Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Jun 12, 2013 at 9:46 PM Post #91 of 439
Quote:
frown.gif

Hope you get good news on the occupation front soon!

Thanks so much, man...I hope so, too! 

You have a fantastic way of explaining/describing things, by the way...what you said about the crossfeed was spot on!

Check this out, guys...it sure looks like the Meier stack was just meant to be....it fits within my headphone stand absolutely PERFECTLY. Another half inch in any direction and it would be a no-go. I just hope it's okay to run them like this. I sent Jan an email to ask, and I'll monitor to make sure the amp isn't getting too hot. But honestly, can you believe the fit??

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #92 of 439
Quote:
Thanks so much, man...I hope so, too! 

You have a fantastic way of explaining/describing things, by the way...what you said about the crossfeed was spot on!

Check this out, guys...it sure looks like the Meier stack was just meant to be....it fits within my headphone stand absolutely PERFECTLY. Another half inch in any direction and it would be a no-go. I just hope it's okay to run them like this. I sent Jan an email to ask, and I'll monitor to make sure the amp isn't getting too hot. But honestly, can you believe the fit??

Wow looks really nice. Awesome setup.

Jun 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM Post #93 of 439
Quote:

Thank you!

Jun 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #94 of 439
Quote:
That's one of the things I like most about it. When using software based crossfeeds (like Rockbox—prior to their software implementation of Meier—or foobar) no matter what parameters I pick, there is invariably a (usually subtle but noticeable) change in sound quality—often a shift away from clean bass and treble and move to the "middle".

When flipping the Corda switch, the only difference I pick up is that the sound is no longer "dental floss between the ears" but has moved "forward" just enough to protect the headache. The channel separation is still there, and panning drum solos still move from left to right cleanly, but the best I can explain it is that they move in an arc an inch or so in front of me instead of through a tube connecting my ear canals inside my head.

This is classic Meier philosophy, I believe. Do not affect the sound, just make it louder so that the natural sounds can be heard. If the mastering is poor, the result will be poor and vice versa. No added color, no added warmth, no added coolness, just a transfer between source and can. And, of course, flat black when nothing is being played.

beyersmile.png

24 hours into this and you are just SO DAMN SPOT ON with what you said in the paragraph I highlighted...it coincides with what Jan described as "less mental stress" by not having what you described as the dental floss between the ears. Oddly enough, I'm really appreciating the crossfeed watching a stand up comedy routine on Netflix...the presentation is clearly more natural and you described it perfectly how it's sort of more out in front as opposed to beaming across your head from ear to ear. And YES, the actual qualities of the sound(s) are not altered at all...everything is perfectly presented as it was recorded...this is really cool. Jan is a damn genius! 

Jun 14, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #96 of 439
Yesterday I experienced what Avi pointed out about the crossfeed function on Jazz. I was listening to an album of Tony Bennnett and Dave Brubeck, The White house Session Live 1962 and the first song Take Five shows the crossfeed function beautifully. I have to be honest it was the first time I really understood what the crossfeed function was doing. Avi great description of the crossfeed function. I personally Jan Meier should put that up on his website. 

Jun 14, 2013 at 4:02 PM Post #97 of 439
I really appreciated the crossfeed on my Arietta (a predecessor to the Jazz).  It was most apparent to me when I was playing Skyrim.  For example, something directly next to me on my right side could only be heard through the right channel.  This sounds really unnatural and started to annoy me after some time, then I remembered I had the crossfeed switch!  After I flipped it on the entire environment sounded more natural.  We don't hear something next to us only through one ear, we hear the sound attenuated (and VERY slightly delayed due to speed of sound) in the other ear as well and this is all the crossfeed circuit really does.  It really really helps what you are listening in situations where the sound just isn't very natural.  Sadly, I am selling my Meier amp with its crossfeed, but I am really going to miss that switch!

Jun 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #98 of 439
Quote:
Yesterday I experienced what Avi pointed out about the crossfeed function on Jazz. I was listening to an album of Tony Bennnett and Dave Brubeck, The White house Session Live 1962 and the first song Take Five shows the crossfeed function beautifully. I have to be honest it was the first time I really understood what the crossfeed function was doing. Avi great description of the crossfeed function. I personally Jan Meier should put that up on his website. 

I completely agree! 

Jun 15, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #99 of 439
I have found that if I keep the Jazz turned on overnight the next day it sounds much much better. Its like a completely different amp. I get almost a 3 dimensional fully immersive experience. Has anybody else noticed this? And another question can keep a amp switched on 24hrs eventually damage it?

