Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Aug 30, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #2,282 of 3,060
Does anyone have both the im02 and the im70? In direct comparison, which one has more sibilance or upper midrange harshness? Which one will work with poor quality files? I am coming from the BA200 and I find that nothing sounds harsh with them.

Thanks!

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #2,283 of 3,060
  Does anyone have both the im02 and the im70? In direct comparison, which one has more sibilance or upper midrange harshness? Which one will work with poor quality files? I am coming from the BA200 and I find that nothing sounds harsh with them.

Thanks!

The IM02 will sound more revealing and transparent, which can point out bad files. The IM70 is smooth and rolled off in the treble and more forgiving. The CKR9 is a good compromise between the two which is better than the IM70 and the same price as the IM02.

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #2,284 of 3,060
From what I have read, the CKR9 doesn't isolate well enough?

Judging from the graphs over at goldenears is looks like the IM70 have a bigger treble spike compared to the IM02. But from reading impressions I don't know how accurate that is. Is it true that they test their IEMS with their own tips and not the included stock tips?

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #2,285 of 3,060

Judging from the graphs over at goldenears is looks like the IM70 have a bigger treble spike compared to the IM02. But from reading impressions I don't know how accurate that is. Is it true that they test their IEMS with their own tips and not the included stock tips?

It's important to remember that FR graphs are only part of the equation. You have to listen yourself to hear what's really going on. I can definitely tell you the IM70 is the more forgiving of the two where the IM02 is the more revealing. CKR9 has comparable isolation to the others, though the bigger bass of the IM70 is going to make it block out noise better. 

Aug 30, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #2,286 of 3,060
I haven't read anyone reporting harshness in the IM70 signature. You have nothing to worry about there.

The IM50 and 70 are low-range, FUN headphones. These type of phones are rarely ever sibilant. The reason being they aren't ambitious enough. The ones that suffer from harsh treble are the IEMs which aim to be audiophile-grade, neutral, highly detailed, earphones. They push the Balanced Armature technology to it's breaking point.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #2,287 of 3,060
Thanks for the replies guys,

About the CKR9, I would prefer something over the ear...

I think I will probably go for the IM70, I just wonder if the 9khz treble peak is real or audible?

http://en.goldenears.net/31885

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #2,288 of 3,060

I think I will probably go for the IM70, I just wonder if the 9khz treble peak is real or audible?

You have to accept the one thing...these are affordable high-if gears. They will neither break your bank, nor an end game gear. There is very specific reason why some are much more expensive than others.....don't ever think that such 3rd party gears and measurements were never taken by the manufacturer during R&D. Remember it is very hard to create and produce, much easier to take it in and criticize it

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #2,289 of 3,060

the treble "spike" is not in the lower treble (at least from memory) so at least for me, It wasn't sibilant

if anything it would be the opposite end, its really smooth (if I exaggerate, I can even go so far as to call it dull)

so if your worried about the harshness in the treble for the im70

need not worry, theres a large dip in the lower treble which imo takes away from some of the "crispiness" and snap that for example the titan 1s have.

but your getting a easy warm "chocolatey" sound... great for pulling up a recliner and put your feet up and just disappear.

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:08 PM Post #2,290 of 3,060

the peak at 9-10k I found helped bring back some air to the somewhat intimate sounding im70 (mostly due to the warm upper bass and the forward mids)

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:32 PM Post #2,291 of 3,060

I couldn't hear any harshness or sibilance.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:40 PM Post #2,293 of 3,060
  Great, and thanks for the replies. I think I will be going with the IM70s!

I think you will like them a lot. Looking at goldenears graph at the end of the page they gave IM70 pretty low scores in tranparency/coloration, dynamics and high resolution which actually they are not. They are more revealing dynamic and transparent than what goldenears claimed. 

I can go far and say I could hear some details in some songs that I couldn't hear before. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:36 AM Post #2,294 of 3,060

Thanks!

The IM02 has more prominent treble, which results in some crisp, clear highs that can be somewhat sibilant at times. The IM70 on the other hand, is quite fatigue free - highs are smooth and controlled, but are certainly not as resolving as the IM02.

Aug 31, 2015 at 5:38 AM Post #2,295 of 3,060
  Great, and thanks for the replies. I think I will be going with the IM70s!

You won't go wrong with them. They are a great IEM in its price bracket, well capable of tackling most genres with ease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back