Review of Audio Technica ATH-IM01, ATH-IM02, ATH-IM03, ATH-IM04, ATH-IM50, & ATH-IM70
Jul 28, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #2,176 of 3,060
  According to the review, the IM70 is the better all-rounder, right? And the IM50 has deeper base and more suited for EDM.

I dislike how the IM70 comes only in red, really. I like how the CKR9 has a worn down cable.

I honestly can't decide.

As I said in the comments:

"I would say they're worth the extra $80-100 over the IM70s, but depending on what you're looking for the IM70s may be better for you. The CKR9 has tighter and more controlled bass, better treble, and a more realistic sound overall. The IM70 is more of a fun IEM with beautiful mids and a smooth treble. Bass is more boomy and quite a bit bigger than the CKR9. The sound isn't as lean or realistic on the IM70, but still very natural, full, and "organic" as some people describe it. Both are excellent all rounders and the IM70 is a great value in its own bracket, but the CKR9 takes the cake in overall sound quality."

The IM70 has deeper bass than the IM50, but both are good EDM headphones. 

If you want the best of those two though, it's easily the CKR9. I love the IM70, but they just can't compete.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #2,178 of 3,060
  Is the CKR9 durable/comfortable? I've had a terrible experience with a Bose IE2, the cables rips literally everywhere.

Mine have held up well so far after a year. The cable is thin, but as long as you aren't really rough with it, it's fine. Well relieved on both ends. Comfort is always subjective, but I find them more comfortable than the IM series because of the lack of memory wire and cable down design.

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #2,180 of 3,060
  You prefer the cable down design over earhooks?

It seems to me that all audiophiles prefer earhooks, but I might be mistaken.

No, I like both. I don't worry about how they're worn; I worry about how they sound. Everyone has different preferences and it depends on the IEM. It does little good to generalize about things like that in the audio world, though people like to. 

The IM series has a memory wire that has been a source of stress for a lot of people. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #2,182 of 3,060
So the CKR9 over the IM50/70, and the IM01/02?

You know I won't be using an amp/dac setup, right?

The CKR9'S are very easy to drive so you should be fine.

I totally agree with everything @ZapX629 has said about the CKR9's vs IM70 only that I find the CKR9's to be more fun of the two :wink:

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:08 PM Post #2,183 of 3,060
The CKR9'S are very easy to drive so you should be fine.

I totally agree with everything @ZapX629 has said about the CKR9's vs IM70 only that I find the CKR9's to be more fun of the two
wink.gif

That's great. What about the IM01 and 02?

Jul 30, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #2,185 of 3,060
  So the CKR9 over the IM50/70, and the IM01/02?

You know I won't be using an amp/dac setup, right?

Yes. The CKR9 is easily the best earphone of the 5 you've mentioned. The IM02 is a good contender, but it is in no way as exciting or as fun as the CKR9. Go with the IM02 if you want a relatively balanced earphone with good clarity and detail retrieval. Go with the CKR9 if you want an all-round good IEM.

Jul 30, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #2,186 of 3,060

Yes. The CKR9 is easily the best earphone of the 5 you've mentioned. The IM02 is a good contender, but it is in no way as exciting or as fun as the CKR9. Go with the IM02 if you want a relatively balanced earphone with good clarity and detail retrieval. Go with the CKR9 if you want an all-round good IEM.

Thanks a lot for all the help. I ordered the CKR9.

Jul 31, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,187 of 3,060
I'm a few weeks into this Lunashop cable of mine, and I am very happy with it. It only took a couple of days for the strangeness to wear off. The lightness and comfort makes it significantly preferable to the stock cable.

I highly recommend this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back