Review of the JVC HA-FXH30 by B9Scrambler
Oct 24, 2015 at 8:34 AM Post #136 of 260
I think these do benefit from burn-in, although I didn't do it directly myself, just hours of normal use. The driver loosens up; bass becomes a little stronger and texture becomes more apparent. Highs also become a little smoother, not to say they were not smooth before - in fact I'd be fine if they stayed edgier but the overall presentation improves so no big deal. 

These are now definitely my favored sub US$100 IEMs, as far as pure sound goes. That includes the Tenores, KC06A, and E80 - all technically proficient and playing in price ranges well above what I paid, but FXH30 fits my tastes the best. 

They do seem to be disappearing - wanted to recommend them to someone but they're out of stock on valuebasket and the Amazon sellers seem to coming direct from Japan and don't seem to ship worldwide. Maybe just a lull in supply but don't hesitate if you're interested. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #137 of 260
I think these do benefit from burn-in, although I didn't do it directly myself, just hours of normal use. The driver loosens up; bass becomes a little stronger and texture becomes more apparent. Highs also become a little smoother, not to say they were not smooth before - in fact I'd be fine if they stayed edgier but the overall presentation improves so no big deal. 

These are now definitely my favored sub US$100 IEMs, as far as pure sound goes. That includes the Tenores, KC06A, and E80 - all technically proficient and playing in price ranges well above what I paid, but FXH30 fits my tastes the best. 

They do seem to be disappearing - wanted to recommend them to someone but they're out of stock on valuebasket and the Amazon sellers seem to coming direct from Japan and don't seem to ship worldwide. Maybe just a lull in supply but don't hesitate if you're interested. 

They do indeed seem to benefit from extended play time. I agree with all the changes mentioned and personally am glad their highs smoother out further. The Titan 1 can fill in if I want something a bit edgier. Speaking of which, I have both with me today and still think the FXH30 is the better sound phone.

Too bad that they seem to be disappearing...they're such a good iem at their current price. Hoping to pick up the FXH10 and 20 at some point to see how the entire lineup is.

Oct 24, 2015 at 5:24 PM Post #138 of 260
I'm a bit disappointed with the FXH-30 coming from the 20, especially considering the premium in price. I'd go so far as to call it a FXH-20 Bass Edition. You're not paying for a better sound, but for a different sound and I don't really think it's worth the extra money unless you're looking for absolute bass response. 

Oct 24, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #139 of 260
The 20 more balanced?? Typically they add a bit more bass and treble and end up a little more V for the top model. Is that the case here? I had that thought process and checked the prices on the gold 20 more than the 30 in case I felt the urge to buy one.

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:20 PM Post #140 of 260
  The 20 more balanced?? Typically they add a bit more bass and treble and end up a little more V for the top model. Is that the case here? I had that thought process and checked the prices on the gold 20 more than the 30 in case I felt the urge to buy one.

I thought the FXD70 was the most balanced of the FXD series? I felt the FRD60/80 offered up basically the same signature, just the FRD80 was much more refined. I went for the FXH30 based on this thought process, lol (plus it looks odd without that vent up top)

I still want to try out the FXH20, but love the FXH30's bass presence so bet I'd miss it. If they offered the FXH20 with a mic, those I would scoop up immediately (esp. if using the same inline mic as the FRD80...that mic is amazing).

Oct 24, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #141 of 260
Seemingly the same with the FXT's. LTD is bassiest, 200 closest to balanced, and 100 is a bit more mid-centric.

Truth be told I like the gold color as much as anything. Would like the cool green of the FXH10 the best but I'm thinking they are a step below since they drop to a single magnet driver and they don't even include the cool JVC cable clip.

Oct 24, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #142 of 260
I think the 20 is worth a try for the owners of the 30's since it takes on a different approach to the signature. The 30 delivers deep bass response and smoothness at the expense of treble detail and timbre. The 20 is transparent and natural because of the realistic decay. The low end may not satisfy bass heads though because it's leaner and and sub bass is less impactful.

Oct 25, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #143 of 260
Oct 25, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #144 of 260

Reading others' opinions and JVC advertorials online, I half-expected the 20 and 30 would be qualitative equals that sound different, but once I heard them in Tokyo, the 30 felt "obviously" like a top model in the typical Japanese way, in the exact way you described.

So the 30 is more peaky, and the 20 is more natural because it's not groomed to top the other models. I've seen this happen with Japanese products of every kind.

Unfortunately II couldn't commit to either IEM, because my ears refuse to work with micro drivers in general. I've tried at least a dozen and the fitment issues won't go away.

Oct 26, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #145 of 260

What kind of music do you listen to?

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #146 of 260
  What kind of music do you listen to?

In general, a combination of rock and EDM. 

With these, I mostly keep them at work where I try in vain to keep up with a bunch of EDM subscriptions on youtube. Monstercat, SuicideSheep, Artic Empire, Liquicity, Galaxy, Tasty, xKito, Diversity, and others. Drum and Bass is my favourite genre but there are examples of nearly every genre I enjoy, hence the variety of channels; Trap is an exception so far but I've been taught more than once not to write off a genre entirely.

Oct 26, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #147 of 260
In general, a combination of rock and EDM. 

With these, I mostly keep them at work where I try in vain to keep up with a bunch of EDM subscriptions on youtube. Monstercat, SuicideSheep, Artic Empire, Liquicity, Galaxy, Tasty, xKito, Diversity, and others. Drum and Bass is my favourite genre but there are examples of nearly every genre I enjoy, hence the variety of channels; Trap is an exception so far but I've been taught more than once not to write off a genre entirely.

Dude, if not already subbed, definitely check out SubSil3nt Podcast on YouTube. His mixes are top quality. Been following his channel since the beginning.

Nov 9, 2015 at 6:39 AM Post #149 of 260
Some good coverage of the entire FXH lineup. You may need to translate it and then translate that, but it's easy enough to figure out, haha.

http://www.jmplus.com.tw/2015/02/jvc-fxh.html?m=1

Now that more has come out about them since their release, I realize they use a dual magnet structure. Guess that's where that speed is coming from. For those of you that are still using these, have you found any other tips that work well with them?

@cove66 Sorry! Didn't see your question...not that I can provide a helpful response since I've never heard the EX-650, but still, at least it has been acknowledged. 
redface.gif

Nov 9, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #150 of 260

Users who are viewing this thread

Back