app freezes. I don't know if you've experienced that, but that's the complaint with PowerAmp right now.

Try foobar mobile. It is better sound quality, still lack of features, but is better performer than power amp

May 29, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #170 of 1,164

Okay.  I have a V10, which is one of the phones mentioned in the .703 release notes as being supported for hi-res.  And for me, it works no problem.  I get all my flacs in 24/44.1.  

Other than turning on the High res option on the HTC 10, do you do any other setting changes?  I'm just trying to help out others, who seem to be having trouble getting it to stay on.

Like I said, it worked great on my V10. When I installed the v.703 on my HTC 10, I made sure all the settings were the same from the V10. I even tried changing a few but it makes no difference. Sometimes it will play 4-5 songs in a row with no problem, but if I change albums or fast forward I get the cannot play error. It's even worse if I have it on shuffle. I guess they have to make some changes to the program for it to be compatible with the HTC? Could that be because of the rumored DAC in the HTC 10? We still don't have s straight answer on whether it has a dedicated DAC or is just using the Snapdragon, right?

Is there a program to display the audio output of the Android system in real time, so I can try some other music players and see which is outputing in native sample rate, and not downsampling to 48kHz? I've seen people post screen shots but I'm not sure what program they're using or if it's a hidden menu in Android

Where did you see those screen shots?

I now know of a few apps that would show the android sample rate. Viper4Android (root required) can show it in driver status. Audio Buffer Size is a test app that can show it without root. Beware that the latter will output weird sounds through your speaker / headphones for a long time when you hit the "Test" button.

If your app is one that attempts to go around the Android audio system, it should have explicit indicators of its sample rate of its own?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jun 2, 2016 at 12:20 AM Post #174 of 1,164

Does anyone use the Dolby enhancements in boomsound. I'm using headphones all the HTC inear, studio pro, ear buds including other profiles sound strange.

I did make a custom audio profile.

I avoid EQ and audio manipulation whenever possible if the playback system is good, which it is here.  I don't care for Dolby, though the audio profile function is decent for those either using unbalanced sounding headphones or who prefer to boost bass, treble, etc.  With good headphones, I prefer to leave the EQ and effects off.

Jun 3, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #175 of 1,164
Have tried Google Play Music app on the 10 and personally still prefer Power Amp Alpha. The latter sounds better (and louder), only gripe is the occasional playback issues when toggling tracks. Also tried Neutron, Onkyo HF Player and Jetaudio and Poweramp Alpha still tops the list. Any other player recommendations as good as Poweramp, or even better in terms of sound quality? Thanks

Jun 3, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #177 of 1,164
Well, I returned my HTC 10 back to T-Mobile. I just prefer to keep my LG V10. The HTC sounded really good with just my Sony XBA-A2 IEM, but I didn't feel it was strong enough to power my Sony MDR-Z7 full size cans. The V10 has no trouble with either and sounds really good (A2 need AUX mode, Z7 triggers high impedance). I also didn't like the way the HTC sounded when using the FiiO E12 to power the Z7. Another factor was because of USB-C I couldn't use my FiiO Q1 DAC. I was just gonna buy an USB-C to Micro adapter, but most of the ones I saw on eBay said the adapter does not support OTG, so I wasn't sure if it would work.

Overall, it was a nice phone but I didn't think it was worth the hassle of trying to sell my V10 to pay for the HTC. The audio didn't blow me away compared to the V10.

Jun 3, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #178 of 1,164
  Well, I returned my HTC 10 back to T-Mobile. I just prefer to keep my LG V10. The HTC sounded really good with just my Sony XBA-A2 IEM, but I didn't feel it was strong enough to power my Sony MDR-Z7 full size cans. The V10 has no trouble with either and sounds really good (A2 need AUX mode, Z7 triggers high impedance). I also didn't like the way the HTC sounded when using the FiiO E12 to power the Z7. Another factor was because of USB-C I couldn't use my FiiO Q1 DAC. I was just gonna buy an USB-C to Micro adapter, but most of the ones I saw on eBay said the adapter does not support OTG, so I wasn't sure if it would work.

Overall, it was a nice phone but I didn't think it was worth the hassle of trying to sell my V10 to pay for the HTC. The audio didn't blow me away compared to the V10.

htc 10 sound better than v10?

Jun 4, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #180 of 1,164
  htc 10 sound better than v10?

They are both good at audio, but the sound signatures are quite different. The HTC 10 is warmer while the V10 is more balanced. I would recommend the HTC 10 if you listen to a lot of bass heavy music like EDM, hip-hop and most pop. The V10 is better for vocal focused music and classical in my opinion. It also has a bigger soundstage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back