Review of the Ultrasone HFI-2400 Headphones
Nov 22, 2010 at 2:17 AM Post #16 of 22
Sick! I might get some of these. I have the HD 650s shipping at the moment, was planning to go the amp+headphones route, but I might send back the 650s and get these instead. Then I dont have to worry about amp synergy and all that crap

Nov 22, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #17 of 22
Try before buy!

Dec 16, 2010 at 9:26 AM Post #18 of 22
may i ask what kind of music were you listening too.? also how long were you able to feel like the headphones were being tight on your ears.

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #20 of 22
Hey guys. I just wanted to confirm what kesslerjesus's review of the HFi-2400. I purchased them about 2 months ago and have noted the same impressions as kessler did. I then had them recabled by Moon Audio with their Silver Dragon V3 cable w/ the hardwire split mod.

Bass
The 2400s claim to fame is definitely the bass. It's big without being bloaty. More on the punchy side and pretty similar to the HFi-580.

Mids
Just as kessler mentioned, they are recessed. This is my only gripe about the 2400s. I mainly listen to rock music and it's very weird having the vocals buried behind the bass and drums. Leading me to assume that these headphones although not the best with rock music, might do very well with electronica music or instrumental music. Listening to St. Vincent's new album Strange Mercy, the bass and instruments are the main focus on these headphones with Annie Clark's vocals taking a back seat. Because of this, the sound just didn't come off right.

Highs
Prior to the recable, the highs I noticed were rolled off. After the recable, the highs became more apparent and definitely sounded better to me. I started hearing details just as reverb decay from recordings. Not that you couldn't before, but with the silver recable it became much more apparent.

Just wanted to say thanks again to kesslerjesus for his honest impressions. After reading them, I'll be most likely looking for a new tube based amp now!
dt880smile.png

Oct 4, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolkencatholic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bass
The 2400s claim to fame is definitely the bass. It's big without being bloaty. More on the punchy side and pretty similar to the HFi-580.

Hey, i got my hands onto a pair of 580s recently as my first pair of high quality headphones. Afterwards i got the chance to try the 2400s on a local store, and their bass blew my mind away...i am seriously considering selling my 580s and buying the 2400s, but after your comment i am starting to wonder whether to do so, mainly because my phones are really new (2-3 weeks)...would you compare the bass of the 580s to the 2400s? Should i just wait for them to burn-in completely? I was seriously impressed by the sound of the 2400s, but if the consensus of the HeadFi community is that i should wait...well i would :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back