Review of blue dragon v3 detachable cable
Apr 15, 2009 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 42

haloxt

Headphoneus Supremus
Edit, October 1st, 2009: I deleted a complaint, guess no point for it to stay up I think I made my point and I hope things are better now, I appreciate the advice given in later posts on this thread, good info.

Edit, June 26th, 2009: This is probably my last edit to this review because yesterday I hardwired a new blue dragon cable to balance my Pro 900's. I'd like to say that the blue dragon IS capable of properly conveying the emotion of highs but low and mid range are still its strongest points and you are more likely to see improvements there rather than highs. With better equipment the highs improve to a more acceptable level. I like the cable, and I feel safe in recommending it with the caveat that low and mid range are the blue dragon's strong point.

End edit

I've had this cable for two months and since then I've been testing it on the HFI-2200 and Pro 900. The cable compared to stock gives a full/warm/smooth sound, greatly improved soundstage, and incredible bass detail.

The sound signature is not for people who need more highs or speed, but for people looking for an unirritating and intimate sound. Vocals are angelic, instruments know not to be too intrusive, but if you try to listen to discordant violins they become smoothed like the violin players are a little distracted by how beautiful their violins sound and forget they are supposed to make screechy noises.

I think the blue dragon improves the sound-placement so much I had wondered for the few months of owning the HFI-2200 with stock cable what s-logic was until I tried the blue dragon that suddenly made everything fuller and presented perfectly "even" and in-focus, then I knew what s-logic was. But the music feels MUCH closer (I suspect mainly due to better cable and partially due to less prominent highs), like music just flows straight into your mind, again not something for all, but specifically those looking for a relaxing sound. The soundstage sounds much more "even", which allows for higher volume without fatigue in comparison to the stock cable exaggerating some things and muffling others, like a balloon filled with water getting distended.

The best part is the bass I get from blue dragon and Pro 900, it is so real and true it should be illegal. I'm drowning in a sea of bass and I am constantly in awe of how the headphones can give notes such accurate and powerful physical sensation without blowing up, I literally feel lows/mids/highs as much as I hear them. The new large earcups of the Pro 900 are capable of far more bass than what the stock cable allows, stock causes an intermittently weak/powerful bass which IMO may be why some Pro 900 owners say highs and lows occasionally sound metallic. Blue dragon makes the felt bass very powerful, but it actually lets you decipher music better with its bass because what ought to be felt is felt, and what ought to be heard is heard, something the stock Pro 900 with its larger earcups and very accurate drivers tried to do and only half-achieved because of its stock cable.

Conclusions: HFI-2200 and blue dragon gives the most beautiful vocals, so musical and smooth it can be hypnotic, maybe a bit too much for some people. Pro 900 and blue dragon has such amazing bass I have nicknamed my Pro 900 Subsones
tongue.gif
, but, especially with the Pro 900 I've noticed the mellow speed of the blue dragon which would turn off people who are seeking highs/speed. Those looking for a mellow sound signature, I would highly recommend the blue dragon cable.

My test gear was H120 mp3 player (straight out), HT omega claro halo sound card with lm4562's, audio-gd compass dac/amp+custom power cable+Furman AC-215 power conditioner, and various ASIO/H120 optical out as source. And a detachable cable still uses the internal wiring inside the Pro 900, so I can't comment on a hardwired blue dragon cable.

Apr 20, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 42
Nice review, I've been using the blue dragon cable in balanced config for my pro 900s as well. I experienced great improvement in the sound compared to the stock SE cable, but can't distinguish or separate the improvements due to better cable or those brought about by going balanced. However, I do not experience any loss of highs. These headphones deliver the most accurate musical response from the music without sounding dry or clinical and have come to be my favourite so far.

May 14, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 42
Back from vacation and so happy to listen to my blue dragon+pro900 ^^. Drew let me know (when I contacted him to buy a blue dragon and wanted to know the difference of hardwiring) that it'd be better to bypass the internal wiring, and that may account for my feeling that the highs sound attenuated, not necessarily bad, just a smooth heavy sound.

May 15, 2009 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 42
Very interesting review thanks! I bought a blue dragon mini to mini and am using it with my iPhone, TTVJ Millet Hybrid and Westone ES3X. I am blown away by the bass I am hearing and actually feeling.

I also have a silver dragon cable on a pair of modified HF-1s (a very bass heavy pair due to PS-1 drivers) and really like the silver signature for those phones. I gotta say (that with the right choice of gear) either flavor of the Moon Audio cable rocks.

May 27, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 42
Blue Dragon V3 on Senn HD650 vs. stock Senn cable = no contest, BDV3 is the clear winner. Gets rid of some of the Senn "veil". Best headphone tweak/upgrade I ever made since going toob on my amplification.

May 27, 2009 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 42
Thats good to hear jimmyjames, I should be getting my Blue Dragon in tomorrow and it's going to be replacing the 'stock' Headroom balanced cable for my balanced Headroom Desktop setup. I listen to a lot of rock/metal and a clearer, more defined bass/midrange is important.

Jun 11, 2009 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by jimmyjames8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blue Dragon V3 on Senn HD650 vs. stock Senn cable = no contest, BDV3 is the clear winner. Gets rid of some of the Senn "veil". Best headphone tweak/upgrade I ever made since going toob on my amplification.

Jumpstarting an oldish thread to throw in my kudos to Drew on his Blue Dragon V3, too. Just received mine, replaced my stock Senn 600 cables, and wow. Really does help clear things up, and it raises the Senn's game considerably. Good stuff.

Jun 11, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #10 of 42
Yesterday I got a new dac and for the first time of using Pro 900+blue dragon I'm hearing airy open highs and fast dynamics, and violins are not sounding excessively sweet and can sound emo now! On the other hand, I'm not getting that subterranean booming anymore : / lol. Maybe in 2-4 weeks I'll compare the blue dragon vs. stock with the new dac but right now I am just going to let it burn in and get used to it. I'm guessing I have to rectify my review but maybe a month from now so my dac matures and I get used to it.

Jun 12, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #11 of 42
I've been interested in getting a pair of 'phones that Drew will do interchangeable cables on, and now Moon Audio offers the Beyerdynamic Dragon Series... ...and you have posted a very nice and articulate review for one of the very interesting Dragons indeed. Nice to hear you are still "discovering" it!! Again, thanks!

Jul 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #13 of 42
Well, I am looking forward to trying a balanced BD v3 for my HD800s. I put my money down early so as to get in line. OP's comments about poor communication concern me a tad, but I have to say Drew spent some time discussing pros and cons with me before I selected the Blue over the Silver. Since then, things are quiet but I understand that is because he has been waiting for those darn special connectors used on the HD800.

Jul 31, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #14 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by haloxt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit, June 26th, 2009:
Also I have to mention a major complaint I've had since I first tried to get my first cable from moon-audio, it's that moon-audio is not very communicative, to put it nicely. Only about 1/3 questions I ever ask get answered properly, and the last reply I got yesterday was REALLY the last straw. If I'm going to have to ask another aftermarket cable company for advice so I don't do a half-ass job modding my headphone because an aftermarket cable company that SOLD me the cable won't give me advice then I'll be doing business elsewhere.
End edit

This statement really surprises me! I wonder if your emails are getting lost for some reason (getting SPAMed?) Drew has always responded to my emails very quickly (much faster than many other vendors)! I would wholehearted recommend Moon Audio and their products (I have had Blue Dragon v3 and v2 for my Senn HD580/600/650).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back