Review of the Purepiper DAC A-1 - An excellent 24/96 budget DAC
Jul 27, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #48 of 69
Sorry, I haven't updated this thread - I wasn't subscribed to it so wasn't notified of the recent posts - that should be fixed now with this posting.

I haven't had too much time to devote to this DAC as I got 2 new pieces of equipments & I wanted to devote some time to them - an ACkoDac Sabre based DAC & a new amplifer from Hugh Dean; Naksa. I did give the PurePiper DAC a brief listen & I was impressed with it's sound - it certainly punches above it's $170 - $200 price tag. I had a look inside & was also impressed by the layout & quality of components. I haven't done the mod yet as I wanted to get an idea of the stock sound first. I'm bringing it down to friends house on Friday who is also a reviewer & if he has the time & the inclination, he may want to do a review. If not, I'll be taking it back for a more extended listen. 

Jul 30, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #50 of 69
I'm just back from my friend's house & we didn't have enough time to listen to the Purepiper - too much else to do. I left it with him to have a listen. Will report back when I hear from him.

Sep 12, 2010 at 12:20 PM Post #52 of 69
Hi Jkeny, still no news from your friend side?

Oh ya, for those who are interested, the Purepiper DAC A-1 just did a recent casing redesign and all comes with latest upgrade in sonic, it certainly a looker right now!

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #54 of 69
It seems like there's a new policy - I've been gagged from talking about the Hiface (so I quit) - I posted this & subsequent posts of support were deleted.

This post will also probably be deleted! 

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:47 AM Post #55 of 69

Quote:
It seems like there's a new policy - I've been gagged from talking about the Hiface (so I quit) - I posted this & subsequent posts of support were deleted.

This post will also probably be deleted! 

Thanks for the info.

But the weird thing is that it seems that a post from purepiper was also deleted: I was asking them if they were planning to release a higher end DAC anytime soon. It seems that a lot of posts are getting deleted ...
They also deleted my thread comparing different usb converters (emu 0404 usb vs. Musiland vs. Teralink vs. Hiface) without any explanation. The very least moderators could do is to inform people why posts are deleted.
I have 2 reviews coming on: one about a headphone and another about an interconnect and I am wondering if head-fi is the right place to publish those things. I am really tired of this policy of deleting posts without warning.

Sep 17, 2010 at 5:58 AM Post #56 of 69
I know, I saw purepiper's posts.
confused.gif

All I can imagine is that a new mod has become trigger happy 
biggrin.gif

I never got any explanation or notification of my deleted  posts from a couple of days ago
confused.gif

I've already left but I'm just doing some housekeeping before I go.

@godluvsxs - my friend has just finished & published two reviews which were his priority & I've asked him to do a small review of the purepiper. These things take time, I'm afraid.

My brief impressions of the unit were that it is a fine piece of kit for the money - well built, good components, good sound. I would not hesitate to recommend it to anybody looking for a value for money product. This is not damning praise, it's realistic. I think you would need to spend a lot more to get better performance.

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:02 AM Post #57 of 69
jkeny, since you wish to make a big drama about this publicly, I will say, you were contacted about deleted posts every single time, with the exact rules broken, the details of which are logged with all the moderators.  The same rules I kindly directed you to and which you said you wouldn't break in your very first discussion about your modified Hiface! So claiming ignorance, as you seem to keep doing, wont wash here.  Indeed, if you cannot continue to follow the rules, as you have been directed from the very start, it would indeed be in your best interests to leave Head-fi.

Since people might not be familiar with it, might I direct people to the Head-fi Terms of Service, where it states: 

Quote:
"Member of the Trade" includes (but is not limited to) manufacturers; individuals selling items he or she made for more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; individuals selling items acquired for the primary purpose of resale; individuals performing services (like modifications or any other service) for which the price charged is more than the cost of parts and/or actual shipping charges; dealers; distributors; manufacturer's representatives; importers; magazine and e-zine writers.

