Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Jun 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM Post #76 of 437
Anyone compare the Meier Corda Jazz to the Lehmann Black Cube. I am using the the Jazz with Audiolab M-DAC and HD800 and find the sound satisfying but I wonder if going with the Lehmann would make things any better. I know the price difference between the two amps is substantial. Thanks

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:52 AM Post #77 of 437
Sorry, but I've never heard a Lehman.

Jun 10, 2013 at 7:42 PM Post #78 of 437
Well, Im sad to say that after a year and two months with my Jazz, I've decided to move on.... ...to a bigger Meier :) Taking advantage of Jan's spring sale and have a Corda Classic and Daccord on the way. The Jazz will be getting less playing time, but still plan to keep it around...it's too good to part with.

Jun 10, 2013 at 9:19 PM Post #79 of 437
Quote:
Well, Im sad to say that after a year and two months with my Jazz, I've decided to move on.... ...to a bigger Meier :) Taking advantage of Jan's spring sale and have a Corda Classic and Daccord on the way. The Jazz will be getting less playing time, but still plan to keep it around...it's too good to part with.

Yeah the sale is really tempting. Only thing I just bought my Jazz 4 months ago. How was your experience with Jazz and T1. I have heard that the Corda Classic is a considerable step up from the Jazz. Although when I asked Jan he was more tame in his response just saying it sounds a little better and has more advanced crossfeed functionality. Keep us posted regarding the difference between the Classic and the Jazz.  

Jun 10, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #80 of 437
Quote:
Yeah the sale is really tempting. Only thing I just bought my Jazz 4 months ago. How was your experience with Jazz and T1. I have heard that the Corda Classic is a considerable step up from the Jazz. Although when I asked Jan he was more tame in his response just saying it sounds a little better and has more advanced crossfeed functionality. Keep us posted regarding the difference between the Classic and the Jazz.  

Jan is always very honest in his feedback, which is a big reason why I always trust what he says. He gave me some very good feedback on the T1s after I had initially picked up some DT880s and felt as though something was missing. He's a big fan of both the Beyer and Sennheiser phones. I trusted his opinion and took advantage of the T1/Jazz combo deal and I've been very happy with this pairing for over a year now. I have not owned a lot of headamps, but I have spent over ten years very involved with hifi, and I have a really solid grasp on the type of sound I like. The Jazz is a very neutral amp that does it's job very well and it has really allowed the T1s to shine. I briefly had a Fiio E9, which is a well regarded budget amp, but to my ears the Jazz was significantly better. The sound is just smooth and effortless and part of my motivation for the upgrade to the Classic is to get "more of a good thing". Once I find something that does it for me, I tend to be pretty loyal, and it was an easy decision to send Jan a few more bucks. 

Something else that I found interesting was that the Jazz takes my DT1350s to a whole new level. These little portables are fantastic phones...and I usually just listen straight from my iPhone or Kindle, cause the sound is great. But when there was discussion in the 1350 thread about how they scale up, I played around with the Jazz one night and was really surprised at the difference. The 1350s developed a  bunch more "thump" and the crispness of the sound was really something. Even though they are very easy to drive, the Jazz just took hold of them and really showed its stuff. 

As you know, the crossfeed on the Jazz is very subtle, so I'm excited to have a more robust version of a great circuit. I'll definitely post some impressions of the Jazz vs Classic once I get some time with the new stuff...I could be very happy with just the Jazz for a long time to come, so any improvements with the Classic is just icing on the cake. 

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:14 AM Post #81 of 437
Quote:

As you saw in the other thread, my wallet greives along with yours for the exact same reason, although my Jazz is going to my desk at work, and my StepDance 1gen will go into well-deserved "strategic reserve".

Jun 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #82 of 437
@Focker - You will LOVE your T1 with the Classic! To my ears the T1 sounds the best I have heard them when I use my Concerto.

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #83 of 437
Quote:
@Focker - You will LOVE your T1 with the Classic! To my ears the T1 sounds the best I have heard them when I use my Concerto.

Ah man, I can't wait. Buying the Jazz from Jan last year was one of the best decisions I've made in audio, and I can't wait to go "full Meier" lol. I've already had three people ask me if I was going to sell my Jazz when the Classic gets here....no WAY, man! Just like Avi said, the Jazz will simply be relegated to another room or something, but I'm not parting with it. And if I remember right, Ras, your posts were some of the ones that really helped me to decide to go with Meier to begin with. I'm almost positive I saw some stuff you said about Jan last year...so thanks! lol

Jun 11, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #84 of 437
Quote:
As you saw in the other thread, my wallet greives along with yours for the exact same reason, although my Jazz is going to my desk at work, and my StepDance 1gen will go into well-deserved "strategic reserve".

