Review of Meier Audio Corda JAZZ with ƒƒ-technology upgrade
Mar 26, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #271 of 437
My experience too. The fruit of Jan's training in biophysics and his astute electronic design skills IMHO.

Haha, yes. I admire Dr. Meier's humble and modest perspective about himself not being an electrical engineer as he has emphasized before (his PhD is in biomedical engineering!). While it's obvious that his creations are some of the best in the world of hi-fi, and I imagine lots of electrical engineers are highly impressed by his work!

Mar 27, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #272 of 437
My Corda Jazz has arrived. I'm pleased with the sound and the crossfeed. As I said before, when an instrument is playing only in one ear or the sound in jumping frantically from one ear to the other is like hell for me, the crossfeed makes these effects more speaker-like. Crossfeed music should be considered normal in headphones, since it resembles a lot more to the speaker sound.

The power LED is very aggressive though, and it protrudes, so it's hard to cover. I have to find a way to disconnect it or cover it in some way. I tried to turn the face of the amp away, but it looks strange and hard to use. It's the most powerful LED I've seen in any electronic device.

It looks a lot better than my iFi iCan SE, solid, serious, not like a flimsy toy.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:26 PM Post #273 of 437
If you think the JAZZ-ff has an intense LED, try the LED on a Schiit Bifrost - white and intense! The one thing that bugs me about it. I'm much more pleased with the one on the JAZZ-ff.

i-MwqvmS2.jpg

Mar 28, 2017 at 10:20 AM Post #274 of 437
If you think the JAZZ-ff has an intense LED, try the LED on a Schiit Bifrost - white and intense! The one thing that bugs me about it. I'm much more pleased with the one on the JAZZ-ff.

i-MwqvmS2.jpg

Is it a multibit Bifrost? I was thinking about adding it to my Jazz ff several times already.

Mar 28, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #275 of 437
I have experience with one Schiit multibit dac (Yggdrasil). It pairs superbly with the Meier Classic (not yet ff).

Slightly off topic - as this is not the Meier Stagedac or Daccord thread - meantime the stagedac is what I use in my office, second only to the Yggdrasil. I prefer it to e.g. the Eastern Electric MiniMax DAC (version 1) and the BMC Puredac.

Apr 19, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #278 of 437
Hi, I have audio-gd DAC-19 and Corda Jazz-FF driving HD650 and I can hear music clearly even if i turn down the volume to the lowest value and low gain. Does anyone know if that is expected behavior (because of too 'hot' dac output) ?

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #279 of 437
With my T1 I can also still hear the music when the Corda Jazz is turned all the way down on low gain, but usually very faint on most normal recordings.

If it's still too loud I suppose the only thing you can do is turn the volume down digitally with whatever software you are using. Should be fine, personally I'm not buying any of the myths about audible sound quality loss due to turning the volume down using software :)

With that said, I don't think the Jazz was designed to use with very sensitive headphones, but regardless of that it is very versatile assuming the input signal is at line level.

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:20 PM Post #280 of 437
  How did you get the special DT990 made for Shoggy ?

My headphones are from the MANUFAKTUR series where you can select from different materials, colors etc. and you can also have a personal engraving 
wink.gif

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #281 of 437
  With my T1 I can also still hear the music when the Corda Jazz is turned all the way down on low gain, but usually very faint on most normal recordings.

If it's still too loud I suppose the only thing you can do is turn the volume down digitally with whatever software you are using. Should be fine, personally I'm not buying any of the myths about audible sound quality loss due to turning the volume down using software :)

With that said, I don't think the Jazz was designed to use with very sensitive headphones, but regardless of that it is very versatile assuming the input signal is at line level.

Thanks for the info. I have no issue with hearing sound when it's turned down, just wanted to know if that was expected and not a malfunction.

Apr 19, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #282 of 437
Thanks for the info. I have no issue with hearing sound when it's turned down, just wanted to know if that was expected and not a malfunction.

Yes, perfectly normal for sound to play at a low volume level with the JAZ-ff knob all the way down. Both the Schiit Bifrost DAC and Audioquest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp I have do this with the JAZZ-ff amp.

May 18, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #283 of 437
When I opened my Corda Jazz I saw that one of the power leads had over half of the strands snapped, not tied to the PCB, I don't know if because of my manipulation or it was already like that. It has about 10-12 strands and only about 4-5 were still glued to the pcb. I put it back like that and used it for several days without problem but can anybody tell me if it's dangerous, if the cable can overheat or melt or the performance be impacted by this? Thanks!

May 18, 2017 at 3:39 PM Post #284 of 437
When I opened my Corda Jazz I saw that one of the power leads had over half of the strands snapped, not tied to the PCB, I don't know if because of my manipulation or it was already like that. It has about 10-12 strands and only about 4-5 were still glued to the pcb. I put it back like that and used it for several days without problem but can anybody tell me if it's dangerous, if the cable can overheat or melt or the performance be impacted by this? Thanks!
Please post a picture. But honestly, you might want to have that repaired.

May 18, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #285 of 437
I can't take a pic because I only have the phone camera at the moment, which is wideangle and not good for this and I've just put it back together and I wouldn't want to fiddle with it. One red cable to the power input is left with about half or less of the metal strands tied to the PCB. Are 4-5 thin strands enough to drive power without overheating or impacting performance?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back