Jun 15, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #100 of 439
Sounds interesting. I will have to give it a try right now. I will go to bed in a few minutes and let it stay on overnight.

I do not think that this will really harm the amp directly but like any other electronic part they have a specific run time before they malfunction in some way. So in the end the question might be is it OK for you that the amp might fail in 5 years instead of 15 years when you keep it on most of the time - the numbers are just a stupid example. I have no idea how long it will take in reality but I am sure it will decrease the overall lifetime of the device.

So I do not recommend to let it turned on all the time. Also keep in mind that it will generate unnecessary electricity costs.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:44 PM Post #101 of 439
Quote:
I have found that if I keep the Jazz turned on overnight the next day it sounds much much better. Its like a completely different amp. I get almost a 3 dimensional fully immersive experience. Has anybody else noticed this? And another question can keep a amp switched on 24hrs eventually damage it?

The most damaging thing to an amp durring normal operation is actually powering it up due to the sudden current draw, which is usually much higher than its normal operating range.  So it doesn't really damage an amp to leave it on all the time.  Even so, I don't leave any amps on all day so they don't run up my electric bill.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #102 of 439
Quote:
The most damaging thing to an amp durring normal operation is actually powering it up due to the sudden current draw, which is usually much higher than its normal operating range.  So it doesn't really damage an amp to leave it on all the time.  Even so, I don't leave any amps on all day so they don't run up my electric bill.

I just like to give them the chance to cool down once in a while. Heat is the number one thing that causes premature aging of electronics. My computer is liquid cooled, I am just waiting for some audio company to come out with liquid cooled amps.

Jun 16, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #104 of 439
I just like to give them the chance to cool down once in a while. Heat is the number one thing that causes premature aging of electronics. My computer is liquid cooled, I am just waiting for some audio company to come out with liquid cooled amps.

Heat in itself is not a problem. It is the changing of the temperature that is a problem because the size of the pcb and components changes when the temperature shifts. This will at some point make connections break or components wear out. So having it constantly on might be better than turning it on and off. Also as mentioned above the power shock when turning on is a big wear on the product. But then again we always need an excuse to buy a new Meier amp once in a while so I try to be as hard on the Concerto as I can in order to get an excuse to buy the classic - I guess I have to wait to many years :)

Jun 16, 2013 at 3:11 AM Post #105 of 439
Hey Guys...

I've been playing around with some different configurations and I can confidently state that the Jazz paired with the Daccord DAC sounds VERY close to the Daccord/Classic combo. In fact, I can't even really put my finger on what I'm hearing when I go back to the Classic/Daccord. It's definitely not a huge step up from the Jazz, but there is a difference. The tonality sounds identical between both amps, and both amps drive the T1s beautifully. Surprisingly, the bigger difference was when I used the Classic amp and switched between the AudioEngine D1 dac and the Daccord. Still with no crossfeed engaged, the imaging was clearly better on the Meier piece. The best way I can describe it would be to say that the ensemble came into better focus. With the D1 the instruments and vocals are a bit more blended and less "crisp". The Daccord presents a very lifelike scale and clearly allows you to identify each aspect of the music. Another quality I really like is the "thwack" factor. I don't know the technical term for it, but it's when things like drums just have more of an impact, which is more consistent with how it really sounds with live music. Strings just sound off the charts with the Daccord. I've mentioned on head-fi previously how much I like the way Jack Johnson's albums are recorded, and with the Daccord it sounds as if he's literally sitting across from me with his guitar. It feels like it's the audio equivalent of going from 20/40 vision to 20/20 vision. Things just become so much more clear and distinct.

I truly did not expect it would turn out this way. I figured the DACs would sound about the same and it would be the amps that were different. I think if I were using a headphone that was a bit more difficult to drive, the Classic would set itself apart from the Jazz a bit more. Still, there is a small difference there, I just need to listen more in order to better put my finger on it. I've love to see what the Classic can do with something like a pair of Audeze or HifiMan phones at some point. 

I'm very pleased with this purchase...Even though Meier Audio has a following here on head-fi, I think this DAC would qualify as one of the best kept secrets in audio. This DAC would be great for a full speaker rig, as well, since it has the variable outputs. Just connect your power amp to the Daccord, hook in your source, and you have a helluva front end. I've also installed the drivers on my laptop so that I can use the USB functionality. So far it's worked absolutey perfectly. I didn't realize that the Daccord had as much functionality as it does. 

But if you have a Jazz and are in the market for a DAC, this Daccord is a GREAT option! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back