Mine wasn't hurting too bad until I found out in the late afternoon on Monday that I was losing my job at the end of the year...then it started stinging a bit! lol

Jun 11, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #85 of 437
Quote:

Mine wasn't hurting too bad until I found out in the late afternoon on Monday that I was losing my job at the end of the year...then it started stinging a bit! lol

Thanks for the post about the Jazz. Its nice to hear from people who share the same gear and are passionate about it. You can always spend more and more in this hobby to achieve that ultimate sound. I think I will hang on to it for sometime enough to save up for the classic. Good luck with the job side of things. 

Jun 12, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #87 of 437
Quote:

Ah man, I can't wait. Buying the Jazz from Jan last year was one of the best decisions I've made in audio, and I can't wait to go "full Meier" lol. I've already had three people ask me if I was going to sell my Jazz when the Classic gets here....no WAY, man! Just like Avi said, the Jazz will simply be relegated to another room or something, but I'm not parting with it. And if I remember right, Ras, your posts were some of the ones that really helped me to decide to go with Meier to begin with. I'm almost positive I saw some stuff you said about Jan last year...so thanks! lol

Ha ha you are most welcome! In fact I was VERY close to buying a Jazz because of Shoggys review - even though I had the Concerto and did not need another amplifier at all. I just loved the pictures so much and they almost convinced my that I needed another amplifier. I have been a fan of all the Meier products for a long time. I am also keeping my Concerto even though I am not using it much these days. My Tzar 350, Beyerdynamic T5p and DT-1350 are driven nicely from the Quickstep or AHA-120. Being transportable is more convenient for me at the moment since I do not have a good place for listening with the Concerto. I have a plan of getting a T1 or maybe a HD800 again some day and then the Concerto can come back to work. That is if I will ever get room for open headphones again - with kids and everything going on in the house all the time. 
regular_smile .gif

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #88 of 437
Quote:
As you know, the crossfeed on the Jazz is very subtle…

That's one of the things I like most about it. When using software based crossfeeds (like Rockbox—prior to their software implementation of Meier—or foobar) no matter what parameters I pick, there is invariably a (usually subtle but noticeable) change in sound quality—often a shift away from clean bass and treble and move to the "middle".

When flipping the Corda switch, the only difference I pick up is that the sound is no longer "dental floss between the ears" but has moved "forward" just enough to protect the headache. The channel separation is still there, and panning drum solos still move from left to right cleanly, but the best I can explain it is that they move in an arc an inch or so in front of me instead of through a tube connecting my ear canals inside my head.

This is classic Meier philosophy, I believe. Do not affect the sound, just make it louder so that the natural sounds can be heard. If the mastering is poor, the result will be poor and vice versa. No added color, no added warmth, no added coolness, just a transfer between source and can. And, of course, flat black when nothing is being played.

beyersmile.png

Jun 12, 2013 at 11:25 AM Post #89 of 437
Quote:
Quote:

frown.gif

Hope you get good news on the occupation front soon!

Jun 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM Post #90 of 437
Quote:
Ha ha you are most welcome! In fact I was VERY close to buying a Jazz because of Shoggys review - even though I had the Concerto and did not need another amplifier at all. I just loved the pictures so much and they almost convinced my that I needed another amplifier. I have been a fan of all the Meier products for a long time. I am also keeping my Concerto even though I am not using it much these days. My Tzar 350, Beyerdynamic T5p and DT-1350 are driven nicely from the Quickstep or AHA-120. Being transportable is more convenient for me at the moment since I do not have a good place for listening with the Concerto. I have a plan of getting a T1 or maybe a HD800 again some day and then the Concerto can come back to work. That is if I will ever get room for open headphones again - with kids and everything going on in the house all the time. 
regular_smile%20.gif

Heck yeah, the sound quality we can achieve with a portable rig is pretty nuts...Up until a year and a half ago I had absolutely no idea. I'm likely going to get one of Jan's portable amps later this year, as well. I really don't understand why more people aren't sending Jan money...this gear is built like a tank, it sounds fantastic (and I'm typically NOT a solid state guy at all), and the crossfeed circuit is just brilliant. People are missing out on some great gear!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back