Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Jun 30, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #287 of 437
HD700 - Jazz ff or Classic ff?

All kinds of music, classical, rock, jazz, film scores, acoustic, vocals.....

What about a Gustard H10? Seems to be a really good SS amp match for HD 800 and HD 700.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/g...ss-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier.735828/

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gustard-h10

I'll be having a couple H10's coming in (one to act as a standard and another to test Opamp configurations on) and plan to compare against the JAZZ-ff. I'm sure the Classic-ff would be the Meir to get no matter what headphone... higher capacitance with stronger, more developed crossfeed ability.

Jul 10, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #288 of 437
I'm looking at the Jazz for my HE-500s and while the technology is impressive, I'm concerned about the audible distortion one poster measured past 3 o'clock on both gain settings, as well as the headroom that would be available since I listen to a lot of orchestral and jazz.

Jul 11, 2017 at 4:47 PM Post #289 of 437
I'm looking at the Jazz for my HE-500s and while the technology is impressive, I'm concerned about the audible distortion one poster measured past 3 o'clock on both gain settings, as well as the headroom that would be available since I listen to a lot of orchestral and jazz.
I listen to Orchestral music almost exclusively.... that 32 stepped (64 for the Classic) volume control is just made for wide dynamics music.

I think anyone listening to this music is really cheating themselves out of quite a bit of "performance dynamics" if they have to listen at a volume level past 11:30 or 12 O'clock volume level to achieve a greater "Dynamic Feel" to the music. Greater volume doesn't necessarily equate to greater dynamics,in fact it might even be decreasing the 'window' of audibility of them slightly.

I think it's more a matter of using the gain setting that will better track the headphone you're using Impedance curve. I'm not particularly convinced you can always put the blame of audible distortion on an amplifier as being responsible for it.

I tend to feel that most Acoustical music recordings (even a great portion of the Jazz recording) aren't as prone to distortion problems as other types of recording (That's not to say I think that many of the Recording Engineers should stop letting Producers destroy their work; Or am I ?) (Couldn't help myself here;but if the Shoe Fits.......)

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2017 at 4:35 AM Post #291 of 437
Aug 26, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #293 of 437
Dear Headfellows,

this week I finally managed to get the one-box-prototypes running.

It hasn't been an easy job. Especially because the compiler software to create the programm for the DSP was found to be rather "buggy".

But the sonic results right now are already quite spectacular.

Now I will start to do some fine-tuning and optimize the functionality of the software.

In around two weeks I hope to post some pictures as well as a description of the many functions (headphone crossfeed, loudspeaker crossfeed, 5-band equalisation, variable notch-filter, balance). Hopefully Head-Fi will allow me to post at this forum, otherwise I will create a website with the info.

Cheers

Jan

Aug 27, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #294 of 437
Dear Headfellows,

this week I finally managed to get the one-box-prototypes running.

It hasn't been an easy job. Especially because the compiler software to create the programm for the DSP was found to be rather "buggy".

But the sonic results right now are already quite spectacular.

Now I will start to do some fine-tuning and optimize the functionality of the software.

In around two weeks I hope to post some pictures as well as a description of the many functions (headphone crossfeed, loudspeaker crossfeed, 5-band equalisation, variable notch-filter, balance). Hopefully Head-Fi will allow me to post at this forum, otherwise I will create a website with the info.

Cheers

Jan

Looking forward to hear it!

Aug 28, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #295 of 437
I think I am looking forward to be in Berlin in November now....? :beyersmile:

Sep 2, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #296 of 437
I heard two prototype versions of this and they were stunning! Something to look forward to.
Thanks for this information. Based on what i read here and there Jan's products are more on the neutral "side"; exactly what i want to use, and my secret desire
would be an european GS-X MK2 competitor ( or killer, who knows ? ) even if the Classic ( the classic one -is the FF closer to the GSX ?- ) is a serious one, considering only the single end, according to this review :

The Meier was the surprise sleeper in the mix of this review. The Meier is designed by Jan Meier in Germany and built in China. The single ended amplifier is very impressive for a single ended design with an exceptional sounding cross-feed feature. The Classic performed extremely well in single ended mode when comparing it to the Mk2 single ended circuitry. The Classic was a little less transparent but had the same excellent way of not getting in the way of the music. The Classic is well designed and engineered, and is a nice solution for people on a budget looking for single ended amplification. The Classic did not embarrass itself against the GSX Mk2. But playing some of the same recordings, and then switching to the balanced side, really showed that the GSX was superior. The GSX sound stage and instrument separation outdistanced the Classic by a large margin. There was more transparency and a deeper silence to the background.
https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/04/11/headamp-gsx-mk2/

Sep 8, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #300 of 437

Users who are viewing this thread

Back