"Main Forums" are those forums within Head-Fi not specifically designated as areas for commercial advertising by Members of the Trade.

No Members of the Trade can use his/her business name, product name, brand name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or URL as part of his/her Head-Fi username. All Members of the Trade must contact the forum administrator at jude@head-fi.org to notify him of an interest in posting before making any posts. If a forum member who was not previously a Member of the Trade becomes a Member of the Trade, he must notify the forum administrator of the change in status. After notification of the "Member of the Trade" status, the forum administrator will then add the appropriate tag (Audio Dealer, Manufacturer, Distributor, etc.) to the appropriate profile(s).

A Member of the Trade may not--via the forums, Private Messaging, or Head-Fi's e-mail relay function--volunteer any information about a specific product that he is selling or making, in response to a general request for information about a type of product or in any other discussion in the Main Forums.

A Member of the Trade may not post announcements, advertisements, sales information or the like about a product he makes or sells in the Main Forums, via Private Messaging, or via Head-Fi's e-mail relay function.

No advertising by Members of the Trade that is not pre-approved by the Head-Fi administrators is allowed in the member forums. Some sponsors have Branded Sponsor Forums in which they will be allowed to advertise their wares. There will also be designated areas and forums where sponsors and non-sponsors alike will be able to advertise their wares. Head-Fi is most definately NOT anti-trade. In fact, trade members are a welcome and vital part of the Head-Fi community. However, Head-Fi's Main Forums, its Private Messaging System, or its e-mail relay function are not to be used for unsolicited self promotion and advertising of audio products or services.

As such, it is inappropriate for a Member of the Trade to be discussing a product they make, modify or sell.  This is exactly the same for every Member of the Trade. It is not new policy, and has been this way for many years. Suffice to say, posts or threads are deleted where they break the rules, are off-topic, thread-crapping or trolling, spam, or quote posts that were deleted.

Further to this, moderation is not discussed publicly on Head-fi, it is between a person affected and the moderators.    While it may seem draconian, I'm afraid to say there will be no further in-thread discussion of this issue, as it is inappropriate and off-topic. If anyone has any questions, they are free to PM myself or another moderator for clarification, but please do not ask in this (or any other) thread.

Sep 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #58 of 69

Quote:
Since people might not be familiar with it, might I direct people to the Head-fi Terms of Service, where it states: 

As such, it is inappropriate for a Member of the Trade to be discussing a product they make, modify or sell.  This is exactly the same for every Member of the Trade. It is not new policy, and has been this way for many years. Suffice to say, posts or threads are deleted where they break the rules, are off-topic, thread-crapping or trolling, spam, or quote posts that were deleted.

Further to this, moderation is not discussed publicly on Head-fi, it is between a person affected and the moderators.  If anyone has any questions, they are free to PM myself or another moderator for clarification.    

Thanks for the clarification Currawong.

Sep 18, 2010 at 11:09 AM Post #59 of 69

Quote:
Oh ya, for those who are interested, the Purepiper DAC A-1 just did a recent casing redesign and all comes with latest upgrade in sonic, it certainly a looker right now!

BTW, here are the pictures of the new dac a-1, it looks very nice!

Shots of the internals:

Just to be clear, the unit I reviewed was the former model. The newer model seems to be using 3 coupling capacitors per channel (instead of 2 for the model I tested) as well as a few changes on the resistor values. Those mods are supposed to give a boost in the performance (and I have no reason to doubt that).
How much improvement would that be? I have no idea. But what I can say is that even in its old form, it was an excellent performer under $200.
Personally I found that the Hiface+Purepiper DAC A-1 very convincing and more natural sounding than a €3000 3DLab I auditioned at the time I still had the Purepiper review sample. The 3D Lab player was a little bit more detailed but was artificial sounding in comparison.

Oct 8, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #60 of 69
Yes they do look rather slick.  I did like the industrial look of the older models also though.
You're impressed with the Hiface+A1 system, is the transport and DAC all stock or is any of it modded?
Have you had a chance to test their USB to S/Pdif module?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back